Dometic or ARB fridge?

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Not sure what you are getting at..... If you want more battery capacity you would have two batteries in parallel.
24v would reduce the amperage draw for a 110vac inverter but running an inverter to power the fridge is poor power management as the fridge has a converter to change that back to 12vdc.
The best setup is a dual battery setup where the batteries are isolated in use, one for the truck, one “house” battery for everything else. No chance of having a dead truck this way.
Sponsored

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
I got another battery over the weekend if anyone wants one. I should have a few more in the next week or 10 days as well
I got mine not too long ago. Thanks again! Once I work through a few projects ahead of it I'm looking forward to getting a system up and running!

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Most of the marine industry is on 24VDC as it draws less than 12VDC. Just wondering if it would make sense to run the house system at 24V

Not sure what you are getting at..... If you want more battery capacity you would have two batteries in parallel.
24v would reduce the amperage draw for a 110vac inverter but running an inverter to power the fridge is poor power management as the fridge has a converter to change that back to 12vdc.
The best setup is a dual battery setup where the batteries are isolated in use, one for the truck, one “house” battery for everything else. No chance of having a dead truck this way.

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Most of the marine industry is on 24VDC as it draws less than 12VDC. Just wondering if it would make sense to run the house system at 24V
Watts are watts regardless of voltage. Yes, the current goes down with higher voltage but your amp/hr capacity of your two battery bank in series is equal to one battery. In parallel it doubles. Plus how are you going to charge 24v from the truck?

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
I would have to isolate the batteries and charge them individually at 12V.

Yes watts are watts, but watts equals volts times amps, so the amp draw would be much less at higher voltage, so much smaller wires needed, etc.

All of the good ones have 12/24 and 110, so it's not an issue running them either way, I was just curious if anyone has done this way before?

D

Watts are watts regardless of voltage. Yes, the current goes down with higher voltage but your amp/hr capacity of your two battery bank in series is equal to one battery. In parallel it doubles. Plus how are you going to charge 24v from the truck?

Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
The Redarc chargers will charge 12 or 24V. But as was mentioned earlier watts are watts regardless of the voltage that supplies them. When running my CFX95DZW only draws 50-60 watts. At that low power draw I seriously doubt that wire size is an issue.

Now on to an issue that I found today with my CFX95DZW. I loaded it down with 105 cans of drinks and turned it on and when I walked by it I noticed that the intake and exhaust ports are side by side. The intake was drawing the warm air in and recirculating it through the system. The exhaust was quite warm along with the floor in front of it. To remedy it I set up a small fan to blow across the intake and carry the exhaust away. When I did that the temperature started to drop much more quickly than before. Obviously this is only a problem for me while I’m at home because my huge freaking cooler rides in the bed and gets plenty of air flow while driving.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I ordered some AlpiCool coolers that I am going to test. I envision myself building power systems and coolers for campers, Jeepers and anyone else who wants a killer setup. I have two 75L dual zone coolers ordered that will be here by the end of the month.

09CF8894-A0CF-4210-8A21-62A06795BFE0.png

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Last edited:

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
I think you meant the overlanding section :D

Yeah, watts are watts but the draw is in amps.
So, at 12V, you are drawing 5 amps and at 24V, you would be drawing 2.5 amps.

I'm hoping to hear back from a friend who did something similar - charges the batteries at 12V individually, but for output has them wired in series to get 24V.

Also, I remember one of the Dometic guys saying that the compressor is more efficient at 24V back when I was an engineer on yachts.

I have a thread over in the overloading section

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I think you meant the overlanding section :D

Yeah, watts are watts but the draw is in amps.
So, at 12V, you are drawing 5 amps and at 24V, you would be drawing 2.5 amps.

I'm hoping to hear back from a friend who did something similar - charges the batteries at 12V individually, but for output has them wired in series to get 24V.

Also, I remember one of the Dometic guys saying that the compressor is more efficient at 24V back when I was an engineer on yachts.
The "smart" technology can make us look pretty stupid sometimes can't it?

Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I have a few batteries in if anyone is interested in getting one or a few.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I will also have 1 75L one 20L and one 25L fridge with LG compressors available. They come with a three year compressor warranty.

bshillam

First Name
Bryrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.portlandres.com
Vehicle(s)
Over 60 prior. Current 2001 Isuzu Trooper, 2016 BMW 4 series convertible, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow Stingray
Occupation
Real Estate Broker and Yacht Broker, 503-781-9967
Have you been happy w/ the batteries? In comparison to Battleborne are you thinking they'll last as long and be as robust?
Sponsored