First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
The oil is good. The oil filter isn't OEM. Can't tell you anything about it.
China has had time to "clone" the oem. I purchased a couple of the sub $20 knock offs and a couple oem $80 and without a true scientific study, I couldn't tell you the difference. The markings are very similar with exception of the oem manufacturing marks. The "hardness" and feel of the material are identical. No way to tell about the " paper filter" quality without high dollar testing, but even the releaf valving and innards seemed the same, even down to the o'ring type/color.
I have been hesitant to install the knock off, Im at my first oil change interal(5k) but I would think if there was going to be a fail, possibly it would be soon after installation ?? and if changing and replacing every 5k, would there be need to worry ??
I know oil/filters can be a deep rabbit hole... just wondering if the savings are worth it ? Considering they are both made in China, I'm wondering if they are made in the same facility ? I hate spending an extra 60+ just for oem if there isn't a big difference. Thoughts ?

Sponsored

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I believe that is the viscosity for the 3.0 diesel though. Do you have the diesel or 3.6 gas engine?

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
Yes that is the correct oil and meets both API and Chyslers MS-12991 recommendation, but note it's only the API requirement that is required. Exact language from the owner's manual below.

"We recommend using MoparĀ® API Certified SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Engine Oil which meets the requirements of the manufacturer Material Standard MS-12991 and API SN or SP capable. Equivalent full synthetic SAE 5W-40 engine oil can be used but must have the API Donut trademark"

I like many thought it was required that the oil meets both specs based on what I read here and it's a little misleading. The only requirement is that it is an API SN or SP rated oil, everything else is merely a recommendation. This was done as FCA has a partnership with Pennzoil which is one of the few that carries an MS rating to purposely steer business that way.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD

Sponsored

Moby

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Gladiator Rubicon, ā€˜17 Renegade, ā€˜83 GMC S-15
Interesting point - the 5W-40 Euro oil is the same oil that is specified for our ā€˜17 Jeep Renegade with the 1.4L turbocharged four-cylinder (and, yes, Iā€™m very aware itā€˜s a Fiat 500X in Jeep-ish bodywork). Just something that caught my attention, as my ā€˜21 gas 3.6L Gladiator specifies 0W-20ā€¦

Just find it rather fascinatingā€¦

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Interesting point - the 5W-40 Euro oil is the same oil that is specified for our ā€˜17 Jeep Renegade with the 1.4L turbocharged four-cylinder (and, yes, Iā€™m very aware itā€˜s a Fiat 500X in Jeep-ish bodywork). Just something that caught my attention, as my ā€˜21 gas 3.6L Gladiator specifies 0W-20ā€¦

Just find it rather fascinatingā€¦
My 08 Power Wagon and 13 Grand Cherokee. Both with the 5.7 Hemi. Both spec'ed 0w20 oil. My 11 Nismo spec'ed 0w30. I ended up using 0w40 Mobil 1 Euro blend. The Euro blend has more additives in it. It quieted all 3 engines down. No more Hemi tick and valve train clatter from the Nismo.
Sponsored