Driveline Vibration with 37’s

Gem1n1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
So. I had the dealership install a 2” MOPAR lift on my Rubicon. My wheels and tires hadn’t come in yet so i drove on the factory 33’s for awhile. I don’t remember noticing a vibration.
Op
Fast forward to my 37x20r20 BFG km3’s. Vibration starts. Notice it at highway speeds. Comes through the chassis, seat.

A day of road force balancing yields a bad tire. The front right would not balance. They ordered a new tire and put the bad one on the rear. Vibration stayed the same even putting the bad tire on rear. Nothing through the steering wheel.

New tire comes in. Mounts and road force balances great. Test drive- same vibration after new tire.

My friend has a JL with 37” bead locks that doesn’t vibrate on his JL. Swap wheels and tires to my JT to see if it’s in my wheels and tires.

Vibration is worse with his wheels and tires. His wheel and tire setup is 12 pounds per corner heavier.

Conclusion - it’s not my wheels and tires. The heavier weight of my wheels and tires over factory is amplifying a driveline issue.

It’s currently back at the dealership.

Looking for any kind of ideas and input in possible issue. Bent axle, driveshaft, etc...

Jeep has 6000 miles on it.
Sponsored

propkillr

First Name
Howell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jk
I put on stock size mud tires and new rims. had bad vibrations twice with the last that felt like the drive shaft would come thru the floorboard. I was told it was the rim holes weren't right. put that rim and tire under truck as spare. so far good ride.

OP
OP

Gem1n1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I put on stock size mud tires and new rims. had bad vibrations twice with the last that felt like the drive shaft would come thru the floorboard. I was told it was the rim holes weren't right. put that rim and tire under truck as spare. so far good ride.
Stupid question. What is a rim hole?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Stupid question. What is a rim hole?
I’m assuming he’s referring to the hole in the wheels where the lugs stick through.
If the lugs are properly centered when installed, and properly torqued, you shouldn’t have this issue...Theoretically.

Last edited:

Sponsored

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
.. wrong lug nuts used? ... aren't the lug nuts self centering?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
.. wrong lug nuts used? ... aren't the lug nuts self centering?
Some wheels are hub-centric (align off the hub), some wheels use wheel bolts (Porsche, Ferrari, etc...), and some are self-centering lug nut design if installed correctly with the correct matching type wheels.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Pinion angle?
Shouldn't be. Even up to a 3.5" lift shouldn't have to replace the driveshaft. I think anything taller than a 3.5" lift is when they recommend a new front driveshaft.

I'm running a TRUE 2.5" lift on the front of mine and don't have any issues.

I'd recheck your tires & wheels, and then make sure all your lugs are properly torqued to the wheel's spec from the manufacturer (each wheel mfg has their own torque specs).

Also, as dumb as this might sound, make sure they got all the lugs centered therefore centering the wheels, before tightening them down. That can also create a similar issue. Make sure they used the correct type of lug nuts, as well... Simple things like this can go a LONG way.

Replace your stock steering stabilizer with a Fox TS 2.0...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PFGHMB6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Check all your bolts under there to make sure everything is tight that they loosened up or replaced the parts with the ones from the lift. It's always best to double-check this type of thing.

OP
OP

Gem1n1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Shouldn't be. Even up to a 3.5" lift shouldn't have to replace the driveshaft. I think anything taller than a 3.5" lift is when they recommend a new front driveshaft.

I'm running a TRUE 2.5" lift on the front of mine and don't have any issues.

I'd recheck your tires & wheels, and then make sure all your lugs are properly torqued to the wheel's spec from the manufacturer (each wheel mfg has their own torque specs).

Also, as dumb as this might sound, make sure they got all the lugs centered therefore centering the wheels, before tightening them down. That can also create a similar issue. Make sure they used the correct type of lug nuts, as well... Simple things like this can go a LONG way.

Replace your stock steering stabilizer with a Fox TS 2.0...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PFGHMB6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Check all your bolts under there to make sure everything is tight that they loosened up or replaced the parts with the ones from the lift. It's always best to double-check this type of thing.
I’ve had it at two respected tire shops so I’m assuming one of them would of figured out if the lug nuts were not right.
I am rubbing a Fox ATS stabalizer. While it did fix the wandering on the road the vibration persists.

Its at the dealership now. They said they are tweaking driveline angles. They are the ones who installed the mopar lift. Said they double checked everything today and all was tight.

i spoke with a respected 4x4 custom shop today. They said it’s a high chance of pinion angles being the culprit and suggested adjustable control arms all the way around and let them dial in all the angles.

I’m awaiting the dealerships verdict before i throw any more money at it.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had it at two respected tire shops so I’m assuming one of them would of figured out if the lug nuts were not right.
I am rubbing a Fox ATS stabalizer. While it did fix the wandering on the road the vibration persists.

