Difference between Sport S and Rubicon Suspension

Jtleng

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I have a Sport S with the regular tow package and was going to put on Rubicon shocks/coils but I'm reading that the Rubicon coils are kind of spongy. Do you think they will be stiffer than the non max-tow coils? I think the current stock setup is too soft and I like a little stiffer ride. I will be towing my RZR around but will probably never tow over 3k lbs
Yes, the rubi suspension is stiffer than the stock sport s but handles much better off road.
Sponsored

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I just scored some take off rubi springs and shocks to put on my sport S. Does anyone know if the shocks are side specific like the springs are?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I just scored some take off rubi springs and shocks to put on my sport S. Does anyone know if the shocks are side specific like the springs are?
No, just front to rear specific.

Ace310

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Hey guys,
New to the forum but been reading different topics and posts for a while. Decided to join because I’m picking up my new Sport S without the max tow package this week. I know it’s been posted somewhere but just to clarify if I get shocks and springs from a rubicon I can put those on my sport S with the Daystar 1.5 level kit in the front and be good to go right? I don’t need anything extra? Do I still need the strut extension that comes with the kit with the fox shocks from the rubicon? Thanks guys and excited to join!

Sponsored

jagonz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator sport s
If your going to tow leave the stock springs. I think if you have a JT with non max tow, or tow in general the rubi take of stuff is great.
i know it seems like we have all asked a similar question in different ways so i don't mean to add to it. but i just want to clarify because i feel like I'm in the same boat as you. your current set up is you have your sport s max tow springs back in the rear and you have the fox rubi shocks all the way around? my question is, did you keep the rubi springs in the front and if so do you regret it? do you even suggest changing out the front springs at all? i have a full rubi swap that I got for free and after reading 10 pages of this post i want to make sure i make the right move. i will be towing with this truck. i want to put 35's on it. based on what i can tell it seems like if you could do it all over again you would have only added the shocks and not the springs in the front or the rear at all?

Kdub32

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Is the height of the sport s and rubi spring different? Or is it just the stiffness? I own a sport s and considering doing Rubi shocks no springs... thoughts?

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Is the height of the sport s and rubi spring different? Or is it just the stiffness? I own a sport s and considering doing Rubi shocks no springs... thoughts?
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...rt-s-and-rubicon-suspension.17918/post-423345
As said above the issue i had was the rubi springs felt too spongy bouncy for my liking. For the wife to notice that on her first ride was a a clue. She didn't like the ride nor did i. On highway it was fine but we live in rural SW VA and the windy bouncy mountain roads showed the ride change very quickly. The stock springs with the spacer ride as it did when i drove it home from the dealer. I do not notice the shock difference but I also dont drive it daily as my wife does.
What about just replacing the front springs on a Max tow?

RiderDad27

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I tried the Rubi springs for about 2 weeks and then swapped out the stock Max Tow rear springs and have been on those for a couple of weeks. The max tow springs do feel a bit stiffer, but when I had them out side by side they were the exact same height unsprung next to each other. My guess is the max tow springs probably have a different spring weight than the Rubi springs. Rubi springs are designed to give it a little height and soak up stuff off road, which they do.
My advice is if you plan on using your JT for towing and want a slightly stiffer ride in the back then leave the max tow springs in the rear. If you are looking for off road performance and don't care about the extra 600lbs towing capacity then go with the Rubicon springs.

I do notice more of a "Floaty" feel with the Rubicon springs, but the max tow springs aren't far behind either. Jeeps in general ride soft and "Float" on the road it's the nature of the beast, but now we have a Jeep Truck and we expect it to ride like a Truck with independent suspension and that's just not the case. Not much has changed underneath these Jeeps. Still has bars and links trying to hold a solid axle straight.
The more I drive my JT the more I get used to it and I forget what my F150 felt like. lol
Did you kept the front max tow springs or swapped with rubi?
And why? :)
Thanks
Sponsored