Sponsored

Dealerships can be so sneaky

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Pop quiz: At what price is the mnfr suggesting the vehicle be sold? Ford and toyota and kia certainly make this easy by declaring the largest number on the sticker the "Total MSRP", and i understand other mnfrs attempt to obfuscate, but while armchair apologists attempt to find a way to excuse bad behavior, one thing remains clear: MSRP isn't just a mish-mash of letters we've assigned meaning to, it's an acronym. The total price on the window sticker is, in fact, the price the manufacturer is suggesting the vehicle be sold at.
MSRP is the price a dealership is suggested to sell the vehicle at to make a certain profit. I can understand why you'd confuse that with sticker price, but it doesn't always work that way. Freight and PDI charges are above and beyond the suggested price as explained in previous posts and are passed directly on to the consumer for that very reason. The dealership does not make any profit on Freight or PDI charges, so these do not enter into the typical MSRP number calculation.

There's a very common misconception surrounding what MSRP really is, and it has also led to a gross misuse and poor understanding of the acronym. Inevitably that leads to misinformed consumers like we have here. It doesn't mean "sticker price" or "out the door price" or anything close. It's a dealership's suggested sale price for the vehicle as optioned. Taxes, fees, charges are extra. The only reason the destination charge gets so prominently displayed on the sticker and summed up is due to the law. Again, that law does not re-define MSRP though. So-called "armchair apologists" don't enter in to it.

If you want to say "destination fees are always part of the sticker price" you'd be right. No argument there. To say "destination fees are always part of the MSRP price" is not right. Sometimes? Sure, maybe. Depends on the brand and dealership. But always? No, not always. You need to use the right words to convey the right information.

This is why you often see your bill of sale and purchase agreement in a different format from the window sticker. It's also the reason that many many new car purchases have a separate, independent line item for delivery/destination charges. It's because that's a passed-on cost, not a dealership mark-up cost. To the consumer this might not make sense, but on the business and accounting side, it makes tons of sense. Think about doing COGS calculations, and your goods are vehicles. You gotta keep them separate in your mind to see and understand it all correctly.

I'll leave this thread at that. It's primed to jump off the rails at this point. We defined what a destination charge is, the OP got squared away, and now we're down here splitting hairs on poorly used and understood acronyms. I've said my piece on this. No reason to go further.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
MSRP is the price a dealership is suggested to sell the vehicle at to make a certain profit. I can understand why you'd confuse that with sticker price, but it doesn't always work that way. Freight and PDI charges are above and beyond the suggested price as explained in previous posts and are passed directly on to the consumer for that very reason. The dealership does not make any profit on Freight or PDI charges, so these do not enter into the typical MSRP number calculation.

There's a very common misconception surrounding what MSRP really is, and it has also led to a gross misuse and poor understanding of the acronym. Inevitably that leads to misinformed consumers like we have here. It doesn't mean "sticker price" or "out the door price" or anything close. It's a dealership's suggested sale price for the vehicle as optioned. Taxes, fees, charges are extra. The only reason the destination charge gets so prominently displayed on the sticker and summed up is due to the law. Again, that law does not re-define MSRP though. So-called "armchair apologists" don't enter in to it.

If you want to say "destination fees are always part of the sticker price" you'd be right. No argument there. To say "destination fees are always part of the MSRP price" is not right. Sometimes? Sure, maybe. Depends on the brand and dealership. But always? No, not always. You need to use the right words to convey the right information.

This is why you often see your bill of sale and purchase agreement in a different format from the window sticker. It's also the reason that many many new car purchases have a separate, independent line item for delivery/destination charges. It's because that's a passed-on cost, not a dealership mark-up cost. To the consumer this might not make sense, but on the business and accounting side, it makes tons of sense. Think about doing COGS calculations, and your goods are vehicles. You gotta keep them separate in your mind to see and understand it all correctly.

I'll leave this thread at that. It's primed to jump off the rails at this point. We defined what a destination charge is, the OP got squared away, and now we're down here splitting hairs on poorly used and understood acronyms. I've said my piece on this. No reason to go further.
ever handled an invoice for a new vehicle? I've sold them from ford, kia, chevy, saturn, nissan, hyundai, and jeep.

guess what each one says about sticker price on their invoice? Hint: sticker price is msrp, and any attempt at redefinition is as attempt at obfuscation for the purposes of making money.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I just did the math on my truck's window sticker and the destination charge IS part of that final price.
I added the MSRP which is in the upper left, then the options one by one, then the destination charge.
It all added up to the price in the lower right.
So if you consider the BASE price the MSRP the destination charge is not in that, but it IS in the final number - AND SO IS DEALER PREP!

Jeep Gladiator Dealerships can be so sneaky 1640220603524

Take that, which is MSRP AND INCLUDES DEALER PREP, add the options, add destination charge and you get this price -

Jeep Gladiator Dealerships can be so sneaky 1640220660083

MSRP + all options + destination charge = Total Price and that includes dealer prep so don't let them charge you dealer prep again.

OP
OP

BowlofSoup

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
HOW? They Ran a fake sale. that's it. that's it. I a
I just did the math on my truck's window sticker and the destination charge IS part of that final price.
I added the MSRP which is in the upper left, then the options one by one, then the destination charge.
It all added up to the price in the lower right.
So if you consider the BASE price the MSRP the destination charge is not in that, but it IS in the final number - AND SO IS DEALER PREP!

