Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
from an earlier post I mentioned I lost my co-pilot Beau. Today, insert Maggie. She is a Lab mix with high anxiety when traveling. So bad she whine’s, drools and howls when in the truck or whenever I leave her, even to pump gas. I travel a lot and try to take her with me but the chaos in the cab is distracting. I’ve tried CBD oil with minimal results, thundershirt, Kong and Benadryl to no avail. Any suggestions would really help and be greatly appreciated for my furry co-pilot.
222C57B4-586B-4299-A627-4D1C6FD0DB78.jpeg
We bought the Gladiator and added the ARE Topper specifically for Atticus. Nothing like having 130 pounds of needy dog helping you drive. He jumps in fine and gets the whole bed to wander and nose paint. We open both connecting windows and he sticks part of his head in to let us know he is still there. When we reach our
Jeep Gladiator Dog co-pilot help. Atti Jeep 1
destination, he gets out and is ready for his walk or whatever.
Sponsored

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Both of my Brittany Spaniels loved car rides. They'd stretch out across the back seat and go to sleep. Occasionally, they'd get up and rub my cheek with theirs (a sign of affection/love) and see where we were, then lay back down and take another nap.

Sorry you're having this issue but, there are some good suggestions given on how to try and make it more enjoyable for both you and your fur baby. Try rubbing your cheek to theirs when they get in the car as a sign that you love them and everything is alright.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Vince is good with any thing that involves a "go". He whined on the way home from the shelter and the first few jaunts. We discoverred when an excited upbeat voice makes a trip suggestion, he is all about it. (Women are better coercers with their tone). That was almost 9 years ago and he goes everywhere without drama.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Similar to what DocMike said, try throwing a worn t-shirt or shirt on the seat. Something that smells like you. The key is that it smells like you.
An old hunting trick when a dog gets lost is to leave your shirt laying on the ground where you parked. Come back before sun up the next morning to find your dog laying on your shirt/jacket etc..
That and spending time in the truck for nothing, like reading the paper or whatever; get the dog used to just being there. Then try putting the dog in the truck and working around it where she can see you. The key is to gradually create more distance.

@Trickster is that a GSP/Springer mix? We have GSP's.
Jeep Gladiator Dog co-pilot help. RickiFireplace

(not altered, she is just perfectly out of focus)

OP
OP
Summitsearcher

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
At the risk of stating something too simple - Is she crate trained? Our pup is and if she gets anxious in the car we just set up a soft crate in the back seat for her. She usually passes right out.
Yes she is

Sponsored

OP
OP
Summitsearcher

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a cab divider/net installed?
How old is the dog?
How many times has the dog been in the JT?
Do you have any comfort beds or toys from your home in the vehicle?

I have experience, maybe with some more info I may provide some help.
Remember, a dog feeds off and reacts to the owners tactics and emotions.
Best of luck.
🐕
Jeep Gladiator Dog co-pilot help. RickiFireplace
I have a cab divider, dog is eleven. Been in the Jt many times before. She has a comfort bed as well.

OP
OP
Summitsearcher

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had a dog like that. He was a mentally tough field trial bred American lab. He was also alpha and had no problems with separation anxiety.

But when he rode in the car he lost his 5h1t. Yelping, whining, it was terrible.

I couldn't explain it. I tried everything.

In the end, I just brought him along with me less. And when I did, he got tranquilizers before the trip. In 11 years I was unable to make going for a ride a pleasant experience for him.

Sorry for that answer. But that was my experience.

If I had a dog like that, I'd probably put a cap on the gladiator and travel with him in a crate in the back. At least then one of you can enjoy the ride.
She’s so opposite from my other dog it just baffles me. I’ll keep trying but I’m getting very discouraged because every trip is a nightmare. I love her but can’t risk an accident with her in the car.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do have one thought. its worth a shot. I completely understand how it probably tears you up inside to see her so upset.

My current dog is half GSP and half American Lab. He is very high energy but pretty submissive and very eager to please.

We started crate training him when he was a pup. he LOVES his crate. We can put his crate anywhere and it is home for him. It sooths him. He derives comfrot from his crate.

This crate goes in the back seat of my car when we hike or hunt and it goes in the way back of my wife's Volvo wagon when we go on trips. He loves his crate so much that he jumps in it if he gets into the garage and will sit for hours in it waiting for us to bring him for a ride.

The Glator will get an ARE top and a Ruffland kennel strapped down in back. He does't care where his crate is, as long as he's in it and coming with his family.

So here's my thought Crate train yoru dog. Feed him in it. Praise him when he gets in it. Don't even bother closing the door for a couple of months. Put a SUPER soft bed in it for him to layon. Put it in the kitchen so he's with the family when he gets in it.

When he goes in and lies down, praise and feed him. Build a serious positive association with the crate.

Then put the crate in the back seat of your truck or our wife's car. have him climb into the crate when its in the car. Sit with him. Praise him. give him a treat. Don't even drive the car. Just sit in it with him.

Then shut the doors and start the engine and go through the same process for a couple of weeks. Keep the positive association. DON'T DRIVE. Just sit with the eingine running.

Then after a couple of weeks have yoru wife drive the car while you sit in back with him in the crate. Praise and feed him. Just go for a 1 minute ride.

When you get back praise him and feed him. tell him how brave he is.

I think you get my opoint. baby steps with effusive praise and reward food when he trusts you.

Note that when I say feed, I mean a tiny piece of treat. The size of a pea. I use cat food for treats. Partly because we have it because we have a cat. Youc an use dog treats, butmost are too large for training. You want very small.

