Sponsored

Doors off for the first time yesterday. Some questions.

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gadiator Sport / Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher
This is a relatively new thing to me. And it's a little baffling.

I take my doors off a lot. There's not enough space in my garage for my Jeep, so there are weeks when I'm taking the doors off every morning and putting them back on every evening, and my electrical connectors seem to be the same as they ever were.

So how are people messing theirs up? Are they impatient and going hulk-mode on them?

I don't get it lined up perfectly every time. Sometimes it's in a bind, so I pull it out, change position, and if it's right it clicks itself into place. As with anything else, if you're having to force or jam it in, you're going to break something.
There are a lot of threads where people have bent pins. Depends on how they were showed when they bought their Jeeps. A lot of people use the lever to bring the 2 connectors together. If the pins are not aligned then the lever will bens the pins with very little effort. Your supposed to push them together effortlessly until the level moves, then use the lever to finish the job.
Sponsored

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are a lot of threads where people have bent pins. Depends on how they were showed when they bought their Jeeps. A lot of people use the lever to bring the 2 connectors together. If the pins are not aligned then the lever will bens the pins with very little effort. Your supposed to push them together effortlessly until the level moves, then use the lever to finish the job.
That's exactly how I did it.

Thanks.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I am running the Jpeggs mirrors on my JT and they are rock solid in high wind and speed with no issues other than they interfere somewhat with my rain gear top not allowing me to get a really good cover on the two front doors. They also come with built in foot pegs. They are not storage friendly in the truck though unless you try to keep them in the bed of the truck. I have found after the last few rounds of taking my doors off I need to get some grease or something to lubricate the hinge area as they have been wanting to slide in easily.

No issues on the front connectors I just take my time and make sure they are lined up correctly.

BA33

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Willys Sport (sold), '22 JT Willys Sport
Occupation
Teacher
With all this being said, I bought Lange Coyote mirrors and they have exceeded all my expectations. They are easy to put on and remove. They donā€™t move when driving highway speeds. I canā€™t recommend them enough.
This x 100! I had Coyotes on my JL that I just sold. Ordered another pair for my JT. The mounting bracket is left in place after initial install. I would always torque them down a bit further with a set of channel locks. They have never moved on me when installed and I think they look pretty organic on a Jeep.

Sponsored

tom.mary.glad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 3.6L, automatic with max tow
I have my doors off all the time. I have tried several cheap mirrors that all sucked because once Jeep up to speed, the mirrors move no matter how tight you think you have them installed. Plus, as you mentioned, they are not quick to install and remove.
With all this being said, I bought Lange Coyote mirrors and they have exceeded all my expectations. They are easy to put on and remove. They donā€™t move when driving highway speeds. I canā€™t recommend them enough.
Regarding your other questions, I bought my door pins off of Amazon. And I havenā€™t thought about the harness issue so canā€™t answer specifically to that question.
Can you post a link to the mirrors you recommend? Thanks.

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
If you want tool-less and nothing remaining when removed, my set up might be what you want.
Its a Double take adventure motorcycle mirror with a RAM Tough-claw, small size w/1" ball and a 3" long RAM arm 1" ball size.

They keep their adjustment and you can pop them on/off the grab handle in seconds.
They are clear and do not budge at speed.

Jeep Gladiator Doors off for the first time yesterday.  Some questions. 20190727_153236

Jeep Gladiator Doors off for the first time yesterday.  Some questions. 20190729_182418

Last edited:

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
2) Hinge pins - does it matter what ones I get? They all seem the same and I can get them in a day for $15 from Amazon
Why do you want them?

Sprinkler-Fitter

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Installed fire sprinklers (retired)
Why would you not want them?
They make removing/installing the doors easier and lessen the chance that you will scratch the hell out of your paint or bugger the hinge.

I have had jeeps for 40 some years, doors off on most of them, what are they used for? Never heard of them?

Sponsored

tonywin

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I bought small circular mirrors off Amazon with an adhesive back. I flip the 2 end vents around and stuck them on there. I set it up so I can remove them but it literally is tool less and easy to set up once the doors are off.

tonywin

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
If you want tool-less and nothing remaining when removed, my set up might be what you want.
Its a Double take adventure motorcycle mirror with a RAM Tough-claw, small size w/1" ball and a 3" long RAM arm 1" ball size.

They keep their adjustment and you can pop them on/off the grab handle in seconds.
They are clear and do not budge at speed.

Jeep Gladiator Doors off for the first time yesterday.  Some questions. 20190729_182418

I really like this.

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
I have had jeeps for 40 some years, doors off on most of them, what are they used for? Never heard of them?
They cover the threaded ends of the pins on the doors with a nice rounded part that just lines up and slips into the hinge easier. For me, also less stress about gouging something with the existing threaded/blunt end parts.

Not really the best example, as the ones I have are a lot more rounded.
This does show the idea well.

Jeep Gladiator Doors off for the first time yesterday.  Some questions. al-Door-Hinge-Guide-JK-55017%20921X-Install-Step-1

I swear these seem to scratch the crap out of anything they come close to. šŸ˜
Jeep Gladiator Doors off for the first time yesterday.  Some questions. s-l1600

Last edited:

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
They cover the threaded ends of the pins on the doors with a nice rounded part that just lines up and slips into the hinge easier. For me, also less stress about gouging something with the existing threaded/blunt end parts.

Not really the best example, as the ones I have are a lot more rounded.
This does show the idea well.

I swear these seem to scratch the crap out of anything they come close to. šŸ˜
I believe they were initially designed to keep from damaging the threads of the hinge more than anything. They are almost more of a finisher now though... makes the door hinge look better when hanging on the garage wall.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They just cover the threads up so if you are off a bit when sliding the hinges in, the threads don't rip up paint or the liner.

Its a nice to have, not a ncesssity. But for $10. Why not?

This assumes you don't want to bother putting in the bottom hinge bolt once you remove them.
Sponsored