Sponsored

Dealer oil change

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
For those that do their own oil changes I just received this info from Costco.
Two, 5 quart jugs for full synthetic 0W-20 oil delivered for $30!

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-sig...or-oil-5-quart,-2-pack.product.100518855.html

I’ll have to confirm that this is good oil but based on everything else that Costco sells under their Kirkland brand I’m sure it will be.
I am not seeing any where on that page it saying the oil is MS-6395 certified, as the manual says it should be and FCA would probably require for warranty
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I am not seeing any where on that page it saying the oil is MS-6395 certified, as the manual says it should be and FCA would probably require for warranty
I will preface this and say you are right in every respect to stand on the high ground of following the owners manual "recommendation" to use a MS-6395 certified oil.

Nor is the MS-6395 a rigorous standard other than the requirement that it is a two year field trial process to get certification that many well name brand oils do not bother to chase down because of the lengthy time constraints and costs and not that any current API branded oil of grade to the spec would not meet it.

In the real world, there has been no shown proven instance where someone was denied warranty solely based on a oil lacking the MS-6395 certification when both stated weight grade and current API spec has been followed and the oil was actually at fault of a lubrication failure when recommended OCI intervals were not exceeded.

I am not out to talk anybody out of not buying a MS-6395 certified oil, but if they have their favorite brand that has the correct weight and current API spec, they should not loose sleep in using it.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will preface this and say you are right in every respect to stand on the high ground of following the owners manual "recommendation" to use a MS-6395 certified oil.

Nor is the MS-6395 a rigorous standard other than the requirement that it is a two year field trial process to get certification that many well name brand oils do not bother to chase down because of the lengthy time constraints and costs and not that any current API branded oil of grade to the spec would not meet it.

In the real world, there has been no shown proven instance where someone was denied warranty solely based on a oil lacking the MS-6395 certification when both stated weight grade and current API spec has been followed and the oil was actually at fault of a lubrication failure when recommended OCI intervals were not exceeded.

I am not out to talk anybody out of not buying a MS-6395 certified oil, but if they have their favorite brand that has the correct weight and current API spec, they should not loose sleep in using it.
Early in my purchase of the JT I came across a thread (or maybe I made it, can't recall) where the topic is discussed. I personally believe that Mobil 1 is the superior oil to the Penzoil Ultra Platinum that seems to fit the bill. Folks who came across as more experienced in the matter convinced me to at least use the recommended oil until warranty was out, as oil analysis can be really specific and FCA could tell if I used the necessary oil spec or not. From a legal/practical analysis I could see that they would probably win a battle on not honoring engine warranty because I used the wrong oil. Even if there hasn't been a single case for such a decision, as you say, I still wouldn't want to be the first to test it out. An oil change every 5000 miles over is a dozen oil changes. A 5qt jug of the Penzoil Ultra Platinum is about $40. That is $500 in oil, $200 more than Mobile 1 full synthetic. I'll eat the cost difference if it means I have one less thing to even slightly concern myself with when it comes to the JT

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Early in my purchase of the JT I came across a thread (or maybe I made it, can't recall) where the topic is discussed. I personally believe that Mobil 1 is the superior oil to the Penzoil Ultra Platinum that seems to fit the bill. Folks who came across as more experienced in the matter convinced me to at least use the recommended oil until warranty was out, as oil analysis can be really specific and FCA could tell if I used the necessary oil spec or not. From a legal/practical analysis I could see that they would probably win a battle on not honoring engine warranty because I used the wrong oil. Even if there hasn't been a single case for such a decision, as you say, I still wouldn't want to be the first to test it out. An oil change every 5000 miles over is a dozen oil changes. A 5qt jug of the Penzoil Ultra Platinum is about $40. That is $500 in oil, $200 more than Mobile 1 full synthetic. I'll eat the cost difference if it means I have one less thing to even slightly concern myself with when it comes to the JT
Like I mentioned, I am not out to convince anybody to not follow the recommendations in the owners manual. Just offering a different viewpoint that people can determine for themselves if it adds value to them.

