Sponsored

Does anyone know how to get the stench of rotten whalemeat out of a Gladiator?

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I live on cape maybe I can talk the Wife into a ride up for a Zombie Whale watch.

If I do I will be sure to park upwind and keep the dog out of the water😂

I had my jeep parked at work with the tops and doors off. Down wind about 100 feet from a roadway where a skunk was hit it was probably 5 hours of wafting into my truck.I tried everything, carpet cleaning the seats and unfortunately time work best.
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
The good thing is it's a jeep. So maybe a lot of driving with the top and the doors off will eventually air it out. Unfortunately, it's cold and rainy right now in the northeast

MikeyK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Teacher
I really want to add to the humor and say something like try tomato juice or something like that but I won’t 😂

But seriously, maybe Nature’s Miracle from pet stores. It is enzyme based. Maybe?

Sponsored

coastiej171

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I thought this was a joke so had to click the thread lol. Alongside everyone else’s recommendations…go to Costco and buy dryer sheets. Open container and place under seat.

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLUR, S5
you need to wash the entire vehicle, outside, underneath, and inside.
If you have cloth seats vacuum them and the carpets then steam clean them. If you don’t have access to a steam cleaner use an upholstery cleaner like blue magic.

Then you need to wipe down everything with 50:50 mix of Isopropyl alcohol and water. This will help get rid of any oils on the surface. make sure to swap out your rags you are using. You don’t want to mask the smell, you want to remove whatever is causing it. This is where I would start.

SpeedNeed

First Name
Speed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, S4, Panamera
Off-Topic: Dead Whales

I didn’t know dead whales were such a problem until this post prompted me to Google a few articles. It happens several dozen times a year just in the US. Basically, they can take a year to decompose, attracting sharks, insects and all manner of unwanted critters – while stinking ("death in a dumpster") the whole time. The smell is so bad it can wipe out a whole season for resort communities and make people abandon their houses.

They don’t tow them to sea because they just wash up again. They can’t burn them. They attract spectators: “…she had driven 75 miles to lay an orchid by the whale and to rub its rotting flesh with homeopathic balms.”

1. They've repeatedly tried blowing them up with explosives to speed decomposition. This somewhat famous 1970 video is a hoot:

2. Sometimes they’re successful in trucking it away in whole or in parts:
"The decomposing remains of a 60-ton sperm whale exploded on a busy Taiwan street, showering nearby cars and shops with blood and organs and stopping traffic for hours."

3. The carcasses can swell and explode their own, or unexpectedly:

3. Generally they do cart them in pieces to a landfill, or bury them on the beach.
“…some of the equipment used to get the flesh off the bones still smell like rotting whale blubber, 10 years after the task was completed.”

The NOAA is in charge of all dead or stranded mammals on the beach. OP, if anyone knows how to deal with the smell, these folks would:
https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/new-...ater-atlantic-marine-mammal-stranding-network

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
Ozone treat the inside...maybe there is a detailer that offers that near you. It is a little machine they place in there, if you do it yourself or buy a device follow instructions, you should not be in the vehicle when it runs imo
This 👆

OP
OP
chaosjake

chaosjake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR (Dolly/Ahab), 2017 WRX (Hilda)
Off-Topic: Dead Whales

I didn’t know dead whales were such a problem until this post prompted me to Google a few articles. It happens several dozen times a year just in the US. Basically, they can take a year to decompose, attracting sharks, insects and all manner of unwanted critters – while stinking ("death in a dumpster") the whole time. The smell is so bad it can wipe out a whole season for resort communities and make people abandon their houses.

They don’t tow them to sea because they just wash up again. They can’t burn them. They attract spectators: “…she had driven 75 miles to lay an orchid by the whale and to rub its rotting flesh with homeopathic balms.”

1. They've repeatedly tried blowing them up with explosives to speed decomposition. This somewhat famous 1970 video is a hoot:

2. Sometimes they’re successful in trucking it away in whole or in parts:
"The decomposing remains of a 60-ton sperm whale exploded on a busy Taiwan street, showering nearby cars and shops with blood and organs and stopping traffic for hours."

3. The carcasses can swell and explode their own, or unexpectedly:

3. Generally they do cart them in pieces to a landfill, or bury them on the beach.
“…some of the equipment used to get the flesh off the bones still smell like rotting whale blubber, 10 years after the task was completed.”

