Sponsored

Does anyone know how to get the stench of rotten whalemeat out of a Gladiator?

REDBEAST

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2017 Jaguar F-Type SVR
Occupation
Retired
This is at Race Point in Provincetown, Mass .

And good idea... I can at least change the cabin air filter.
I knew it had to be from somewhere up there. You need a permit to breath the same air. I lived there for 18 years and had enough, moved to Texas.
Sponsored

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Never mind ....title took my mind in a completely different direction. Moving right along. 😁

Have you tried rinsing out your nostrils 🤔😁

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I mean... it smells terrible, but it's pretty frickin' funny too. At the time, all I could think was "holy crap, that's a dead whale." Then when we drove back into town and could still smell it, it was more like "oh no, I've made a huge mistake."
You got that right!

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Back in the day when I was "ornery". My 20's. We use to put open packages of "Blind Robins" under the seats of co-worker cars on hot summer days. When you when to the restroom. Guys would wipe a piece of limburger cheese across the sweat band on your welding helmet while you was doing your business. I've seen guys throw up in their welding helmets. LMFAO

Zaptrac

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
My wife and I are having a lovely beach weekend for our anniversary. She's been indulging my desire to do Jeep stuff, so we have been using our sand permit.
PXL_20220507_211625023-01.jpeg

Yesterday, we drove down to the historic lighthouse...
IMG_1475-02.jpeg

And we cruised on the beach (in the sections that aren't closed off for nesting shore birds).
PXL_20220507_202603051-01.jpeg

But then, right when we came over a big dune and started dropping down to the last section of beach we hadn't explored,
PXL_20220507_203842289-01.jpeg

I looked off to my left, and what did I see?
IMG_1484-01.jpeg

There was a dead whale washed up on the beach below. And this is where I made a terrible mistake. Of course, my wife and I wanted to get a picture of it. So of course we drove as close to it as we could. And of course we rolled down the passenger window to take some pictures.

Thirty feet away and directly downwind from 40 tons of rotten whalemeat.
IMG_1533-01.jpeg

We didn't get, like, chunks of meat in the truck, or even visible drops of seawater, but I guess that rotten whale oil was in the salt spray, because driving back into town, it smelled so bad I could taste it. We have a two hour drive home today, and despite the 45 degree weather, I might insist we keep the windows down.

I'm worried that this (powerful) stank is going to linger. Any cleaning tips?
For once a niche topic i have experience in. I’m a marine biologist who works with marine mammals, mostly manatees. And i help out with necropsies quite a bit, about once a week during the busy season. What you’re gonna want to do is get a spray foam made for car interiors, I use some turtle wax brand one that has oxi clean in it. Use that to clean your carpets and seats if they’re cloth seats. Spray it on and scrub it in using the brush on the can. After that either use a carpet extractor to spray with clean water and vacuum out. Or if you don’t have one, fill a standard spray bottle with clean water, spray that in the seats (completely soak them if needed) and use a shop vac to suck all the water out. Keep doing that step over and over until all of the cleaner is out of your seats and carpet. Then for final drying i just leave the top off and let it air dry. After that just clean the rest of the interior as usual. If it’s a soft top make sure to clean that inside and out as well. It may seem like a simple straight forward answer but it always gets the smell of dead marine mammals out after driving home with my work clothes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chaosjake

chaosjake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR (Dolly/Ahab), 2017 WRX (Hilda)
I’m a marine biologist who works with marine mammals, mostly manatees. And i help out with necropsies quite a bit, about once a week during the busy season. ... It may seem like a simple straight forward answer but it always gets the smell of dead marine mammals out after driving home with my work clothes.
Jeep Gladiator Does anyone know how to get the stench of rotten whalemeat out of a Gladiator? 749956

Sparty

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR (Gecko) / 2021 JLR
For once a niche topic i have experience in. I’m a marine biologist who works with marine mammals, mostly manatees. And i help out with necropsies quite a bit, about once a week during the busy season. What you’re gonna want to do is get a spray foam made for car interiors, I use some turtle wax brand one that has oxi clean in it. Use that to clean your carpets and seats if they’re cloth seats. Spray it on and scrub it in using the brush on the can. After that either use a carpet extractor to spray with clean water and vacuum out. Or if you don’t have one, fill a standard spray bottle with clean water, spray that in the seats (completely soak them if needed) and use a shop vac to suck all the water out. Keep doing that step over and over until all of the cleaner is out of your seats and carpet. Then for final drying i just leave the top off and let it air dry. After that just clean the rest of the interior as usual. If it’s a soft top make sure to clean that inside and out as well. It may seem like a simple straight forward answer but it always gets the smell of dead marine mammals out after driving home with my work clothes.

Was the sea angry that day?

Jeep Gladiator Does anyone know how to get the stench of rotten whalemeat out of a Gladiator? 1652231633456

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Good luck OP, I feel for you.

I once had a friend leave their leftover Outback steak & shrooms in the back of my car in the little foam take-out box. It got forgotten back there (hatchback…240SX).