Basically boils down to how “risk-adverse” someone is? MS-6395 noncompliance alone is about as low of a risk to be almost be a statistical zero. It is my viewpoint that MS-6395 is just FCA’s way of stating what a current API SN oil is but just with an added lengthy field trial. Most oil certification programs to include what API does when they certify an oil besides actual lab analysis, is to run it on a standardize engine test bench and then certify it. For whatever reason, FCA wants MS-6395 tested on actual fleet running vehicles over a two year period and many oil companies are not going to pay for that extra third party testing cost.

My opinion on MS-6395 does not extend past it. Other MS engine oil specs FCA calls out for their SRT, DI, Diesel and Turbo applications, I agree have more unique requirements that need to be met and followed.

Last edited:

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
t is my viewpoint that MS-6395 is just FCA’s way of stating what a current API SN oil is but just with an added lengthy field trial.
That and their business dispute with Mobil 1, or so I have read. I am totally agreeing with you on using another oil. I HATE Penzoil. You nailed it on the head with it being a matter of how risk averse someone is.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
For those that do their own oil changes I just received this info from Costco.
Two, 5 quart jugs for full synthetic 0W-20 oil delivered for $30!

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-sig...or-oil-5-quart,-2-pack.product.100518855.html

I’ll have to confirm that this is good oil but based on everything else that Costco sells under their Kirkland brand I’m sure it will be.
Either before if they'll do it or after the Wave program free changes, I am switching to the same oil I use in everything else - nothing less than 5W30 - leads to less mechanical noise, quieter valve train, etc. and any engine will use it fine.

The oil in the link comes from Warren - same company that blends Supertech and AmazonBasics.
The Amazon Basics oil doesn't do well in stress testing if that means anything. Only 76,000 or so psi breakdown. I won't use anything less than 100,000 psi oil.

I find it funny that people buy a 50-60K vehicle and worry about super-cheap oil ;-)
Me - I'm going for a high PSI and high break-down temp oil as I'll be pulling a trailer.
No use skimping and going cheap for me.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Either before if they'll do it or after the Wave program free changes, I am switching to the same oil I use in everything else - nothing less than 5W30 - leads to less mechanical noise, quieter valve train, etc. and any engine will use it fine.

The oil in the link comes from Warren - same company that blends Supertech and AmazonBasics.
The Amazon Basics oil doesn't do well in stress testing if that means anything. Only 76,000 or so psi breakdown. I won't use anything less than 100,000 psi oil.

I find it funny that people buy a 50-60K vehicle and worry about super-cheap oil ;-)
Me - I'm going for a high PSI and high break-down temp oil as I'll be pulling a trailer.
No use skimping and going cheap for me.
Which specific oil do you plan to use?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That and their business dispute with Mobil 1, or so I have read. I am totally agreeing with you on using another oil. I HATE Penzoil. You nailed it on the head with it being a matter of how risk averse someone is.
Why do you hate Penzoil? It gets very good test ratings these days, the thermal breakdown temp is fairly high.......some of their oils beat oils talked about here on the forum?
I know in the past it had a bad reputation - some deserved, some not so much - more because of the people that used it not changing oil or driving short distances and never letting the engine get hot. Funny thing about psychology - sometimes it's not the product, but the sort of people that tend to use a product. If a product is good but sells for less - it's often budget people buying it who never do routine maintenance.
I don't use it because I have my own favorites rated even higher, but if I was advising people who come to my shop for engine work, I'd not discourage the use of Pennzoil because they do make some oil that's up there in the higher ratings.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Which specific oil do you plan to use?
I've had excellent results with Mobil 1 in my other Jeep engines (the 4.0 in my WJ and the 4.0 in my Eagle SX4) - but am migrating toward number 4 on this partial list -

3. 5W30 Amsoil Signature Series, synthetic = 134,352 psi

4. 5W30 Renewable Lubricants Super High Performance Passenger Vehicle Bio-SynXtra motor oil = 130,436 psi

my next choice would be the Amsoil because it's an excellent oil - but can't get it around here, have to order it. Well, for that matter, I have to order the Renewable Lubricants oil too.
I switched my Javelin 360 to the Renewable Lubricants 5w30 oil and ended up having to set the idle speed of my engine down, I had to readjust the carburetors as after a couple of changes, the idle speed increased on me. I thought - gee, that's rather telling........