The NOAA is in charge of all dead or stranded mammals on the beach. OP, if anyone knows how to deal with the smell, these folks would:
https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/new-...ater-atlantic-marine-mammal-stranding-network
I remember the first time I read a description of that Oregon incident in a column from Dave Barry back in probably the early 90s, long before YouTube. His description had me laughing, and then years later being able to see the video, I mean... *chef's kiss*

Sponsored

OP
OP
chaosjake

chaosjake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR (Dolly/Ahab), 2017 WRX (Hilda)
The good thing is it's a jeep. So maybe a lot of driving with the top and the doors off will eventually air it out. Unfortunately, it's cold and rainy right now in the northeast
Yeah, I was hoping to drive the 2 hours home with the freedom panels off, but it was like 43 degrees and 40 mph winds, so the wife shut that down. Have it parked right now with the panels off and the windows down, letting the wind whip through it.

SpeedNeed

First Name
Speed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, S4, Panamera
THAR SHE BLOWS
Dave BarryMay 20, 1990

HERE AT THE EXPLODING ANIMAL Research Institute we have received two very alarming news items that we are passing along today in the hope that you, the generalized public, will finally break out of your apathetic, selfish, materialistic lifestyles and send us some large cash contributions.

Item One, submitted by numerous alert readers, concerns the recent criminally insane vote by the U.S. Senate AGAINST having the federal government monitor methane emissions from cows. I am not making this vote up. As you may be aware, cows emit huge quantities of methane, which contributes to global warming, which has gotten so bad in some areas that brand-new shirts are coming out of the factory with armpit stains already in them. So the U.S. Senate (motto: "White Male Millionaires Working for You") was considering an amendment to the Clean Air Act, under which the government would monitor methane emissions from various sources, including "animal production."

Well, as you can imagine, this did not sit well with the senators from those states where cow flatulence is a cherished way of life. Leading the herd of opposition senators was Steve Symms of Idaho ("The Exploding Potato State"), who took the floor and stated that the amendment would -- this is an actual quote -- "put the nose of the federal government in almost every place it does not belong."

So the Senate took out the part about monitoring animal methane, which means there will be no advance warning when, inevitably, there is some kind of cow-interior blockage, causing a potentially lethal buildup of flammable gases and transforming one of these normally docile creatures into a giant mooing time bomb that, if detonated, could cause the dreaded Rain of Organs. Have you ever, in a supermarket, accidentally encountered a cow tongue -- a large sluglike slab of gray flesh that you couldn't imagine anybody purchasing for any purpose other than to nail it to the front door in hopes of scaring off evil spirits? Well, I'd like to know what Sen. Symms would say if one of those babies came hurtling out of the sky and struck him at upwards of 100 miles per hour. "Yuck" would be my guess.

I base this statement on a similar situation in Oregon where innocent civilians were struck by falling whale parts. I am absolutely not making this incident up; in fact, I have it all on videotape, which I obtained from the alert father-son team of Dean and Kurt Smith. The tape is from a local TV news show in Oregon, which sent a reporter out to cover a 45-foot, eight-ton dead whale that washed up on the beach. The responsibility for getting rid of the carcass was placed upon the Oregon State Highway Division, apparently on the theory that highways and whales are very similar in the sense of being large objects.

So anyway, the highway engineers hit upon the plan -- remember, I am not making this up -- of blowing up the whale with dynamite. The thinking here was that the whale would be blown into small pieces, which would be eaten by sea gulls, and that would be that. A textbook whale removal.

So they moved the spectators back up the beach, put half a ton of dynamite next to the whale, and set it off. I am probably guilty of understatement when I say that what follows, on the videotape, is the most wonderful event in the history of the universe. First you see the whale carcass disappear in a huge blast of smoke and flame. Then you hear the happy spectators shouting "Yayy!" and "Wheee!" Then, suddenly, the crowd's tone changes. You hear a new sound, the sound of many objects hitting the ground with a noise that sounds like "splud." You hear a woman shouting, "Here comes pieces of . . . my GOD!" Something smears the camera lens.

Later, the reporter explains: "The humor of the entire situation suddenly gave way to a run for survival as huge chunks of whale blubber fell everywhere." One piece caved in the roof of a car parked more than a quarter of a mile away. Remaining on the beach were several rotting whale sectors the size of condominium units. There was no sign of the sea gulls, who had no doubt permanently relocated to Brazil.

This is a very sobering videotape. Here at the institute we watch it often, especially at parties. But this is no time for gaiety. This is a time to get hold of the folks at the Oregon State Highway Division and ask them, when they get done cleaning up the beaches, to give us an estimate on the U.S. Capitol.

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing that comes to mind for me is a couple of open boxes of baking powder in the truck. I keep one in the fridge to keep it smelling good. Used it on old refrigerators too it works well for that. It absorbs all the odors into the powder.