First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electronic Manufacturing
Waiting is the hardest part! Can’t wait to see your setup.
Still don't have rails to be able to attach it. UPS is claiming delay due to "civil disturbance". I test fit them last night between the rolling cover supports. It causes the cover to bunch in the middle at those spots, but still seems to latch okay, and since I don't plan to leave these on all the time, I am thinking I can still use the tonneau with the RTT I am planning on putting on it. I'll try to test with all 4 and take a few pictures this weekend if I have time.
Sponsored

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
I'm going to see an overlanding guy on Tuesday who will look at my Custom Camping Concepts towers and rails, and my Ace Upper Decker, to fabricate a bracket to mate them. Once I get more info, will post that.

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I was just going to make a thread about what I built with my compact camping towers, but then I found this thread.

I did things a little differently than what most of you have done, as I am sticking a 72" tent on mine, and I wanted 3 cross bars, spaced as far apart as possible. (tent + people + dog= just shy of 650lbs) I used the KBvoodoo "test fit" brackets that they sell as the base for my towers. (I didn't even know CC offered bases for gladiators until seeing this thread!) Then I used some 1.5x1/4 flat bar to tie all of the bases together, and extend how far forward/backward I could place the front/rear towers. My only concern at this point is the possibility of left/right movement folding over the towers. Once my tent shows up I will do some testing and decide if I need to create some triangulation from the cross bars to the towers.

I used strut channel as my cross bars, and I notched them a little so the towers would fit inside of the channel. This should save me almost 2 inches of height, and help keep my tent at the roof line, and not above it (except for the ladder).

Everything works great with my tyger tonneau cover. I just had to trim the foam from the side rails. I also bolted the tonneau side rails directly to the kbvoodoo brackets, instead of clamping them (except for at the front, where there is no trail rail). I did this because I did not want to put the upward force created by the clamps on my diy trail rails. This means that the kbvoodoo brackets will stay on 24/7, but the towers and flat bar will be removed when the tent is not in use. If this setup proves itself, I will be tearing it all down and cleaning up some of the cuts/holes, and then having it powder coated.

Let me know what you think!

bheath-atx

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electronic Manufacturing
I was just going to make a thread about what I built with my compact camping towers, but then I found this thread.

I did things a little differently than what most of you have done, as I am sticking a 72" tent on mine, and I wanted 3 cross bars, spaced as far apart as possible. (tent + people + dog= just shy of 650lbs) I used the KBvoodoo "test fit" brackets that they sell as the base for my towers. (I didn't even know CC offered bases for gladiators until seeing this thread!) Then I used some 1.5x1/4 flat bar to tie all of the bases together, and extend how far forward/backward I could place the front/rear towers. My only concern at this point is the possibility of left/right movement folding over the towers. Once my tent shows up I will do some testing and decide if I need to create some triangulation from the cross bars to the towers.

I used strut channel as my cross bars, and I notched them a little so the towers would fit inside of the channel. This should save me almost 2 inches of height, and help keep my tent at the roof line, and not above it (except for the ladder).

Everything works great with my tyger tonneau cover. I just had to trim the foam from the side rails. I also bolted the tonneau side rails directly to the kbvoodoo brackets, instead of clamping them (except for at the front, where there is no trail rail). I did this because I did not want to put the upward force created by the clamps on my diy trail rails. This means that the kbvoodoo brackets will stay on 24/7, but the towers and flat bar will be removed when the tent is not in use. If this setup proves itself, I will be tearing it all down and cleaning up some of the cuts/holes, and then having it powder coated.

Let me know what you think!

As long as the support bars on the RTT don't interfere with the bolt head, I kind of like this idea. It seems like it would provide better support across the point where the strut contacts the bracket. This theoretically is stronger than using the screws and channel bolt, although I think there are likley no issues with either method, as the weight is fully distributed across the bar unless I am missing something.

Sponsored

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
Hope to have pics soon.

