Sponsored

Ecodiesel on the Dyno. 3.73s with 37s

Sniper

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Ecodiesel Gladiator Rubicon JT370 AEV pkg.
Please help I am new to all this! Am I reading you guys right with this gear ratio regaring not to change it for 35 inch tires? I'm ordering the Gladiator Rubicon Diesel and having AEV do some modifications. AEV is pushing to get the 4.1 upgrade with the 35's Tires because 3.73 for 33's is about 4.1 to 35's. But you guys are saying the 3.73 was too high for the 33's so I should leave it for the 35's and just get the speedometer adjusted. Thanks!

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray JTRD, '09 Prius, '15 Odyssey
Please help I am new to all this! Am I reading you guys right with this gear ratio regaring not to change it for 35 inch tires? I'm ordering the Gladiator Rubicon Diesel and having AEV do some modifications. AEV is pushing to get the 4.1 upgrade with the 35's Tires because 3.73 for 33's is about 4.1 to 35's. But you guys are saying the 3.73 was too high for the 33's so I should leave it for the 35's and just get the speedometer adjusted. Thanks!
For 35s I would NOT regear. I have 37s and EcoDiesel and it keeps 8th gear pretty well. Torque comes in very low 1500-1700rpms so, you aren't at high RPMs to turn the tires on the highway and definitely not off road. I would recommend that you drive it for a while before doing it. Some ppl really just want that 'off-the-line' feeling. I didn't buy a Jeep to drag race but if that is a thing you are looking for, I would try Pedal Commander before regearing.

OP
OP
TheSolarWizard

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
get the 370 package with 4.56 and 37s

Sniper

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
get the 370 package with 4.56 and 37s
Question for you regarding this suggestion. I'm going to be using this primarily as a second second daily driver I guess you would say. Meaning second vehicle, my last hoo rah 4x4 (I'm near 60 years old) will play with it in the trails once a month most likely. So for 80 to 90% non off road although I will have over $75K into this Jeep friends are suggesting do I need the 37's when I first suggested it. I talked my self out of the 37's and then now the suggestion again always makes me wonder.

What do you think and why?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored

Sniper

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For 35s I would NOT regear. I have 37s and EcoDiesel and it keeps 8th gear pretty well.

Look at my attachment please on my use of the vehicle, I see you have 37's. SolarWizard suggested 37's and for me to get the larger AEV package. I'd like to see your suggestion for my use also. I've gone back and fourth on the 35 and 37 too many times and am indecisive. What does 37's compared to 35's do to gas mileage, daily wear and tear on vehicle etc?

solar 2021-01-07_3-46-36.jpg

OP
OP
TheSolarWizard

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Look at my attachment please on my use of the vehicle, I see you have 37's. SolarWizard suggested 37's and for me to get the larger AEV package. I'd like to see your suggestion for my use also. I've gone back and fourth on the 35 and 37 too many times and am indecisive. What does 37's compared to 35's do to gas mileage, daily wear and tear on vehicle etc?

solar 2021-01-07_3-46-36.jpg

aesthetics
extra belly pan and departure clearance
37s are similar in cost and the BFGs they use are really more like the competitions 35 height anyway and if you get a wild hair and decide you want a wider 38 at some point you’ll still have good gearing

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I feel the extra length and poor departure angle the Gladiator has requires 37's for even light trail work. If the gold standard for serious trail work in a JLU is 40's and up.......The Gladiator is 42's and up unless you want to grind on armor the whole time?

Mine will be for taking long distance camping trips in the desert and forest roads. I'm doing minimal amount of lift and 37's. I'm waiting on my diesel and expect that I will be putting 4.10's in it or possibly 4.30's when they are available since I do plan to tow and we have 9%+ grades in our area, but will drive it for a while before deciding.

Cant imaging wanting 4.56's unless you will spend most of your time off road loaded heavy and/or towing heavy. On the 8 speed trans direct is 6th gear, so why would you want to be pulling the hills WOT in an OD gear loaded anyway? I would want to gear for best economy/range on flat highway unloaded then you could drop to 6th or 7th when loaded heavy.

Sniper

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel the extra length and poor departure angle the Gladiator has requires 37's for even light trail work. If the gold standard for serious trail work in a JLU is 40's and up.......The Gladiator is 42's and up unless you want to grind on armor the whole time?

Mine will be for taking long distance camping trips in the desert and forest roads. I'm doing minimal amount of lift and 37's. I'm waiting on my diesel and expect that I will be putting 4.10's in it or possibly 4.30's when they are available since I do plan to tow and we have 9%+ grades in our area, but will drive it for a while before deciding.

Cant imaging wanting 4.56's unless you will spend most of your time off road loaded heavy and/or towing heavy. On the 8 speed trans direct is 6th gear, so why would you want to be pulling the hills WOT in an OD gear loaded anyway? I would want to gear for best economy/range on flat highway unloaded then you could drop to 6th or 7th when loaded heavy.

I had a long talk with AEV today, we talked for about an hour. He's going to be up here Monday and wanted to meet with me and shake hands, I'm not sure I'll be able to make it because I have a large project starting Monday and will be an hour south of the dealer at the time.

He talked to the engineers with the information I gave him about the gearing and the diesel, torque band etc... , they tested a few custom test Gladiators with the Diesel package several gear ratios tire sizes, various springs, they tuned the frequency of this entire suspension, etc... He said they are convinced the 37's with the 4.56 gears and this tuned suspension is the way to go with the 8 speed auto trans, has good gas mileage, said it cruises nice at 80 miles an hourm he cruised it around up in Colorado in the mountains and it drove beautiful comparing it to a corvette ;), because it's so stable with the suspension and can actually skid sideways not flipping at high speeds, pulls out from a dead stop nicely with the gear package. We are adding all sorts of goodies, the Zeon warren winch, painted interior ceiling to match the granite color outside, repaint the dash from red to granite, I have the list of other goodies at the office.

AEV are going to get me in before the dealers get the diesel package rolled out to them. I just got off the phone with FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles contact. I'll get my control number in a few days for my pricing and I'm going to figure out the incentives next, they are going to manually follow my order through the assembly line, I will get a detailed list each day of my build what stage is being conducted in production, I forgot to ask of I can get photos, they are throwing in extra some type of extra quality control audit. They also offered me to hand pick the dealer, so I'm going to go through the dealer close to me first, and let my FCA contact look it over to make sure I'm getting taken care of and I get the right deal.

I'm going with the granite color and going to make it sort of look like a military contractor / operator vehicle with a Black Ops appeal.

All these folks are giving me some first class treatment, wow am I impressed with all of them and this forum for all the help in me getting this order straight.

Thanks guys you have helped immensely!

Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel on the Dyno. 3.73s with 37s JT 370 2021-01-07_19-47-25

Last edited:

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Look forward to seeing the rig once you pick it up; be sure to post lots of pics!
Sponsored