Sponsored

Ecodiesel Rubicon Fox Shocks Insufficient

Cobblecrazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Anyone else finding the factory rubicon fox shocks insufficient for their diesel? Especially after adding steel bumper, winch, and steel rock sliders, the suspension has squatted in the front and damping seems lacking (wasn't great before either). I'm hitting bump stops on highways/interstates and moderate potholes/depressions around town. Probably will get 3/4" spacers for the front to get it back to normal height, but not finding options for stiffer shocks. Not sure what the mopar lift kit is like in terms of damping, I know they are 2.5" dia versus 2". I had good luck on my last jeep upgrading to Bilstein 5100s, might give them a buzz and see if a diesel specific shock is in the works.

related: Looking through the off road vendors and stores, looks like they all use the same shocks for gas and diesel models, which is concerning. Are the diesel shocks not stiffer than the gas? Public Mopar parts site isn't up yet with 21 diesel to cross check.
I have noticed the front seems to be too soft even for moderate weight. I have only added a stubby bumper with a winch on the front, and a 1/2 rack with a yakima box and bike rack on the back.

I saw some postings where they talked about the suspension manufacturers had not come out with a specific "diesel only" kit as the added weight of the engine still fell within their acceptable specs. I saw that Terraflex and Icon had progressive springs in their packages (and some offer progressive one's just by themselves). I think that with a shock with some type of adjustability might be fine. The Mopar springs are supposed to be rated higher than the stock Rubicon ones, but I haven't seen any documentation to say that is the case. I was interested in the Rough Country Vertex remote res shocks - $799 for the pair. They have an eight stage adjustability to them, but I haven't done a lot of checking into them to see about their quality. But looking at the full kit on the Quadratec site it specifically says not for the EcoDiesel.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Davekayc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 diesel
Occupation
Roadbuilder
Lessening my pressure by 2 pounds in 37s lessened the rebound of my tires and suddenly my suspension felt adequate .
Sponsored