First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
https://www.autotrader.com/car-tips/new-car-delivery-or-destination-charges-explained-213280

I hope this clears up destination charges for everyone. Nothing shady about them being included. In fact, they're required to be disclosed but not required to be part of MSRP. If it's itemized individually at the time of sale, thats perfectly normal so long as you aren't being double-charged. Purchase price, final price, total price, etc. are not equal to MSRP. Just like paying shipping from Quadratec doesn't make the part you ordered any more or less valuable.

Destination charges: They're a thing, always there, and it should not be a surprise to see one.
If you're going to use a source as definitive, please try to make sure they don't contradict themselves:

What is MSRP? What It Means and How to Use It - Autotrader
MSRP is the car’s price as it sits in the showroom — with options, destination charge
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Just so we're in the clear here, prior to ford "discovering it's dealers were making up fake bronco orders" the name match policy was 80%. Not sure why a bunch of major new outlets picked up the 60% name match story like it was a punishment for dealers when in reality they lowered the percentage.

How can "journalists" get something so wrong? They don't care to attempt to be right. Clicks pay the bills and facts slow down the process.
cnet? Oh, the company that put spyware and adware in downloads they said were free - while you could get those same downloads from other sources unadulterated......
I avoid cnet after the BS they pulled with "free downloads" - they have moved into "journalism" but used to be something even more shady.
I spent weeks cleaning up their crap.
They used to be more of a download site but are now described as journalists. Still not sure I trust them. I ended up having to block access to their downloads in our firewalls.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
OP
OP

BowlofSoup

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
FINALLY!

Now take that in along with your purchase paperwork, show them and get your refund.

Dude, I said MSRP. all MSRP's include the destination fee. It's part of the window sticker pricing.

" As you probably know, every new vehicle in the United States comes with a window sticker, sometimes called the "Monroney." It shows the MSRP, or Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, for that vehicle. ... This number represents a discount that the manufacturer builds into the MSRP to help sell the vehicle".

I buy the vehicle Monday. I already cleared it up. This post is me venting about they they tried to screw me by tacking on the destination fee at the end (fake.....sale)

One more time.

MSRP:$46,295 (THIS INCLUDES THE DESTINATION FEE)
Discounted Price (Before Rebates):$43,000
THEY THEN ADDED THE DESTINATION FEE onto my bill of sale, bringing it back to the none sale price...

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Perfect! Mistakes do happen. And it's not uncommon for a listed MSRP price to sometimes not include destination (just remember that).

So the dealership screwed up, admitted it and corrected it. Yes?

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
This is not my first rodeo, MSRP never includes the deleivery fee (its a charge on the sticker from Jeep) and almost all dealers tack on a dealer handling fee of $300-800. Come on, you didn't ask the right questions because none of that is new. In your deal, all these items are listed. You should have a signed deal before you put money down.
It may not be your first rodeo, but being a rodeo clown doesn't teach you anything about riding bulls

Title 15 Chapter 28 Section 1232(f)(4) states:
the total of the amounts specified pursuant to paragraphs (1), (2), and (3);
where 1, 2, and 3 list the base price, the options, and the destination charge

OP
OP

BowlofSoup

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Perfect! So the dealership screwed up, admitted it and corrected it. Yes?
No, they literally said "at the end of the month we subtract the destination fee from the online prices to get people to come in". That's a fake sale..... that's the point of this thread. fake sale.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, they literally said "at the end of the month we subtract the destination fee from the online prices to get people to come in". That's a fake sale..... that's the point of this thread. fake sale.
I buy the vehicle Monday. I already cleared it up.
Sounds like it isn't cleared up then. Demand the double-charge be removed. They can change the online price all they want, that's fine, but they can't charge twice for the same line item.