Its at the dealership now. They said they are tweaking driveline angles. They are the ones who installed the mopar lift. Said they double checked everything today and all was tight.

i spoke with a respected 4x4 custom shop today. They said it’s a high chance of pinion angles being the culprit and suggested adjustable control arms all the way around and let them dial in all the angles.

I’m awaiting the dealerships verdict before i throw any more money at it.
2" of lift should not cause the pinion angles to be so several that it's causing this...Unless you have a bad U-joint. They sound like they're trying to rip you off.

I'm just trying to help you out brother...I get nothing from this, I just want to help folks get their shit right... I may be new to Jeeps, but I've been lifting, building, and doing custom fabrication for offroad trucks for almost 20 years. Things like that send up immediate red-flags for me when a shop says pinion angle for only a 2" lift, and nobody else running these lifts has this issue.

So, to me, It has to be...

A.) Be something else causing the vibration
B.) You have a defective front driveshaft u-joint
C.) Something involving your tires or wheels has an issue.

I could be completely wrong, but the odds of it being anything other than those 3, is small.

But if it ends up being so, then I will gladly accept the results and store it into the knowledge bank for future helping of other JT owners.

OP
OP

Gem1n1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
2" of lift should not cause the pinion angles to be so several that it's causing this...Unless you have a bad U-joint. They sound like they're trying to rip you off.

I'm just trying to help you out brother...I get nothing from this, I just want to help folks get their shit right... I may be new to Jeeps, but I've been lifting, building, and doing custom fabrication for offroad trucks for almost 20 years. Things like that send up immediate red-flags for me when a shop says pinion angle for only a 2" lift, and nobody else running these lifts has this issue.

So, to me, It has to be...

A.) Be something else causing the vibration
B.) You have a defective front driveshaft u-joint
C.) Something involving your tires or wheels has an issue.

I could be completely wrong, but the odds of it being anything other than those 3, is small.

But if it ends up being so, then I will gladly accept the results and store it into the knowledge bank for future helping of other JT owners.
I appreciate that. So you think it would be the front driveshaft that is suspect? The vibration is coming through the chassis/seat at highway speed. I don’t feel anything through the steering wheel.

I’m all ears on ideas and not getting ripped off. lol. At the same time I’m desperate to find a fix and start enjoying my new Jeep.

The tires we have all but eliminated because we put my friends 37’s from his JL (Which doesn’t vibrate) on it and my gladiator vibrated worse. That lead us to believe it’s the additional weight of the tire setup magnifying something in the drivetrain since his wheel/tire setup weighs about 12-13 pounds more than my 37’s at each corner. This would line up with why i didn’t really notice it with the factory wheels/tires after lift was installed. Also, when they put the “bad” tire on the back from the front when they ordered a replacement the vibration didn’t move. Stayed coming through the seat.

What would you lean towards with that info?

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
As was mentioned above you are the first person mentioning trouble with the Mopar lift. Lots of people got it because it was the only thing available when the JT came out. So I doubt that pinion angle is your problem. I always prefer adjustable arms but I don't think they should be required here. If the dealership doesn't find anything you could always pull the front driveshaft and see if it goes away. Coming through your seat I would focus on the transfer case side of things. It doesn't happen often but things like bad bearings and joints do make it out of the factory.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate that. So you think it would be the front driveshaft that is suspect? The vibration is coming through the chassis/seat at highway speed. I don’t feel anything through the steering wheel.

I’m all ears on ideas and not getting ripped off. lol. At the same time I’m desperate to find a fix and start enjoying my new Jeep.

The tires we have all but eliminated because we put my friends 37’s from his JL (Which doesn’t vibrate) on it and my gladiator vibrated worse. That lead us to believe it’s the additional weight of the tire setup magnifying something in the drivetrain since his wheel/tire setup weighs about 12-13 pounds more than my 37’s at each corner. This would line up with why i didn’t really notice it with the factory wheels/tires after lift was installed. Also, when they put the “bad” tire on the back from the front when they ordered a replacement the vibration didn’t move. Stayed coming through the seat.

What would you lean towards with that info?
if you're it's 100% that it's coming through the seat, I feel it's a rear tire/wheel that's not balancing right...Based on personal experience.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As was mentioned above you are the first person mentioning trouble with the Mopar lift. Lots of people got it because it was the only thing available when the JT came out. So I doubt that pinion angle is your problem. I always prefer adjustable arms but I don't think they should be required here. If the dealership doesn't find anything you could always pull the front driveshaft and see if it goes away. Coming through your seat I would focus on the transfer case side of things. It doesn't happen often but things like bad bearings and joints do make it out of the factory.
Absolutely! Transfer case, and rearward sounds like his issue. This is the first I'm hearing about it being through the seat, and NOT on the steering wheel. You've also seem some stuff, so it's nice to have more than one on here that knows 4x4's. :like:
Sponsored