Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
On my JK the door bolts and freedom top knobs come out by March and don’t go back until December. I use a small cordless impact driver to take all the bolts on and off. The supplied ratchet handle makes the process a chore.

As for doors on and off the key I’ve found is to roll the windows down and stand to the inside with one hand on the handle and the other on the keeper strap, in the case of the JL/JT I guess it would be reversed, stand to the outside and reach an arm through to the finger hold in the arm rest and the other either on the window frame or the handle.

The bigger hassle is going to be getting them back on, the pins need to be concentric to the pivots on the truck which means if the truck is at some slight angle, the door needs to be at some slight angle as well. For years I’ve debated the extended alignment pins and for years I’ve not actually done it.

Keep the pivots and pins greased with a silicone grease to keep crud and grit out of the holes, grease also helps to control any slack that will develop as they wear against each other. You can get delrin pivot sleeves to rebush them once the clearance gets huge or put them on now and never do it again.

Keep your electrical harness connections clean and greased with dielectric, keeps moisture out which helps control corrosion and makes removal and installation a snap.
The alignment pins are probably the best mod I bought for my JK. I kept them hoping they'll fit my JT (if it ever gets here, LOL).
Sponsored

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
I got these in the mail and put them on all my door hinge bolts. They protect the threads and make hanging the doors a little easier.

The only thing I wish is that the top hinge bolts went all the way into these things. It doesn't screw all the way up to the top of the threads. Doesn't seem to affect anything though.
We had that same issue. We weren’t sure if that was as designed or not so we returned them.

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
I kept them...so far so good. They do help line things up a bit which is pretty nice.
Even though we returned them, we did try them for a day and, to be honest, neither my wife nor myself felt like they inherently made the process any easier. The doors on the JT are so much lighter than previous models so it seems to be a non issue. I could see how TJ, JK, etc. owners might like them more. Just my .02.

Sponsored

OP
OP
the-dude-abides

the-dude-abides

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020
Even though we returned them, we did try them for a day and, to be honest, neither my wife nor myself felt like they inherently made the process any easier. The doors on the JT are so much lighter than previous models so it seems to be a non issue. I could see how TJ, JK, etc. owners might like them more. Just my .02.
Makes sense and if you're moderately careful with what you're doing, you wouldn't benefit from those thread end caps. Where I found them helpful most is putting the doors on that ORC 4 door hanger where you're having to hang the door from the "inside" of the door. Makes lining up the threads and hole a little challenging. Some extra guidance/protection on the threads is nice in that situation.

htremper

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator (with toddler booster seat!)
Occupation
Rockstar
Silly question I know...but can someone post what / which mirrors you are using for doors off mode? I am in D status and getting distracted shopping for stuff...

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
Silly question I know...but can someone post what / which mirrors you are using for doors off mode? I am in D status and getting distracted shopping for stuff...
I haven't purchased yet, but I'm between 2 options.
Ram Ball mod that's discussed in this thread on the JL forum:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/doorless-mirrors.5579/page-11#post-697067

or these ATV mirrors mounted to the grab handle.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00898LAJ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DaMiDbVQT278H

OP
OP
the-dude-abides

the-dude-abides

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020
I haven't purchased yet, but I'm between 2 options.
Ram Ball mod that's discussed in this thread on the JL forum:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/doorless-mirrors.5579/page-11#post-697067

or these ATV mirrors mounted to the grab handle.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00898LAJ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DaMiDbVQT278H
Interesting idea on the ram ball mount. I have those same mirrors for my dualsport bike. Only downside is a ball sticking out all the time...probably not a big deal.

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
I'll be going with these

https://www.quadratec.com/p/rugged-...h4khTnMsDjGfSq88QEEr073I7m37laWBoC4cIQAvD_BwE

I have gone through a lot of mirrors on my JK, and mostly they vibrate which annoys me. These from Rugged Ridge are steady. You attach the bracket to the A pillar, and use the mirror when you need it, and take it off when you don't

Sponsored

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3

Blackberry

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Ranger quad cab 4x4, 01 Celica gt, 12 Ram Longhorn, 20 Glagiator sport s
Glad I took off doors, bone dry hinges wearing in 2 weeks, put black locators on top hinges , works great

96F7BA41-EDDC-44BB-B8E4-24D85AFB4508.jpeg

Peglegpete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
This is my first jeep. I've removed all 4 doors a couple of times now and feel like there could be a better way to remove the bolts than the oem socket and wrench.

First, there's the issue of scratching. I thought a magnet fridge thing would be a great idea but damned if the doors and body aren't aluminum. So pretty much painters tape is about the only thing I could think of.

Second, the tools in use. I was wondering if people used a drill and a flexible extension to make it faster and minimize damage potential.

I've read that other jeep owners just leave the bolts out of the door but the "hill stay" thing pretty much always needs to be tightened/removed or you risk scratching your paint where the bracket meets the body.

So what are people doing to expedite door removal/installation? Is there a technique/tool that I'm not aware of?

Thanks!
I leave my bolts out. The hill stay hinges can be pushed inside the door so they are out of the way, like they are if the door was closed. The older Jeeps never used to have those and where fine.

ksh67

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Sport S - Ordered 8/7, delivered 9/9
So my take away is this just makes the hinges like the old school CJ pins. I'll be buying a set for sure. Only downside I see with putting these on all 8 hinges is if someone can get the door open it just makes it quicker for them to run off with them.

Okay, makes sense. I used to take my doors off my TJ all the time and never had any issue, just patience. What about this product is so critical? I am trying to understand what problem this really solves if you're just careful. Does it make the process faster? Easier for one person?

I know they're not much money so maybe this is something I've just never used but I absolutely should be?
Sponsored