Based on your images, the MSRP never changed, and always matched the window sticker. The sticker shows destination is included in the $46k. They can then increase or decrease the discount after that, but if they have a separate line item for destination charge that's probably not legal based on what you've shown here.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It may not be your first rodeo, but being a rodeo clown doesn't teach you anything about riding bulls

Title 15 Chapter 28 Section 1232(f)(4) states:

where 1, 2, and 3 list the base price, the options, and the destination charge
And this makes it pretty clear - base price and options prices and destination charge = MSRP

(f)the following information:
(1)
the retail price of such automobile suggested by the manufacturer;
(2)
the retail delivered price suggested by the manufacturer for each accessory or item of optional equipment, physically attached to such automobile at the time of its delivery to such dealer, which is not included within the price of such automobile as stated pursuant to paragraph (1);
(3)
the amount charged, if any, to such dealer for the transportation of such automobile to the location at which it is delivered to such dealer; and
(4)

In other words, (1)base+(2)options+(3)destination charge is (4) - the MSRP

Pretty simple - 1 plus 2 plus 3 = 4 which is MSRP

Law says MSRP must include 1 through 3. Cornell Law School has the law posted.
Doesn't appear to be an option!

OP
OP

BowlofSoup

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Sounds like it isn't cleared up then. Demand the double-charge be removed. They can change the online price all they want, that's fine, but they can't charge twice for the same line item.

Based on your images, the MSRP never changed, and always matched the window sticker. They can increase or decrease the discount, but if they have a separate line item for destination charge that's probably not legal based on what you've shown here.
Let me rephrase. They are still selling there cars with a fake sales online and tacking on destination fee under a seperate line.

That is not happening to me anymore because I called them out on it. I'm buying it for invoice

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
You must be pretty entitled to read a post about a dealership and think that they must be the good honest character in the story.

Both dealers told me when ordering that they didn't care if I cancelled. The one in Mass wanted me to so his commission would be higher.
I didn’t see that you edited your post and called me entitled. Lol. Irony.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And this makes it pretty clear - base price and options prices and destination charge = MSRP

(f)the following information:
(1)
the retail price of such automobile suggested by the manufacturer;
(2)
the retail delivered price suggested by the manufacturer for each accessory or item of optional equipment, physically attached to such automobile at the time of its delivery to such dealer, which is not included within the price of such automobile as stated pursuant to paragraph (1);
(3)
the amount charged, if any, to such dealer for the transportation of such automobile to the location at which it is delivered to such dealer; and
(4)

In other words, (1)base+(2)options+(3)destination charge is (4) - the MSRP

Pretty simple - 1 plus 2 plus 3 = 4 which is MSRP

Law says MSRP must include 1 through 3. Cornell Law School has the law posted.
Doesn't appear to be an option!
Be careful. Law doesn't say that has to be called MSRP. It just states it must be clearly posted. You can itemize all 3 points as separate line items at the time of purchase if you want in which case destination is not going to look like part of MSRP, but the total would still add up to (4).

Or you could put them all under 1 line item as a total and it would look like it's all part of MSRP.

Either way is acceptable.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Let me rephrase. They are still selling there cars with a fake sales online and tacking on destination fee under a seperate line.

That is not happening to me anymore because I called them out on it. I'm buying it for invoice
If you don't read the window sticker - you sure aren't a savvy buyer. IF all you go by is what you see on the web - that's on you.
ONLY THE WINDOW STICKER is required to list base, options and destination and then add those up and show the MSRP. The MSRP on the window sticker must be a total of all that the auto maker has on that sticker.
What the dealer does is up to them, and how you interpret it is up to you but if you didn't read that sticker, it's on you.
No one should ever go by print ads or internet ads - get that final price in writing.
If you have the VIN you can likely get a copy of the window sticker by sitting at your computer at home. I did - I found the vin and got a copy of my window sticker before the dealer even had the bloody truck.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
And for all you "feel bad for dealership people"... Can we stop acting like they don't try to screw the majority of their customers over?
No. That’s a generalization and I don’t operate that way when it comes to anything. I know lots of honest people and dealerships and it’s not fair to lump them all together.
Sponsored