I had my Ace Upper Decker and Custom Camping Concept towers looked at, this is what we're going to do:

Fabricate a bracket that will rest on the lip of the Ace Upper Decker, and screw in on both the top (3-4 screws 2" apart) and the side.

This bracket will be welded to the Custom Camping Concept tower so that it is both stronger and a singular piece that cen be removed easily with the bolts.

Paint the whole set-up with Rustoleum or something to protect it.

That will give me, in the end, secure, weatherproof storage in the truck bed, unsecure, exposed storage on top of the Upper Decker (and under the cross bars), and a space to mount a rooftop tent, awning, carry a kayak, etc...

Should be good once I get it all done.

bheath-atx

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electronic Manufacturing
Waiting is the hardest part! Can’t wait to see your setup.
Here's what I ended up with. Not perfect, but will work until I build a camper. It's a little tough to get in place, but other than not keeping the edges watertight, it'll function for now. I have to roll the tonneau cover edge under to fit it, then it covers and latches.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Bed Rack and Rails IMG_20200621_133818

IMG_20200621_133756.jpg

zprovo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator BMW-R1150GS Toyota-FJ60 Porsche-914
Occupation
Architect
Pretty much done with mine. Ready for a road trip! Thanks for all the info!

Jeep Gladiator DIY Bed Rack and Rails IMG_1947.JPG

Jeep Gladiator DIY Bed Rack and Rails IMG_1948.JPG

bheath-atx

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electronic Manufacturing
Ready for the maiden voyage

IMG_20200627_092514.jpg

IMG_20200627_092545.jpg

Jaydebe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stacy'sMom aka: 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase
I love these types of projects. Thanks for all of the legwork!

Sponsored

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ 7 (Bessie), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Bright White (DJ), 2016 Jeep JK Willy’s (traded for wife to get Ford Focus due to work), 2018 JLU Sahara (Wife’s traded for JT)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody think there would be a way to make some type of extension on the brackets and or on top of the crossbars so that it would be slightly higher than cab height? I carry paddle boards and kayaks often in the summer and I prefer them not to be sticky out way behind me... and I also typically have the soft top open. I think I'd like to do something like ya'll have with the compact camping towers so that I can still use my tonneau cover (tyger for colorado) but again would like the boards/kayaks as well as lumber to be over the cab instead of out over/past the truck bed. thanks for any help /ideas!

bheath-atx

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electronic Manufacturing
Anybody think there would be a way to make some type of extension on the brackets and or on top of the crossbars so that it would be slightly higher than cab height? I carry paddle boards and kayaks often in the summer and I prefer them not to be sticky out way behind me... and I also typically have the soft top open. I think I'd like to do something like ya'll have with the compact camping towers so that I can still use my tonneau cover (tyger for colorado) but again would like the boards/kayaks as well as lumber to be over the cab instead of out over/past the truck bed. thanks for any help /ideas!
There is a pretty low priced extension that goes into the hitch plate and is adjustable for that. If you get a roof mount set of rails that mounts to the edge rail like I have here and the hitch extension that would carry SUP board, kayak etc of most any size.
Jeep Gladiator DIY Bed Rack and Rails 1593457376675

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ 7 (Bessie), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Bright White (DJ), 2016 Jeep JK Willy’s (traded for wife to get Ford Focus due to work), 2018 JLU Sahara (Wife’s traded for JT)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
There is a pretty low priced extension that goes into the hitch plate and is adjustable for that. If you get a roof mount set of rails that mounts to the edge rail like I have here and the hitch extension that would carry SUP board, kayak etc of most any size.
Jeep Gladiator DIY Bed Rack and Rails 1593457376675

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
i thought those roof rack things didn't work with a soft top though...thank you for the idea though

bheath-atx

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electronic Manufacturing
i thought those roof rack things didn't work with a soft top though...thank you for the idea though
IF you wnated to extend the brackets, talk to Scott at Compact Camping Store. He has no weld brackets for camper builds that may get be able to get you up above the cab height.
Sponsored