Sponsored

Defrost - Updates?

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I have tried searching the forum, but couldn't find an answer, so...

When the JL and JT were new, there were complaints about the defrost not working very well. Has this been resolved in newer model years?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

tobyw

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT-R
My personal experience with an '18 JLU-R, a '21 JT-R, and now a '23 JT-R is that the defroster, and in fact all HVAC modes, work more than sufficiently for my needs. I have several complaints about the JL/JT platform, but HVAC isn't among them 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
My personal experience with an '18 JLU-R, a '21 JT-R, and now a '23 JT-R is that the defroster, and in fact all HVAC modes, work more than sufficiently for my needs. I have several complaints about the JL/JT platform, but HVAC isn't among them 🤷‍♂️
Thanks for the reply!

It seemed like the issue was sort of common - but sometimes these things get magnified on forums. But here are some of the things that were circulating a couple of years ago:

TFL commented on the defroster when they had a Gladiator:

Threads like this one on the JL forum:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2021-defroster-issue-in-winter.60997/

Last edited:

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I think the complaint percentage is going to vary on what kind of winters people are having. I live in the mid-Atlantic with maybe 3-4 weeks of snow weather and really have not had any noticeable problems with the defrost in the 3 Gladiators I have owned.

Maybe if I lived in Michigan or middle of nowhere Iowa, I probably would have a complaint about the defrost.

iceman47

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Gladiator Mojave, 2022 Wrangler Rubi 4Xe
Occupation
Retired Engineering Manager
I agree. My 21 Mojave is fine.

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
The complaint lies in the fact that the defrosters are concentrated on the center of the windshield.
The design doesn't allow even distribution across the windshield, but comes out in just the center.
If this is an issue for you, there little squares, appx 1"x1" that fit in defroster openings that will aid in spreading the air movement evenly across the glass. With a little experimentation of course.

Fundamental Jeepster

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
retired
I live in the middle of nowhere Iowa and no complaints here. This will be my 4th winter and expecting it to defrost like it's has been. :like:

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
The complaint lies in the fact that the defrosters are concentrated on the center of the windshield.
The design doesn't allow even distribution across the windshield, but comes out in just the center.
If this is an issue for you, there little squares, appx 1"x1" that fit in defroster openings that will aid in spreading the air movement evenly across the glass. With a little experimentation of course.
Or just keep a bunch of ducks on the dash...

OP
OP

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Hi folks,
Thanks for the replies. So it sounds like there has been no change to the design of the defroster. I remember reading about people buying plastic inserts on Amazon and using them to redistribute the air flow. Kind of disappointing in what is a pretty expensive vehicle for its class. When I owned a CJ-7 this was the sort of thing you dismissed as a "Jeep thing" - but that was when Jeeps were really basic and relatively inexpensive vehicles. Not sure that plays as well when the sticker on a Rubicon is over $60K. I live at 8500 feet, and winters are long and cold. My car is the one that gets parked outside... Thanks again.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
People make the comparison a lot but with Jeeps and most vehicles in general, price paid and quality of product or design are not a direct relationship.
Sponsored