Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I wont be taking delivery of a Gladiator until next month but fuse F05 looks interesting. Anyone feel brave enough to pull it and see what happens?
F05 5amp Security Gateway
:movember: Tempting
Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
Donā€™t do it!!

The IRS and Social Security administration will call you because of a problem and they will connect you to federal agents.
All of whom want to help you with a custom virus protection software that they can remote in to your computer to fix for you!

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Donā€™t do it!!

The IRS and Social Security administration will call you because of a problem and they will connect you to federal agents.
All of whom want to help you with a custom virus protection software that they can remote in to your computer to fix for you!

OP
OP
FrankFrqnkFrank

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
I wont be taking delivery of a Gladiator until next month but fuse F05 looks interesting. Anyone feel brave enough to pull it and see what happens?
F05 5amp Security Gateway
Following

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
The Security Gateway is for the OBDII port; it's the thing you need to disable to connect JScan or a Tazer.

Kevin

Sponsored

OP
OP
FrankFrqnkFrank

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
As to oneā€˜s phone profiteering on your data, at least Apple is helping to swing the pendulum

Bandolero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
First, a cellular modem uses the cellular network to provide an internet connection. That is its purpose. We're talking about a 4G modem from Sierra Wireless, similar to the modem in an iPhone or Android phone, or one you plug into your laptop. I've bought many 4G hotspots that use Sierra Wireless modems.

The modem is in the head unit, connected to a TI Jacinto processor, which is connected to a CAN bus. The TI processor, which might be called an 'Applications Processor', is a powerful CPU running some flavor of Android or Linux. It is not in the user's control: the software to control the modem and exchange messages with the CAN bus is provided by UConnect / Panasonic / FCA / Sirius, you cannot access the operating system and determine exactly what it is doing. One of the applications, 'Sirius XM Guardian', I believe is capable of starting the motor, locking and unlocking the doors, etc., so it is clear that the underlying head unit computer is capable of sending messages to the CAN bus. It's just a matter of software, and again, that software is not under the user's control, and is opaque to the user.

A few years ago some hackers discovered that they could upload a software patch to the head unit that allowed them to do all sorts of things to a Jeep. The FCA/Uconnect/etc. people 'fixed' this so that outside hackers could not access the necessary bits so easily. A secure system is an improvement, of course. However the people who build the software and hardware still have the keys to the kingdom, and as long as the modem is in there it is unclear how much remote control is available to the official channels.

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

There was a class-action lawsuit against FCA attempting to force the separation of the modem from the CAN bus.

https://www.tripwire.com/state-of-s...th-class-action-lawsuit-in-wake-of-jeep-hack/

The suit was dismissed

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2020/jeep-hacking-lawsuit-dismissed.shtml#:~:text=March 30, 2020 ā€” A Jeep,Uconnect 8.4AN infotainment systems.&text=The class action was filed,consumer has ever been injured.

The point here isn't that a hacker might take control of your Jeep. The point is that, like a typical 'connected' vehicle, the system is designed so that someone or some service at the other end of the modem (across the internet) is able to access functions in controllers other than the head unit. By clicking 'I agree' on the UConnect / SiriusXM Guardian privacy policy agreements you are giving others permission to access data and control systems on your vehicle, but even if you don't click that button, the software is still capable of all sorts of things, none of which are documented publicly.

Call me paranoid, I don't like how the system is implemented, and unless I have control over the software on the head unit, I'm not willing to give control to anyone else either.
forgive me if this comes across as dense. If I wasnā€™t too married to the factory radioā€¦. Could I just swap to an aftermarket radio and disable all the tracking ? Or maybe install a toggle switch on the power wire to the radio and kill the tracking when I donā€™t want it on?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
forgive me if this comes across as dense. If I wasnā€™t too married to the factory radioā€¦. Could I just swap to an aftermarket radio and disable all the tracking ? Or maybe install a toggle switch on the power wire to the radio and kill the tracking when I donā€™t want it on?
There is no 'tracking' going on, the vehicles location is not being actively monitored. The head unit uses the cellular connection to periodically report its location to the servers, or to answer back if the location is requested. Subscribers pay about $300 per year for this service. It includes Remote Start, Lock, Unlock, and Horn activation. The connection also allows OTA software updates for the head unit (not the truck computers).

To disable Location Reporting you would need to disconnect the cellular antenna, or shut down power to the head unit.

Bandolero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Disable GPS Tracking? IMG_1151
There is no 'tracking' going on, the vehicles location is not being actively monitored. The head unit uses the cellular connection to periodically report its location to the servers, or to answer back if the location is requested. Subscribers pay about $300 per year for this service. It includes Remote Start, Lock, Unlock, and Horn activation. The connection also allows OTA software updates for the head unit (not the truck computers).

To disable Location Reporting you would need to disconnect the cellular antenna, or shut down power to the head unit.
Fair enough. You can never be too sure. I pay for the services and every month or so you get an update like the one below to the privacy policy that makes you question why they need to collect ā€œ Vehicle, performance and driving data, precise geolocation and other personal information is generated and collected from your vehicle, you and your mobile device as part of the Connected Services.
This information will be used, disclosed, shared and otherwise processed as set forth in our Connected Services Privacy Notice,ā€

On one had I can see them needing the info for the ā€œlocate my jeepā€ feature but realistically since itā€™s shared and they always know exactly how many miles your jeep hasā€¦.. Iā€™m just curious if I could disable it if they were keeping my info for resale to some third party. I think Iā€™ll install a toggle switch in the glove box going to the head unit power supply.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator Disable GPS Tracking? IMG_1151

Fair enough. You can never be too sure. I pay for the services and every month or so you get an update like the one below to the privacy policy that makes you question why they need to collect ā€œ Vehicle, performance and driving data, precise geolocation and other personal information is generated and collected from your vehicle, you and your mobile device as part of the Connected Services.
This information will be used, disclosed, shared and otherwise processed as set forth in our Connected Services Privacy Notice,ā€

On one had I can see them needing the info for the ā€œlocate my jeepā€ feature but realistically since itā€™s shared and they always know exactly how many miles your jeep hasā€¦.. Iā€™m just curious if I could disable it if they were keeping my info for resale to some third party. I think Iā€™ll install a toggle switch in the glove box going to the head unit power supply.
They use a very broad agreement to cover any possible changes for the future and to avoid lawsuits. They collect a lot of Telematics data to review for ongoing performance analysis and future development. Some data is shared or sold, but any personal identifiers are scrubbed out of it. Since I pack around a mobile phone that tracks and reports way more data than my truck, whatever they actually collect is okay with me. I really like the Remote Start convenience.

Sponsored

Bandolero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They use a very broad agreement to cover any possible changes for the future and to avoid lawsuits. They collect a lot of Telematics data to review for ongoing performance analysis and future development. Some data is shared or sold, but any personal identifiers are scrubbed out of it. Since I pack around a mobile phone that tracks and reports way more data than my truck, whatever they actually collect is okay with me. I really like the Remote Start convenience.
Definitely makes sense.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of the data, like current mileage, is reported by the Dealer and many Service providers to Carfax and similar organizations. Many of the state DMV are now requiring it to be reported for the yearly registration, and it is collected when a Smog check is done. I don't think it's worth the hassle to try and turn off the data collection, for what I consider to be a low risk source, when it's available from so many other places.
Sponsored