This was in Mississippi in the middle of the summer and it somehow didn’t smell back there for a week or more. Anyways…I went to help a friend move one day and we tossed a few boxes in the hatch and we headed-over to his new place.

The whole ride over, this smell of rotten dumpster starts to permeate the car. I looked over at him thinking “has this dude not bathed?” He looks at me with a similar look…likely thinking “this guy must not shower or something.” 🤣

We unload his boxes and I find this little white foam container crushed against the rear seat in the hatch. 🤣 I removed the container and the spoiled steak & shrooms and attempt to clean it out. I tried SEVERAL different cleaning agents, but ended up just having to cut out the carpet in the hatch.💩 Memories.🤣

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I are having a lovely beach weekend for our anniversary. She's been indulging my desire to do Jeep stuff, so we have been using our sand permit.
PXL_20220507_211625023-01.jpeg

Yesterday, we drove down to the historic lighthouse...
IMG_1475-02.jpeg

And we cruised on the beach (in the sections that aren't closed off for nesting shore birds).
PXL_20220507_202603051-01.jpeg

But then, right when we came over a big dune and started dropping down to the last section of beach we hadn't explored,
PXL_20220507_203842289-01.jpeg

I looked off to my left, and what did I see?
IMG_1484-01.jpeg

There was a dead whale washed up on the beach below. And this is where I made a terrible mistake. Of course, my wife and I wanted to get a picture of it. So of course we drove as close to it as we could. And of course we rolled down the passenger window to take some pictures.

Thirty feet away and directly downwind from 40 tons of rotten whalemeat.
IMG_1533-01.jpeg

We didn't get, like, chunks of meat in the truck, or even visible drops of seawater, but I guess that rotten whale oil was in the salt spray, because driving back into town, it smelled so bad I could taste it. We have a two hour drive home today, and despite the 45 degree weather, I might insist we keep the windows down.

I'm worried that this (powerful) stank is going to linger. Any cleaning tips?
Too easy Drill Sergeant.... First find a lonely and rarely used back road and drive it on a moonless Thursday night with your lights off. Find a shaded lonely spot and park on the side of the road, and in the middle of the road cut open exactly 9 ripe avocados spreading them all over the pavement with a silver plated butter knife (the little devils cannot resist them). When finished drive exactly 7/10 mile further down the road and turn around. After waiting precisely 1 hour and 32 minutes, drive back to where the avocados were and there will be 3-5 skunks feasting on the avocados. Suddenly turn your lights on using the high beam and run the suckers down. Then stop, pick up the fattest one and hang him upside down from your interior rear view mirror. Drive home and park the Jeep where the sun will heat up the interior (this works best mid-summer) and let your Jeep sit fully closed for 11 days.... after which you throw the Jeep away and eat the skunk.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck OP, I feel for you.

I once had a friend leave their leftover Outback steak & shrooms in the back of my car in the little foam take-out box. It got forgotten back there (hatchback…240SX).

This was in Mississippi in the middle of the summer and it somehow didn’t smell back there for a week or more. Anyways…I went to help a friend move one day and we tossed a few boxes in the hatch and we headed-over to his new place.

The whole ride over, this smell of rotten dumpster starts to permeate the car. I looked over at him thinking “has this dude not bathed?” He looks at me with a similar look…likely thinking “this guy must not shower or something.” 🤣

We unload his boxes and I find this little white foam container crushed against the rear seat in the hatch. 🤣 I removed the container and the spoiled steak & shrooms and attempt to clean it out. I tried SEVERAL different cleaning agents, but ended up just having to cut out the carpet in the hatch.💩 Memories.🤣
This brings to mind a jerk named Mike. My brother Tim and I went fishing off Oxnard with him and being the big man he was, he drove us in his new Trans Am. The guy's motor mouth never stopped the whole two days on the boat and I had enough... so I secreted a hand full of anchovies (bait) in my tackle box and when we got back Tim took him into a dock-side restaurant for beers while I loaded the gear into car... and load it I did. I pulled th rear seat cushion out and pinned all the anchovies between the seat material and the flat metal spring bed and replaced the seat. After we returned, Mike went on a business trip and left his car in the LAX Long Term Parking for about five days. He worked with Tim and when he returned he asked Tim a dozen times if he smelled anything and Tim told him nope..... Last time I saw that Trans Am it was in the used car lot at Robert H. Loud Ford in Pasadena....... With the T Tops off......

Sponsored

OP
OP
chaosjake

chaosjake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR (Dolly/Ahab), 2017 WRX (Hilda)
Had fun on beach Cape Cod...had to lower tires to 11 pounds,huge dunes ,great trails! Saw a dead humpback whale washed on shore. 40 degrees plus 40 knot wind gusts!
Jeep Gladiator Does anyone know how to get the stench of rotten whalemeat out of a Gladiator? 1652231633456
See, this guy saw it too... But he was apparently smart enough not to track whale guts into his truck!

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I'm pretty sure that you need to fix the problem before applying fragrance.....I'd bet that your internet research will involve a spray bottle of vinegar or ammonia or something that will kill the smell for the most part.
Sponsored