Note that when I had this dog that I couldnt' figure out. I didn't know what I know now about dog behavior. I'm still not terribly confident I could have made it work. But if it happened to me now, I'd try this.

I hope this helps.

For what its worth, my dog now loves rides, but won't do a water retrieve. I've tried all kinds of stuff along the lines with what I described to you Baby steps. But it hasn't worked. Oh well.

Jeep Gladiator Dog co-pilot help. 20211113_154632024_iOS

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I recently brought a new pup home. I used a hoodie I ran in on my seat and the heated seat. He digs that.
This is a great idea. The smell comfort association is huge. My current dog doesn't need that. But between the current dog and the one that didn't like cars was a GSP that had separation anxiety. We got him as a rescue so we got him that way.

We found that giving him shoes helped him when we were gone. He didn't chew them. he just collected them and put them around his bed while we were gone. He was not crate trained. I learned of the joys of crate training halfway thorugh his life.

Jeep Gladiator Dog co-pilot help. chester1_zps628a96ac

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Scent is huge. Dirty workout clothes got to him for a day. He's a scent hound. But he is a giant dork in the car unless he gets his shirt or hoodie and he heated seat. He is 3 months old. Getting big.

This is a great idea. The smell comfort association is huge. My current dog doesn't need that. But between the current dog and the one that didn't like cars was a GSP that had separation anxiety. We got him as a rescue so we got him that way.

We found that giving him shoes helped him when we were gone. He didn't chew them. he just collected them and put them around his bed while we were gone. He was not crate trained. I learned of the joys of crate training halfway thorugh his life.

Jeep Gladiator Dog co-pilot help. chester1_zps628a96ac
IMG_9492.jpg

IMG_9352.jpg

redfish

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT
Occupation
Strategic Account Executive
Blanket to call their own and treats , treats when loading riding and exiting , slowly taper down the treats when riding , works for thunder storms as well

Also short trips to dogpark / field and let em run / play till exhausted and short ride home (sleeping )

nas4a

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S Diesel
So I work for an Animal Health company (Animal Pharma) - I'm NOT a vet. I'm in finance - but I'm around vets all day. We recently got a puppy - lab/foxhound mix. She doesn't have anxiety, but gets a little car sick from the motion. Our vet prescribed Cerenia for her. There are two different medications you may want to consider that you didn't list earlier. A vet would be able to help you decide if either can help. Cerenia typically helps with the travel nausea and anxiety to some extent. Sileo can help with noise aversion if your pup is more afraid of the sounds of traveling. Just something to consider. Both are very very safe. We give our pup Cerenia and she's a champ on car rides now. Just hangs out. Doesn't get sick.

I would also echo what some others have said - repetition and treats. Take your pup to FUN places. The park, Petsmart, etc. That will cause a positive association between travel in your truck and fun activities. I think most any dog can get comfortable with cars with enough time and repetition. The only real challenge is if your dog has a physical reaction (nausea) as that might not be something they can just get over.

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
That’s a real bummer about your hound, man. Back in the day, all I had to do was just say “Jeep”…and my bulldog would jump up and down and shake his big old butt…that dog LOVED riding in the Jeep.

OP
OP
Summitsearcher

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I do have one thought. its worth a shot. I completely understand how it probably tears you up inside to see her so upset.

My current dog is half GSP and half American Lab. He is very high energy but pretty submissive and very eager to please.

We started crate training him when he was a pup. he LOVES his crate. We can put his crate anywhere and it is home for him. It sooths him. He derives comfrot from his crate.

This crate goes in the back seat of my car when we hike or hunt and it goes in the way back of my wife's Volvo wagon when we go on trips. He loves his crate so much that he jumps in it if he gets into the garage and will sit for hours in it waiting for us to bring him for a ride.

The Glator will get an ARE top and a Ruffland kennel strapped down in back. He does't care where his crate is, as long as he's in it and coming with his family.

So here's my thought Crate train yoru dog. Feed him in it. Praise him when he gets in it. Don't even bother closing the door for a couple of months. Put a SUPER soft bed in it for him to layon. Put it in the kitchen so he's with the family when he gets in it.

When he goes in and lies down, praise and feed him. Build a serious positive association with the crate.

Then put the crate in the back seat of your truck or our wife's car. have him climb into the crate when its in the car. Sit with him. Praise him. give him a treat. Don't even drive the car. Just sit in it with him.

Then shut the doors and start the engine and go through the same process for a couple of weeks. Keep the positive association. DON'T DRIVE. Just sit with the eingine running.

Then after a couple of weeks have yoru wife drive the car while you sit in back with him in the crate. Praise and feed him. Just go for a 1 minute ride.

When you get back praise him and feed him. tell him how brave he is.

I think you get my opoint. baby steps with effusive praise and reward food when he trusts you.

Note that when I say feed, I mean a tiny piece of treat. The size of a pea. I use cat food for treats. Partly because we have it because we have a cat. Youc an use dog treats, butmost are too large for training. You want very small.

Note that when I had this dog that I couldnt' figure out. I didn't know what I know now about dog behavior. I'm still not terribly confident I could have made it work. But if it happened to me now, I'd try this.

I hope this helps.

For what its worth, my dog now loves rides, but won't do a water retrieve. I've tried all kinds of stuff along the lines with what I described to you Baby steps. But it hasn't worked. Oh well.

Jeep Gladiator Dog co-pilot help. IMG_9352
Sounds like a solid idea. She is crate trained. I’ll ge one and do that along with the shirts and positive reinforcement. Thank you. All great ideas with some I hadn’t tried.
Sponsored