Sponsored

Draining water from separator ONLY when warned?

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Is it wise to only drain water from the separator if the indicator light comes on? My gut (ignorant) tells me why not just drain it after every few tanks but I was unable to find any mention of incorporating that as part of one's routine.

Do those with diesel experience just wait until warned or is it a good practice to clear any water regularly? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Sponsored

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
The owner's manual mentions every 10,000 miles to drain it. FWIW, I haven't drained mine, nor has my SO's father who has a Gen 2 with over 100,000 miles.

Jeep Gladiator Draining water from separator ONLY when warned? Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 12.51.27 PM

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
FYI, if you pull the fuel filter to "check things" the sealing o-ring will be swelled up and will not reseat and will get cut on re assembly.

Water in the separator is depended on how bad your fuel is in a location. Here in the desert we don't get a ton of rain or humidity. So it's nota big deal, maybe in the p.n.w it's a different story.

turn the drain every 10k if worried or wait till the computer tells you it's a issue.

Either you will need a new o-ring sourced from a place like mc master car or a whole new filter kit.

Ask me how i know....:headbang:

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Is it wise to only drain water from the separator if the indicator light comes on? My gut (ignorant) tells me why not just drain it after every few tanks but I was unable to find any mention of incorporating that as part of one's routine.

Do those with diesel experience just wait until warned or is it a good practice to clear any water regularly? Thanks in advance for any advice!
My Gladiator is a gas burner, but I own and have owned many diesel trucks and tractors over the years and it does not hurt anything to occasionally drain the water off of the separator.
In fact, I've owned some with questionable warning systems so I felt it good to drain off every now and then.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Can you get to the drain petcock on the Jeep filter without removing the little skid plate? On the Ram you can, but I haven't inspected the Jeep yet.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you get to the drain petcock on the Jeep filter without removing the little skid plate? On the Ram you can, but I haven't inspected the Jeep yet.
Not easily, not sure the skid plate is on all JT's. My Ruby has the skid plate and it's easy to remove.

Mash5

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Diesel SportS Gladiator, VW eGolf, Mazda3
Either you will need a new o-ring sourced from a place like mc master car or a whole new filter kit.
I assume you are talking about a Viton O ring that would not be prone to swelling with contact with fuel oil. Do you have a McMaster part number of what you used?

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I assume you are talking about a Viton O ring that would not be prone to swelling with contact with fuel oil. Do you have a McMaster part number of what you used?
i don't have a part number cause i haven't' tried to find one. I ended up buying a new filter assembly as i was pressed for time.

What ever the material, it doesn't like diesel and will swell in size. If I was to try and find a o-ring, vitron would be my go to. But it may swell to.

Mash5

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Diesel SportS Gladiator, VW eGolf, Mazda3
i don't have a part number cause i haven't' tried to find one. I ended up buying a new filter assembly as i was pressed for time.

What ever the material, it doesn't like diesel and will swell in size. If I was to try and find a o-ring, vitron would be my go to. But it may swell to.
Thanks. If anyone has dimensions of a new not swollen one, I can find the size. If viton swells it's from the water, not the fuel but it is fairly good with water too. (I design fuel pumps for a living.)

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
From many years of past diesel driving, at first indication of rough running I drain the water separator.
Even dry, arid regions can find water in their diesel. You have no idea how far that fuel traveled to get to you and you don't know the conditions it was stored under.
Never take for granted that your fuel is water free.
Sponsored