Sponsored

Diesel owners with a Clayton Lift kit-- I need help...

Bucephalus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator/ 20 AMG GLB 35/ 02 Ranger/ 06 BMW M3
Occupation
Laboratory and Medical Supplies
SO, NO ONE THINKS THAT IT'S WEIRD THAT I HAVE 3.5" SPRINGS IN FRONT, BUT THAT THE FOX SHOCKS ARE ONLY 3" OF TRAVEL?
I did but I don't know shit about Jeeps.lol
Sponsored

CaptNkllm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
The Springs will hold ride height and the shocks control the ride and roll (basically)

The shocks are made to work in certain areas of the ride height and downward trend of the vehicle ... Maybe its right but The shock I would think should match the travel of the Arms/Ride height/ bump stops

The valving works on the top couple inches then the bottom part of the shocks does something totally different (as I understand them.)

But this is my first project on a jeep but ran a lot of sand cars through the years.. You dont use 18" shocks on 24" travel.

QuickOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
I have this kit on order with Clayton, but when I talked to them they said they were 2.5" springs with an extra coil as a spacer, basically. Not 3.5" springs.

@Clayton Off Road - can you guys clarify?

Agree with other posts here. Also, could you post your alignment numbers? Also control arm numbers? Would be helpful in diagnosis.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I have this kit on order with Clayton, but when I talked to them they said they were 2.5" springs with an extra coil as a spacer, basically. Not 3.5" springs.

Agree with other posts here. Also, could you post your alignment numbers? Also control arm numbers? Would be helpful in diagnosis.
That sounds a little misleading. But I guess, not really.

The spring rate is greater than factory.
They are the same coils they use in the gas engine that they sell as a 3.5” spring.
They use this same spring for the diesel but call it a 2.5” lift spring.

In any case, if you are going with a lifter greater than 2”, Clayton’s seems like the way to go.

As for the OP’s problem, I’d love to hear if they tried swapping shocks side to side or running stock shocks to see if it is a bad shock.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

My apologies I'm not sure I fully understand this, do you mean you just have the normal kit on order but are going to be running a spacer in combination? The two ways customers have run this kit are either with the taller spring up front or a small spacer in combination with the normal spring. Either way works while we work towards a more definitive Diesel solution! Hopefully this helps!

Sponsored

QuickOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My apologies I'm not sure I fully understand this, do you mean you just have the normal kit on order but are going to be running a spacer in combination? The two ways customers have run this kit are either with the taller spring up front or a small spacer in combination with the normal spring. Either way works while we work towards a more definitive Diesel solution! Hopefully this helps!
No - well, I hope not. I called and ordered the 2.5" Overland Plus kit and when I spoke with James he said it was basically the gas springs with an extra wind to account for the added weight of the diesel.

Clarification would be great!

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
No - well, I hope not. I called and ordered the 2.5" Overland Plus kit and when I spoke with James he said it was basically the gas springs with an extra wind to account for the added weight of the diesel.

Clarification would be great!
Gotcha then it's the taller front spring you're referring to, it's one inch taller than the standard 2.5" coil spring and helps remove some of the rake that heavy diesel motor adds.

QuickOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha then it's the taller front spring you're referring to, it's one inch taller than the standard 2.5" coil spring and helps remove some of the rake that heavy diesel motor adds.
Cool - then this is the same kit I have on order (the wait is long..) - including the fox shocks. Hope we can find a resolution to this as well.

OP
OP
aevgladitorrubi

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
OP still having issues or did everything get figured out?
Issues-- got an appointment scheduled with a COR installer shop 2 hours away in 3 weeks...

Sponsored

QuickOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Issues-- got an appointment scheduled with a COR installer shop 2 hours away in 3 weeks...
You said the alignment numbers are "within range", but what do you mean by that exactly? Could you post your numbers?

QuickOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could you describe in detail the ride quality issues you're seeing? You mentioned it jumps all over when you hit bumps, but more detail? Does it sway? Is it jittery? Do you feel the steering wheel sawing back and forth?

Alignment specs look ok - though I think I'd run higher caster. I had good luck with my other JLs with a caster closer to 6-6.5.

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2021 Gladiator Diesel Rubicon) (2020 Gladiator Overland) (2004 TJ, 2" lift).

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
just got my alignment done today, here is my number.. My drives straight..

20210430_142033.jpg
Sponsored