Take that, which is MSRP AND INCLUDES DEALER PREP, add the options, add destination charge and you get this price -

MSRP + all options + destination charge = Total Price and that includes dealer prep so don't let them charge you dealer prep again.
The base prise is NOT the MSRP. The TOTAL is the MSRP. Thank you for confirming that know you have no idea what you're talking about. It's amazing how confident you seem yet you have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

OP
OP

BowlofSoup

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK

The base prise is NOT the MSRP. The TOTAL is the MSRP. Thank you for confirming that know you have no idea what you're talking about. It's amazing how confident you seem yet you have no idea what the hell you're talking about.
Seriously, you staying in this thread this whole time, telling me I don't know what I'm talking about, and then you confirming you have no idea what MSRP is. That was an early Christmas gift.

Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
People can be so sneaky
HOW? They place orders for trucks they don't want and then complain about the price of a lot vehicle!

Man, relax. Your issue got squared away and you got the truck you wanted. Clearly a mistake was made by that dealership and they fixed it! You misspoke, they misspoke, and in the end it all worked out. Calm down before you road rage your new truck off the highway.

OP
OP

BowlofSoup

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Seriously, you staying in this thread this whole time, telling me I don't know what I'm talking about, and then you confirming you have no idea what MSRP is. That was an early Christmas
People can be so sneaky
HOW? They place orders for trucks they don't want and then complain about the price of a lot vehicle!

Man, relax. Your issue got squared away and you got the truck you wanted. Clearly a mistake was made by that dealership and they fixed it! You misspoke, they misspoke, and in the end it all worked out. Calm down before you road rage your new truck off the highway.
You know what's more helpful? Calling out the people who have no idea what they were talking yet still acted like a dealership being shady was on me. All I did was call out a shady dealership. And people here, who have no idea what MSRP is, attacked me and said I'm in the wrong.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

You can read what I posted, I assume. You do see the WORDS IN YELLOW, correct?
What do the words in yellow say?
And what is that number below those words?

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price............ of this model including dealer preparation
And then what's there? 40,395 That is the MSRP of my truck. It even says the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price right above it.
I am confident because I have written proof from Jeep!
Yeah - read 'em and weep - Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price.

Jeep Gladiator Dealerships can be so sneaky 1640228282102

Now look down here -

Does it say MSRP anywhere near THIS price? Does it say this is the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price? I don't think so. I have multiple window stickers here from multiple Jeeps, a Ford Ranger.

The price ABOVE is MSRP.

THIS is the TOTAL price - Jeep even says so - are they lying?
Do you see the words or letters MSRP here?
(this total price DOES include destination charge, MSRP ABOVE does not)

Jeep Gladiator Dealerships can be so sneaky 1640228589331

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP

BowlofSoup

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
You can read what I posted, I assume. You do see the WORDS IN YELLOW, correct?
What do the words in yellow say?
And what is that number below those words?

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price............ of this model including dealer preparation
And then what's there? 40,395 That is the MSRP of my truck. It even says the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price right above it.
I am confident because I have written proof from Jeep!
Yeah - read 'em and weep - Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price.

1640228282102.png

Now look down here -

Does it say MSRP anywhere near THIS price? Does it say this is the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price? I don't think so. I have multiple window stickers here from multiple Jeeps, a Ford Ranger.

The price ABOVE is MSRP.

THIS is the TOTAL price - Jeep even says so - are they lying?
Do you see the words or letters MSRP here?
(this total price DOES include destination charge, MSRP ABOVE does not)

1640228589331.png
You're seriously an idiot. Base price is not MSRP. How are you chiming in so much yet you're this dumb?

Jeep Gladiator Dealerships can be so sneaky Screenshot_20211222-222414_Drive

Jerry C

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara 2022 gladiator on order
Occupation
retired engineer
Some dealerships don’t include the destination charge on their online pricing. Simply asking to see the window sticker should have cleared that up. Honestly though, unless I’m missing some info here, you sound kinda shady yourself ordering two different Gladiators from different dealerships with the intention of purchasing one. Am I missing something here?
I have a 2022 on order I was told shipping is built into the price from Jeep. My quote for a pimped-out Sport S is $52,875 plus tax.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2022 on order I was told shipping is built into the price from Jeep. My quote for a pimped-out Sport S is $52,875 plus tax.
Destination charge is part of the "total price" you see on the Jeep window sticker.
I added up three of them, 2 for Grand Cherokee and 1 for my Gladiator. (my wife was watching old TV reruns so I did some math on my window sticker "collection")
So in my post above, that total price of 56,055 does include destination charge.
Yes, makes total sense that your 52,875 price includes that.

OP
OP

BowlofSoup

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Destination charge is part of the "total price" you see on the Jeep window sticker.
I added up three of them, 2 for Grand Cherokee and 1 for my Gladiator. (my wife was watching old TV reruns so I did some math on my window sticker "collection")
So in my post above, that total price of 56,055 does include destination charge.
Yes, makes total sense that your 52,875 price includes that.
https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/how-to-read-a-new-car-window-sticker.html

The total price is the MSRP for the vehicle... My God how do you not know this?
Sponsored