First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Ecodiesel, 2019 KLT 3.2
Occupation
Engineer
Just curious - what does it feel like when you bottom out on the bump stop? I'm still in for the JTRD but find it a little annoying to know I'll have to modify the suspension almost immediately.
Sounds worse than it feels, still a bit jarring depending on how fast sprung pieces are traveling. Factory front bump stops don't give a lot of cushion or slowing before a hard thud. I think I'm running into it just because I've added a bunch of weight. Still torn on trying a spacer and shocks or waiting for replacement height stiffer springs or doing a full lift designed for diesel plus extra.
Sponsored

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow
Mopar 2.5 kit is rock-hard stiff on a Sport. Bucks like crazy on concrete freeways, but rides nice with a 5K lb trailer. Gotta nearly jump the thing to bottom out.

OP
OP

Predator31

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Ecodiesel, 2019 KLT 3.2
Occupation
Engineer
Mopar 2.5 kit is rock-hard stiff on a Sport. Bucks like crazy on concrete freeways, but rides nice with a 5K lb trailer. Gotta nearly jump the thing to bottom out.
The diesel kit? I thought I heard the shock valving was the same as the rubicon 2.0 foxes.

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The diesel kit? I thought I heard the shock valving was the same as the rubicon 2.0 foxes.
Sorry no, the standard kit. Just saying that the standard kit’s spring rate is really high so would expect the diesel version to be relatively same. Unless I somehow got a diesel kit put on my sport by mistake, which wouldn’t surprise me. Everyone keeps saying how the lift rides like stock, and I seem to be the only one that “doesn’t know what a Jeep should ride like.” 🤣
Anyway, not sure how it compares to the Fox 2.0, but a common complaint is that the Mopar kit is over-sprung and under-damped. I agree and may upgrade shocks, but the springs feel like they are best with about 400-500 extra lbs in the truck, at least on mine.

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLUR, S5
hey there sorry to chime in, my buddy has a new set of AEV JK borahs I want to put on my JT rubicon, but then I saw they had JL specific borahs and wasn't sure they'd work on my JT I know the off set/back space is different I'm planning on running 37 12.5 17 cooper stt's what are you running on your JL? thanks
I have the Jk version Borahs on the JL with 37x12.50r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
You're the first person I've seen say the Mopar lift is stiff. Can you elaborate? When you hit a bump is there a pretty fast response as opposed to a back-and-forth type response? That is how my stock gladiator acts, a loooooot of movement but relatively slowly and kind of makes me nauseous with a bunch of hits in a row. My old JLUR was much stiffer and the impact felt harsher, but it would settle way quicker.

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're the first person I've seen say the Mopar lift is stiff. Can you elaborate? When you hit a bump is there a pretty fast response as opposed to a back-and-forth type response? That is how my stock gladiator acts, a loooooot of movement but relatively slowly and kind of makes me nauseous with a bunch of hits in a row. My old JLUR was much stiffer and the impact felt harsher, but it would settle way quicker.
Fast, like it barely compresses unless it’s a big bump, then it rebounds quick too but no floating or wallowing, just “boing!”
Feel every crack in the road. On the bright side, I can hit speed humps at 45mph. Kinda fun like it’s built for big bumps now, but very harsh on the highway. Dealer just says “huh, weird” but that’s about it.

Bulldog10

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Sarge Green Diesel
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Pilot, FAA ATC, Retired Gentleman Farmer Trying to Survive Divorce!
Vehicle Showcase
Mopar 2" Lift has Fox Shocks bigger than Rubicon Stock. Just my 2 cents and I love the Lift!

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Fast, like it barely compresses unless it’s a big bump, then it rebounds quick too but no floating or wallowing, just “boing!”
Feel every crack in the road. On the bright side, I can hit speed humps at 45mph. Kinda fun like it’s built for big bumps now, but very harsh on the highway. Dealer just says “huh, weird” but that’s about it.
Interesting....I need to find someone nearby with that suspension so that I can feel it. I'm combatting the opposite issue with my stock Rubi gas suspension being way too soft and rocking like a boat.

Sponsored

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
Interesting....I need to find someone nearby with that suspension so that I can feel it. I'm combatting the opposite issue with my stock Rubi gas suspension being way too soft and rocking like a boat.
I have the Mopar 2" diesel lift on mine, I'm up in Longmont however I'm not sure how that compares to the gas lift kit.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Anyone else finding the factory rubicon fox shocks insufficient for their diesel? Especially after adding steel bumper, winch, and steel rock sliders, the suspension has squatted in the front and damping seems lacking (wasn't great before either). I'm hitting bump stops on highways/interstates and moderate potholes/depressions around town. Probably will get 3/4" spacers for the front to get it back to normal height, but not finding options for stiffer shocks. Not sure what the mopar lift kit is like in terms of damping, I know they are 2.5" dia versus 2". I had good luck on my last jeep upgrading to Bilstein 5100s, might give them a buzz and see if a diesel specific shock is in the works.

related: Looking through the off road vendors and stores, looks like they all use the same shocks for gas and diesel models, which is concerning. Are the diesel shocks not stiffer than the gas? Public Mopar parts site isn't up yet with 21 diesel to cross check.
I have a manual Rubicon with the gas engine. Once I put the steel bumper, winch and RSE steps with armor, I was constantly hitting the bump stops with the 4wheeling we do here on the west coast. Way, way too soft. I can just imagine with the extra 400 lbs with the Diesel.... I know you have a heavier spring up front, but, what your experiencing, I also experienced. When I bought my lift kit, I made sure to ask the vendor the front spring rate, and I got the right one for my wieight , --- and I also went with adjustable shocks. Now, I cannot even tell I have that weight up front.

haze521

First Name
haz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
e commerce
Vehicle Showcase
hey there sorry to chime in, my buddy has a new set of AEV JK borahs I want to put on my JT rubicon, but then I saw they had JL specific borahs and wasn't sure they'd work on my JT I know the off set/back space is different I'm planning on running 37 12.5 17 cooper stt's what are you running on your JL? thanks
hi just following up, hopefully you'll see this, just wanted to hear first hand from someone running the JK AEV borah's on a JT and see if there were any issues with back spacing etc. thank you.

SnazzyMojave

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
Nothing against AEV, as I like what they bring to the table, but thats what they said while they were developing the JL specific Borah wheel back in 2018 So the AEV dealer refused to sale me the JK Borah wheel because it was not approved for the JL Rubicon and may not work. I ended up purchasing them from Northridge. Fits as expected. Its part of marketing and I get it.

So the new diesel spring rate will fall in the range of the same shock they are using now is what I suspect.
Hey I have noticed that the JK AEV borah wheels have less backspacing than the JL/JT borah wheels (4.9" JK compared to the JL/JT 5.72") what size tires and lift are you running with these? I am thinking that they may be the ticket to no rubbing on a JT Mojave as opposed to the JL/JT specific ones.

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLUR, S5
Hey I have noticed that the JK AEV borah wheels have less backspacing than the JL/JT borah wheels (4.9" JK compared to the JL/JT 5.72") what size tires and lift are you running with these? I am thinking that they may be the ticket to no rubbing on a JT Mojave as opposed to the JL/JT specific ones.
On the JLUR I run a Nitto 37x12.50r17 on a 3” lift.
Sponsored