Sponsored

debating about bedliner on order

mbelanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looking for Gladiator
Having made the decision to pass on the Texas Trail manual in Bastrop, I am now working on my list of options for a spec order...

One of the issues I am going back and forth about is the bedliner. On the one hand, I know that there is an argument for ease by having it already in place when it is transported. On the other hand, I have concerns about the level of care actually taken in the spraying.

I know if I have it done after delivery, I can ensure all things like tailgate access covers and bolts are definitely removed. Reading through some of the posts here and elsewhere, it seems that the factory spray does not always take that level of care. While I ideally never need to access the innards of the tailgate, I know from my experience in the Ford truck community that it is ALSO beneficial to remove other bolts or bolted items (like tie-downs).

I am not inclined to go the aftermarket drop-in route simply because I hated pulling it out of the F350 from time to time to make sure drain holes didn't get clogged up.

Thnx!
Sponsored

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
I ordered mine with the bedliner and am happy with it. Had to use thread chaser to get a couple of the holes cleared, but they did a very clean job overall. It was pretty much exactly what I expected though I have nothing to compare it to as aftermarket Rhino, Line-X and such go.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
My factory bedliner is thin, better than paint but not heavy duty like I could have gotten for the same or less money from LineX or Rhino. I have had both in Rams, and liked the Rhino best. The shop is important, not only for prep, but to get thickness. Some reduce thickness when you chisel the pricing.

tbaker

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver Jeep gladiator rubicon
I thought I read where the factory spray in bed liner wasnā€™t offered anymore I have the factory spray in bed liner in my gladiator and I also have a rubber bed mat in mine also

OP
OP

mbelanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looking for Gladiator
I ordered mine with the bedliner and am happy with it. Had to use thread chaser to get a couple of the holes cleared, but they did a very clean job overall. It was pretty much exactly what I expected though I have nothing to compare it to as aftermarket Rhino, Line-X and such go.
Would you be able to easily remove the tailgate access plate or did they spray OVER the bolts that hold the covers? Ditto with tie-downs.

Sponsored

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Bolts were removed before spraying, tie downs are coated, but very evenly. Perhaps done while out of the vehicle. I'll snap a couple of pictures.

467FC624-A940-4CD5-A630-17D25AA154E2.jpeg

2C43A55D-9292-44D3-A38F-E502F23F19B5.jpeg

JTpoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Tyrant
Just throwing in my 2c. I have a drop-in now and wish I wouldā€™ve just spent the extra couple of hundred on LineX or Bullet. Iā€™ve had LineX in work trucks and they held up phenomenally well to some serious abuse. Conversely, Iā€™ve also had drop-ins in work trucks and they have been great too. The ones for the JT just donā€™t seem to fit as well or look as good.

The factory spray-in is probably just fine but after seeing the due diligence in prep and spray from my local LineX guy, and at roughly the same cost, Iā€™m gonna go w aftermarket from now on.

Last edited:

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I had my truck sprayed after I bought it and the Line x dealer that I took it to did a fantastic job and took care not to fill in holes or mess up any bolt it was absolutely perfect

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Another vote for LineX. Tommy, on TFL Truck, described how he had to drill out holes that had been filled by the factory bed liner (when he was mounting a rack). I've heard this more than once on this forum. I was really happy with my local LineX dealer, who took a lot of time and care. LineX is also super strong.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
Most access covers/plugs are sprayed over in place. I was told this is done as the plug/cover wonā€™t snap back in due to thickness of the material.
My dealer told me to go aftermarket as it is far better and cheaper.
It was $300 and definitely thicker than a factory installed bed liner they had.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mbelanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looking for Gladiator
Thnx all!

This pushes me towards aftermarket...

Now I just have to decide on the rest of the wants to be covered as factory versus DIY!

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
I got Rhino liner on a special. I love it. Believe it or not it's one of my favorite mods to date.

mallcorn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Professional
Having made the decision to pass on the Texas Trail manual in Bastrop, I am now working on my list of options for a spec order...

One of the issues I am going back and forth about is the bedliner. On the one hand, I know that there is an argument for ease by having it already in place when it is transported. On the other hand, I have concerns about the level of care actually taken in the spraying.

I know if I have it done after delivery, I can ensure all things like tailgate access covers and bolts are definitely removed. Reading through some of the posts here and elsewhere, it seems that the factory spray does not always take that level of care. While I ideally never need to access the innards of the tailgate, I know from my experience in the Ford truck community that it is ALSO beneficial to remove other bolts or bolted items (like tie-downs).

I am not inclined to go the aftermarket drop-in route simply because I hated pulling it out of the F350 from time to time to make sure drain holes didn't get clogged up.

Thnx!
First Class job with their spray -in-liners. I always add a rubber floor mat on top of that for two reasons:
1. keep stuff from sliding around as the rubber softens and helps with the grip
2. crawling across sprayed bed in shorts is like 80grit sand paper on the knees.... :)
Sponsored