Sponsored

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I've had excellent results with Mobil 1 in my other Jeep engines (the 4.0 in my WJ and the 4.0 in my Eagle SX4) - but am migrating toward number 4 on this partial list -

3. 5W30 Amsoil Signature Series, synthetic = 134,352 psi

4. 5W30 Renewable Lubricants Super High Performance Passenger Vehicle Bio-SynXtra motor oil = 130,436 psi

my next choice would be the Amsoil because it's an excellent oil - but can't get it around here, have to order it. Well, for that matter, I have to order the Renewable Lubricants oil too.
I switched my Javelin 360 to the Renewable Lubricants 5w30 oil and ended up having to set the idle speed of my engine down, I had to readjust the carburetors as after a couple of changes, the idle speed increased on me. I thought - gee, that's rather telling........
Thanks, I was actually considering switching to Amsoil when I get my JT. I figure for 60k vehicle...price of oil should not be a factor. I will be doing my own oil changes...assuming I can find disposal location within reasonable distance. I just don't trust dealers or tire shops,etc anymore for oil changes.

Also, living in FL...i think 5w30 would be better choice than the OEM recommended 0w20?

What about filters? I have always used Mobil 1 filters.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I was actually considering switching to Amsoil when I get my JT.

What about filters? I have always used Mobil 1 filters.
The Amsoil is good stuff. I chatted with one of their regional reps one time so it's also on my "top choice" list.
I have switched to the Mobil 1 filters. I was using Bosch filters.
I did some research, talked with Mobil 1 support about filters and have switched that direction. They use a synthetic material and even the smaller diameter filters will out-filter the larger can filters and hold more "stuff" in the material.
I have clearance issues in my Javelin - it's close to the alternator output, the oil pressure sending units and switch, and the headers, so I went with the smaller diameter Mobil 1 filter on it.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why do you hate Penzoil? It gets very good test ratings these days, the thermal breakdown temp is fairly high.......some of their oils beat oils talked about here on the forum?
I know in the past it had a bad reputation - some deserved, some not so much - more because of the people that used it not changing oil or driving short distances and never letting the engine get hot. Funny thing about psychology - sometimes it's not the product, but the sort of people that tend to use a product. If a product is good but sells for less - it's often budget people buying it who never do routine maintenance.
I don't use it because I have my own favorites rated even higher, but if I was advising people who come to my shop for engine work, I'd not discourage the use of Pennzoil because they do make some oil that's up there in the higher ratings.
I suppose hate is a strong word. I dislike Penzoil. I hate Valvoline. Valvoline has done terrible oil changes on my vehicles. I dislike penzoil for their company practices, their product not being as good as Mobile 1, and the color yellow on their bottles.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I suppose hate is a strong word. I dislike Penzoil. I hate Valvoline. Valvoline has done terrible oil changes on my vehicles. I dislike penzoil for their company practices, their product not being as good as Mobile 1, and the color yellow on their bottles.
Valvoline is used fairly commonly by people with higher HP legacy V8s....... there's a fair number of folks with built engines using it. As far as ratings, it's up there pretty good. But like so many other companies, they all seem to have some products better than others even within the same company. So - it depends on which of their oils you have used perhaps.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
You know those of us that have been in the motor hobby all have our favorite oil. For decades mine has been Mobil 1 for my gas engines and Shell Rotella T6 for Diesel engines.

When Jeep introduced the 3.0 Ecodiesel into the Grand Cherokee and Ram trucks they specifically mandated Penzoil Ultra something 5W-30 as the ONLY oil to use...which we did although it was a pain to find.

A couple of years in and they started having issue with some internal components of the engine...they then abruptly changed to the T6 in 5W-40.

My point being is that FCA obviously has a marketing deal with Penzoil much like Porsche and other high performance manufacturer’s do with Mobil. Does it mean that another quality synthetic oil of the proper weight will result in problems? I don’t think so. I have yet to hear of a documented case of a warranty being denied because a particular brand of oil was not used.

It is my firm belief that prudent changing of the oil and filter with quality products of the correct weight will result in hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles (at least as far as the engine goes).

Here’s something to ponder....the Jeep wave program includes 4 oil changes over the first 24 months of ownership. Unless you drive 20,000 miles a year you would not go through 4 oil changes in a 24 month period if you waited for the Jeep to tell you to have the oil changed...hmmm.
Sponsored