First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Supervisor
Here is a picture of my window sticker. My 2021 Overland Eco diesel is equipped with the heavy duty Dana 44 axles. As standard equipment.

8DB503D7-439E-44FF-8E93-4577ED9A536C.jpeg
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Says the same on all the gas Sport sticker as well

Dyzard

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0, 2012 jk
Occupation
Military
The limitation is the cooling system. There is not enough room for the proper sized cooling components to increase the rated towing capacity with the diesel engine. The Max Tow is rated at 7650 pounds for towing capacity with the gas engine. The diesel is limited to 6500 pounds. The other models are rated around 6000 pounds with the gas engine and the regular tow package. There's a chart somewhere that shows the official rating for each model/transmission combination with the gas engine.
Do you know where one could find this chart

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Overloaded? Yes. Illegal? Technically yes. Severely? not quite.

At 12580 GCW he was only 4% over the advertised GCWR of 12100 yet a WDH and load adjusted properly would still get him below the combined GAWRs for the load on the truck.

All that being said it is still below the GCWR of the 'Max Tow' which technically has a weaker front axle.
Not exactly.

A Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel has a payload capacity anywhere from 899 to 950 lbs. based upon the door jamb placards we've seen posted by owners. He was using 850 lbs. of this with people and gear in the truck. That means he was using around 90% of his available payload.

So, with 10% remaining, he had about 100 lbs. of payload left available. Since his trailer was putting 10-15% of it's weight on the tongue, that would have limited him to <1,000 lbs. of towing.

He was towing over SIX TIMES that amount.

By my defintion, that's SEVERELY overloaded and a DOT officer around here would have had a field day with him.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
It all depends where you are. Here, the inspection stations only check commercial vehicles, and they are closed a lot of the time. The authorities usually only get involved if there is an accident. They leave it up to the vehicle operator to know what they are doing. There are trailer brake requirements, and other things, they can cite you for if you are pulled over. All the cars I see pulled over are for speeding, and that is usually on the section of highway that crosses the reservation.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I did some searching. So eco diesel is not available with the max tow package? I have a 3800lb travel trailer. The Ecodiesel interests me with the higher mpg and torque. But will it tow as well as a sport s with max tow? What will I be missing with eco diesel and no max tow?
If only 3,800lbs, the diesel will out perform the gas. Lots more power, more weight on front axle. Better gas mileage.

jdwhichard

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
nurse
Vehicle Showcase
here in nc only thing illegal when tow or haul is if you dont have the tags to cover the weight
of what you are towing or hauling .you can get 13000 lbs tags for a f150 with 7200 GCWR . The DMV doesnt care what your GCWR is only thing they care about is your weight and brakes on all axles trailers over 3k tow 7650 lbs and a 4600 lbs truck with 4k min tags which they will not sell you 5k min, because the weight of the truck and you will have a $500 ticket

OP
OP
marcwithac

marcwithac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow
I forgot I started this thread. I thought about this for a long time but I ended up going with a V6 max tow. We tow the trailer 8 trips a year max. Maybe one longer trip. The V6 can do this no problem, it's not a heavy trailer. Diesel gets a guy more torque, better mpg and more range. But it also gets you higher costs up front, significantly higher maintenance costs, highly possible reliability issues, a much more complicated engine, DEF fluid, regen cycles, soot levels, fuel additives, no selec-trac....did I miss anything?

I'll pay a little more for fuel and deal with the anemic, gutless, high reving, reliable, mini van motor :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bulldog10

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Sarge Green Diesel
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Pilot, FAA ATC, Retired Gentleman Farmer Trying to Survive Divorce!
Vehicle Showcase
The limitation is the cooling system. There is not enough room for the proper sized cooling components to increase the rated towing capacity with the diesel engine. The Max Tow is rated at 7650 pounds for towing capacity with the gas engine. The diesel is limited to 6500 pounds. The other models are rated around 6000 pounds with the gas engine and the regular tow package. There's a chart somewhere that shows the official rating for each model/transmission combination with the gas engine.
JTDiesels come with 3.73 not 4.10-A Huge difference. RT??

Bulldog10

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Sarge Green Diesel
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Pilot, FAA ATC, Retired Gentleman Farmer Trying to Survive Divorce!
Vehicle Showcase
It won't matter if you have gas or diesel, we will be forced to go electric is short order!
Got a new DR Trimmer today and almost went for Electric but specs were short as well as battery Life so I will smell Gas for awhile!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Here is a picture of my window sticker. My 2021 Overland Eco diesel is equipped with the heavy duty Dana 44 axles. As standard equipment.

Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel Max Tow 8DB503D7-439E-44FF-8E93-4577ED9A536C
And if you look at, say, a High Altitude trim it says 'wide track" on the window sticker, hence the confusion.

Unfortunately EcoDiesel JTs are so rare that it's impossible to stop at a dealership and take measurements.
Sponsored