Sponsored

(Doug DeMuro Review) Here's Why the 2020 Jeep Gladiator Is the Hottest New Truck

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
don't Hummers air down and air up automatically?

What do jeepers do in the wild after they air down? How do they air up? What compressors do they use?
Yes, the Hummer H1 had CTIS (Central Tire Inflation System) as an option and some HUMWV's had it as well. It was a leaky PoS. I think I only saw it on one vehicle when I was in the Army. Of course I only drove them occasionally so my experience is a bit limited.
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I typically like his video reviews. This one was just eh.
But I am glad someone else brought this up. The scoring is meaningless, really. I heard there were some quality issues with the JL, so the JT gets a 6. I really like the X category, so I give it a 6. WTF? As said, he does give insight into some cool features though.
He's a car critic. It's job to be subjective and maybe even controversial on these things. But, at the end of the day, he rated the JT higher than every competitor but the Raptor and I don't think many of us would argue that one.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Anyone concerned he rated acceleration a 1 out of 10? I knew this wasn't going to be a race car but.... I know its a box and very heavy but...I guess I just hope it adequate.

My Ranger 4.0 was only rated 207 hp and 238 Torque. Granted it had a curb weight of 3,606 lbs. Hope the JT feels somewhat close as it has almost 60 extra horse power and almost 50lbs more torque, do you think that is enough to offset the extra 1400 lbs of weight?

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone concerned he rated acceleration a 1 out of 10? I knew this wasn't going to be a race car but.... I know its a box and very heavy but...I guess I just hope it adequate.

My Ranger 4.0 was only rated 207 hp and 238 Torque. Granted it had a curb weight of 3,606 lbs. Hope the JT feels somewhat close as it has almost 60 extra horse power and almost 50lbs more torque, do you think that is enough to offset the extra 1400 lbs of weight?
A 10 on his scale is something like a Bugatti Veyron. You need to compare accelleration with a similar vehicle.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
A 10 on his scale is something like a Bugatti Veyron. You need to compare accelleration with a similar vehicle.
But aren't you the guy talking about Super Charging your 3.6? Again I am not planning on winning an quarter miles here, just want to ensure I can get up Floyd Hill without having to but the blinkers on in the right lane.

PS I am getting the 3.6 with m/t and 4.10 gears. I will keep most everything stock. Except I will probably adding a few hundred pounds of armor, rock rails and MAYBE a belly pan.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But aren't you the guy talking about Super Charging your 3.6? Again I am not planning on winning an quarter miles here, just want to ensure I can get up Floyd Hill without having to but the blinkers on in the right lane.

PS I am getting the 3.6 with m/t and 4.10 gears. I will keep most everything stock. Except I will probably adding a few hundred pounds of armor, rock rails and MAYBE a belly pan.
I'm in the same boat. If I get a super/turbo charger, and I'm not 100% decided, it'll be for towing across I-70. I could still wait it out and get the diesel. TFLtruck may help me make up my mind. They said they are going to do towing tests on the 3.6 at 11000ft or more.

I'm planning on the Auto. I could get the Sport S with the max towing package (since that gives you 4.10 gears) but I'm jonesin' for a Rubicon this time around. It will be an overlanding rig. I'll take some fairly rough trails but it won't be a crawler. :)

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I'm in the same boat. If I get a super/turbo charger, and I'm not 100% decided, it'll be for towing across I-70. I could still wait it out and get the diesel. TFLtruck may help me make up my mind. They said they are going to do towing tests on the 3.6 at 11000ft or more.

I'm planning on the Auto. I could get the Sport S with the max towing package (since that gives you 4.10 gears) but I'm jonesin' for a Rubicon this time around. It will be an overlanding rig. I'll take some fairly rough trails but it won't be a crawler. :)
I was going to go Sport S + Max Tow, but after looking at the features I would add vs what's default on the Rubicon... it just makes the most sense IMHO to get the Rubicon. I might have to just get the basic version though. /c:

Off to watch the vidyo now.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

What do jeepers do in the wild after they air down? How do they air up? What compressors do they use?
You get a small compressor that runs off your battery. ARB seems to be a common one. They make single and dual compressors.
I’ve seen it mounted under a seat or even under the hood. Some fancy installs even add quick disconnects all around the car. There are some systems that even allow you to automatically deflate and inflate the tires all together.
By automatically I don’t mean like the hummer, just that you connect all 4 tires to the system and it will air up or air down all 4 at the same time.

The other option is a PowerTank CO2 system. That has its own pros and cons too.

I’ll probably get a PowerTank, that’s my current plan. It’s “easier” to manage and install than an air compressor. It’s also a lot quieter :)

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
You get a small compressor that runs off your battery. ARB seems to be a common one. They make single and dual compressors.
I’ve seen it mounted under a seat or even under the hood. Some fancy installs even add quick disconnects all around the car. There are some systems that even allow you to automatically deflate and inflate the tires all together.
By automatically I don’t mean like the hummer, just that you connect all 4 tires to the system and it will air up or air down all 4 at the same time.

The other option is a PowerTank CO2 system. That has its own pros and cons too.

I’ll probably get a PowerTank, that’s my current plan. It’s “easier” to manage and install than an air compressor. It’s also a lot quieter :)
i guess it depends how often you're going offroading.

I'll probably just bring along my Milwaukee M12 air compressor and a few batteries, lol.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
i guess it depends how often you're going offroading.

I'll probably just bring along my Milwaukee M12 air compressor and a few batteries, lol.
I have one of those too... but a PowerTank looks sooo much cooler!! :captain:

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I have one of those too... but a PowerTank looks sooo much cooler!! :captain:
what's the benefit to CO2 tank over H2O tank?

EDIT: well okay, "A Power Tank is the fastest and most powerful portable air solution. With the power of CO2 you can air up faster, reseat bigger tires safely (tested up to 46 in), and run air tools at full power. To see what Power Tank performance looks like for your tire size, check out our tire air up chart. Based on tire size and amount of air you are adding, it will tell you how many tires you can fill on one tank and how quickly you can do it. As an example, you can air up from 15 psi to 25 psi on a 35 inch tire in 19 seconds and you can air up 30 tires before needing to refill your 10 lb Power Tank! The same size tank can also remove 360 lug nuts at 90 ft/lbs from a 1/2 in impact wrench before empty. When it's empty, take your tank to a local fire extinguisher service shop, welding supply store, or beverage carbonics shop, and have it refilled for about $15-$25. "

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250

On-board-air (OBA) compressors and tanks from companies like ViaAir and ARB, or a CO2 tank with regulator and fittings. CO2 is generally a bit cheaper and faster to fill, but you are limited to eh amount of CO2 on hand.

If you want to get really fancy, you can pair an OBA compressor or two with something like this: https://www.strikeforcezebra.com/aircommand and do all 4 tires at the same time with precise control.

Lite Brite went that route and it looks really great:

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250

I don't think you can configure the M/T with the 4.10s - are you going aftermarket regear? The B&P tool has always added max-tow and A/T when selecting 4.10 gears for me.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think you can configure the M/T with the 4.10s - are you going aftermarket regear? The B&P tool has always added max-tow and A/T when selecting 4.10 gears for me.
Rubi with m/t and 4:10 gears

MadMax

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
He's a car critic. It's job to be subjective and maybe even controversial on these things. But, at the end of the day, he rated the JT higher than every competitor but the Raptor and I don't think many of us would argue that one.
You cant compare the raptor to a mid size truck because it is a full size truck. compare apples to apples not apples to oranges.
Sponsored