Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You know those of us that have been in the motor hobby all have our favorite oil. For decades mine has been Mobil 1 for my gas engines and Shell Rotella T6 for Diesel engines.

Here’s something to ponder....the Jeep wave program includes 4 oil changes over the first 24 months of ownership. Unless you drive 20,000 miles a year you would not go through 4 oil changes in a 24 month period if you waited for the Jeep to tell you to have the oil changed...hmmm.
Yup. There are a lot of very very good oils and I think you've nailed it.
I've taken many a car or truck to 100,000 and beyond. My first car - 220,000 miles on the original engine - not sure why the kid that bought it from me parked it later but the wheels I saw on it sort of told a story.....
Sponsored

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Regardless of what oil I use....I am just not on board with letting the Jeep tell me when to do a change. I plan to stick to schedule I have always used....first change @2500-3k...then probably @5k intervals going forward. Filter + Oil every time.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Regardless of what oil I use....I am just not on board with letting the Jeep tell me when to do a change. I plan to stick to schedule I have always used....first change @2500-3k...then probably @5k intervals going forward. Filter + Oil every time.
Where's the problem with that? None at all.
It's your vehicle and you plan on doing better than Jeep tells you.
I suspect if you care for the rest of it as you are talking on the oil, you'll have a long-lived vehicle or at the very least, minimize repairs that are under your control.
It's never unwise to go better than minimums in preventative maintenance.

I'm the guy who still flushes brake systems in his classic cars every two years........ won't hear me arguing against oil changes more often than 10,000 miles.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
So for Florida climate(i.e hot and sticky)....stick with recommended 0w20?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So for Florida climate(i.e hot and sticky)....stick with recommended 0w20?
For me it's an even bigger reason to go to 5w30. To me (and I'm not alone in the industry) the recommended weight is just too "thin" and it's to beef up MPG - keep CAFE numbers up, not for engine life.

Here is what at least one engineer has said -

>> Virtually any engine that calls for 5W20, can also safely use 5W30. In fact, many engines that call for 5W20 are happier, and make less mechanical noise with 5W30.

5W30 is really the optimum motor oil viscosity overall, for most water-cooled gasoline engines, including High HP engines. Any viscosity thinner than 5W30, is thinner than optimum. And any viscosity thicker than 5W30 is thicker than optimum.<<

And 0w20 is even less viscous than 5w20.

Sponsored

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Lived in Florida all my life....I and family just use to using w30 in pretty much everything....5w30 or 10w30.

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 jk rubicon hard rock 2dr ,2020 jt gladiator
I am on my 8th new jeep ,I have used Castrol oil for almost 50 years ,switched to synthetic when it became available . I have always done all my own maintainance and never had any warranty issues because of it . Also , don't waste your money on those expensive filters, i've always used factory stuff , my dealer gives me a pretty good discount on everything I buy them , By the way Ido my oil changes at 50% on these newer jeeps , around 4500 miles ,closer to the 3000 to 4000 miles that i have always changed on my older vehicles .

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I am on my 8th new jeep ,I have used Castrol oil for almost 50 years ,switched to synthetic when it became available . I have always done all my own maintainance and never had any warranty issues because of it . Also , don't waste your money on those expensive filters, i've always used factory stuff , my dealer gives me a pretty good discount on everything I buy them , By the way Ido my oil changes at 50% on these newer jeeps , around 4500 miles ,closer to the 3000 to 4000 miles that i have always changed on my older vehicles .
Who is your dealer and what kind of discount is he giving you on parts?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Have seen too many filters over the years and been in too many comparisons in forums where we analyze and cut 'em open.
I'll keep using oil filters that are better than the "this will work" filters.
MAYBE the filters sold through the dealers are fine - could be, I have not yet researched who makes them (there's only a handful of manufactures of filters, you might be surprised who actually makes your favorite brand)

There are huge differences - and we've proven it over the years with evidence, oil testing, parts in the pan, cutting filters open and seeing the filter media in nasty shape (even the paper coming apart) - I've had filter seams open, filters partially plug (cheap 'uns).
To me it's not a waste of money putting on the best filter I can find. Maybe not needed, but then insurance isn't most of the time, either.
Want to keep my "never lost an engine" thing going ;-)
I've always done maintenance for others......

Sponsored

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max
Also @ShadowsPapa what do you guys think of this diff fluid? I used it on my JK"s and wondering if it is compatible with our JT's
IMG_20200110_190610378.jpg

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who is your dealer and what kind of discount is he giving you on parts?
Hight CDJ in Skowhegan Maine , I have dealt with these guys for over 30 years. I get the same discount as the local shops .

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you find out about the Tazer footprint?
No, didn’t really think about it because I haven’t done any mods yet, very poor weather here, would rather wait till warmer weather, I do plan to use the Tazer .

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@ShadowsPapa what's your recommendation for filter and oil on our JT's?
I like Bosch or Mobil 1 filters. Mobil 1 uses a synthetic filter material, not typical paper pleats.
I've talked to the Mobile 1 support.
I've also had good luck with NAPA Gold filters - made by Wix - I've used those in my Javelins for several years.

I like Mobile 1 oil (have used in my Eagle for years), or these -

3. 5W30 Amsoil Signature Series, synthetic

4. 5W30 Renewable Lubricants Super High Performance Passenger Vehicle Bio-SynXtra motor oil

Both are highly rated on https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking
Sponsored