Sponsored

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
So I finally got my brackets fabricated for my Ace Upper Decker.

I still need to prime and paint the whole set-up (bars, towers, hardware), but here is a pic for now.

The Custom Camping Concepts towers (with cross bars)have been welded to a bracket that attaches into the Ace Upper Decker. Total overkill, but each bracket has 4 bolts on top going into the Decker, and 3 (with washers) in the side holes. It is not going anywhere.

When I reinstall, I will probably not even use all of the bolts - depends on how long it takes me to put them on and take them off!

Once I prime and paint, I'll be getting a Roof Top Tent for this, but I'd also be able to use a Roof basket, or anythign I want with those bars.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Bed Rack and Rails Jeep with Decker and Bars.JPG
Sponsored

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
So I finally got my brackets fabricated for my Ace Upper Decker.

I still need to prime and paint the whole set-up (bars, towers, hardware), but here is a pic for now.

The Custom Camping Concepts towers (with cross bars)have been welded to a bracket that attaches into the Ace Upper Decker. Total overkill, but each bracket has 4 bolts on top going into the Decker, and 3 (with washers) in the side holes. It is not going anywhere.

When I reinstall, I will probably not even use all of the bolts - depends on how long it takes me to put them on and take them off!

Once I prime and paint, I'll be getting a Roof Top Tent for this, but I'd also be able to use a Roof basket, or anythign I want with those bars.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Bed Rack and Rails Jeep with Decker and Bars.JPG
out of curiosity, were these actually cheaper than the Ace's crossbars? I was one of the first to get the Upper Decker and just used their crossbars without any major issues, but will be disappointed if these were like half the cost...although looking to sell my Upper Decker now. I want my bed back and plan on going with the Gobi roof rack with a roof height bed rack (likely JCR) for my RTT.

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military Officer
out of curiosity, were these actually cheaper than the Ace's crossbars? I was one of the first to get the Upper Decker and just used their crossbars without any major issues, but will be disappointed if these were like half the cost...although looking to sell my Upper Decker now. I want my bed back and plan on going with the Gobi roof rack with a roof height bed rack (likely JCR) for my RTT.
The cost of the pieces (from Custom Camping Concepts) was about the same. So with the fabricated piece (materials and labor) added on, it ended up being more.

However, I believe that I get more usable space, both under the bars (height and lack of the angle) as well as a more useful bar system that can be used to hold anything (not just a tent).

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
The cost of the pieces (from Custom Camping Concepts) was about the same. So with the fabricated piece (materials and labor) added on, it ended up being more.

However, I believe that I get more usable space, both under the bars (height and lack of the angle) as well as a more useful bar system that can be used to hold anything (not just a tent).
I had to drill mine just to mount my tent as the pre-drilled holes didn't line up and I just added bike trays that I also drilled for. There is a ton of steel real estate on the tops of the crossbars that I wasn't worried about integrity, but you are right about the clearance issues.

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military Officer
I had to drill mine just to mount my tent as the pre-drilled holes didn't line up and I just added bike trays that I also drilled for. There is a ton of steel real estate on the tops of the crossbars that I wasn't worried about integrity, but you are right about the clearance issues.
The drilling was my concern. With square bars, I can use just about anything I want on top without fear that it won't fit (or that I have to drill). I'm also considering putting a Bundutec (or other) awning on there for day trips and stuff, and so I wanted bars that went out at least to the end of the truck.

Sponsored

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military Officer
So I have finally gotten my rack parts painted, and my Roof Top Tent arrived, and it's all now put together.

In sum, I have:
1) Ace Engineering Upper Decker
2) Custom Camping Concepts Towers and Bars
3) Welded plates on the Towers that bolt to the Upper Decker
4) Front Runner Rooftop Tent and Annex

It all works great. My only issue overall is that the Upper Decker will no longer stay up all on its own, due to the total weight. I can open it, but I'll need to get something to hold it open if I need it that way temporarily.

All in all, though, I am very happy with the set-up. Driving at speed shows little noise, even with my Bestop sunrider open. Pleny of space in the bed (under the Upper Decker) and on top of the Decker (under the tent). Pleny of visibility out of the back window.

Now just to get out camping!

Jeep Tent (Packed 1).jpg

Jeep Tent (Packed 2).jpg

Jeep Tent Annex 1).jpg

Jeep Tent Annex 2).jpg

Jeep Tent Opened.jpg

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ 7 (Bessie), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Bright White (DJ), 2016 Jeep JK Willy’s (traded for wife to get Ford Focus due to work), 2018 JLU Sahara (Wife’s traded for JT)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
Went the same rout. turned out pretty good. looking forward to seeing what you do with the sides.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Bed Rack and Rails Jeep Tent Opened

did you use slide your clamps into the unistrut rail to clamp your tonneau to the bed rail or did you an L Bracket or something completely different? lol, thanks for any help, I appreciate it!

CP4

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Camaro RS, 2020 Sting Gray Gladiator
Does anyone know if these brackets will work with the tri fold tyger tonneau?

JeepRitz

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Learherneck
I wanted to post this as it was inspired by @WhatExit? build of this Gladiator Rack. He has been a wealth of Knowledge and you should read his post

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...dea-of-a-perfect-for-me-gladiator-rack.27705/

Although I have not tested with a Tonneau cover yet I will shortly I have a couple more things to add for customization but I wanted to add a shopping list for the everyday joe that wants something on a budget. And of course, you get to add your little piece of you made it yourself.

Here is the shopping list. You don't need all of this if you have a Trail Rail system already But I figured for under $350 I have a 4 post Rack and a rail system.

Now as I have some side pieces fabricated still working out that design. I wanna do it homemade so. If anybody has some insight on inexpensive say 1/8" slotted steel let me know. It can be bare.

98165209_10158306364379320_7590496995005956096_n.jpg

Are you kidding me with this list!

Thank you so much.
Sponsored