Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Hmmn, well, my info about who they had already gone after, who they nailed to the wall, who they took down and forced out of business is a year old. No surprise to see you post that..........
The EPA went after the diesel guys first because it was the most visible. Now they turned their attention to the gas guys and they seen what happened to the diesel guys. It's seems that Cobb Tuning is first on the list. They made a bunch of changes. UpRev, and Ecutek may be next. Word is already floating around of changes.
Sponsored

AHenry014

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
The EPA went after the diesel guys first because it was the most visible. Now they turned their attention to the gas guys and they seen what happened to the diesel guys. It's seems that Cobb Tuning is first on the list. They made a bunch of changes. UpRev, and Ecutek may be next. Word is already floating around of changes.
Guess I better order than Holley Terminator Xmax i need for a project now...

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
I did not expect this to happen in the states, but I guess it just shows how green and naive I am

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
The EPA is now going after the big gas tuners. Know of a couple people who have builds going on starting to shit themselves because they are scared that they may not get any turner to tune their car. Know of a couple of tuners not taking any new customers. Just doing EPA comp tunes.
It's just stupid, all this is going to do is drive people underground and force them to learn how to setup a megasquirt type system or turn to alibaba express and buy a chinese ecu reader and learn to tune themselves. Then the cat will be out of the bag once there is general knowledge and the people learn to fish....... Right now it's easier to pay someone.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
In some states, the emissions rules can vary from county to county. I’ve lived in both emissions testing counties and non-emissions testing counties in Virginia.
It's just stupid, all this is going to do is drive people underground and force them to learn how to setup a megasquirt type system or turn to alibaba express and buy a chinese ecu reader and learn to tune themselves. Then the cat will be out of the bag once there is general knowledge and the people learn to fish....... Right now it's easier to pay someone.
Will some people do that? Sure, but the vast majority of people are not going to go to that trouble.

Edit: At the end of the day, folks should be directing their ire toward the “rolling coal” peeps. That’s what got this particular environmental discussion (at the national level) started.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
In some states, the emissions rules can vary from county to county. I’ve lived in both emissions testing counties and non-emissions testing counties in Virginia.

Will some people do that? Sure, but the vast majority of people are not going to go to that trouble.

Edit: At the end of the day, folks should be directing their ire toward the “rolling coal” peeps. That’s what got this particular environmental discussion (at the national level) started.
They will be forced to learn when the EPA has shut down all the pro's that currently do the work.

It's gotten bad enough that ebay has black listed all aftermarket emissions related stuff. AKA tuners, exhaust products ects...

it's not just rolling coal that triggered this. There has been a steady pressure to choke off ICE's in all forms.

With the advent of cars now being rolling computers it has become easier to push that agenda and control things.

Wonder if you can fit a carb to a 3.6 ;)

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
They will when the EPA has shut down all the pro's that currently do the work.

It's gotten bad enough that ebay has black listed all aftermarket emissions related stuff. AKA tuners, exhaust products ects...
We’ll see. After a few horror stories from early adopters messing up their ECU’s because they attempted a “hold my beer and watch this” DIY tune, I would think that would dampen the excitement over that tuning method.

Ordering this kind of thing from a random vendor seems like a great way to introduce some kind of malware to your vehicles computer system.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
The EPA is now going after the big gas tuners. Know of a couple people who have builds going on starting to shit themselves because they are scared that they may not get any turner to tune their car. Know of a couple of tuners not taking any new customers. Just doing EPA comp tunes.
SO this is why you need to have HPTuners. The tuner can send you the file and you up load it.

Going into HP Tuners to turn off MIL or CEL permeantly is super easy.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
SO this is why you need to have HPTuners. The tuner can send you the file and you up load it.

Going into HP Tuners to turn off MIL or CEL permeantly is super easy.
I bet they are on the EPA hit list. As are other e-tuners too. If they are based in the states. The EPA is looking at them.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Heard of one diesel tuner moving shop to Mexico. There is a couple in Canada too.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
We’ll see. After a few horror stories from early adopters messing up their ECU’s because they attempted a “hold my beer and watch this” DIY tune, I would think that would dampen the excitement over that tuning method.

Ordering this kind of thing from a random vendor seems like a great way to introduce some kind of malware to your vehicles computer system.
You need people like Cobb, UpRev, HP Tuners to crack the ECU. Without them, you ain't doing shit to change anything inside of the ECU for engine performance. These people provide the software for tuning. The EPA already hit Cobb, and they changed on what you are allowed to do.

There is a shit load of horror stories on different forums about DIY tunes. Even the good tuners blow up an engine now and then. I had e-tunes with my Power Wagon. My Z is dyno tuned. I've got over 40 dyno runs on my Z tuning it.

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
I have an “E-Rod” LS3 in my 77 Trans Am (comes with a CARB sticker but I still had to have the CA smog referee bless it and apply their label to it. It’s basically the 2013 Camaro LS3.

I had thought there would be more carb certified engines that would come out after it but none ever did.

Looks like you can still buy the E-Rod from JEGS but the price has gone up $3K since I bought mine 3 years back. I added call outs for the ERod on the shaker and everyone thinks it’s an EV swap😀

B5AB5B25-818F-433A-A474-25A9375AAC05.jpeg

image.jpg

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I bet they are on the EPA hit list. As are other e-tuners too. If they are based in the states. The EPA is looking at them.
HP Tuners is just software to unlock and load a tune. When you receive it from HP Tuners, there is no tunes loaded, so the EPA would have a hard time pressing anything on them.

Its no different then jailbreaking any other electronic device. I'm a Cyber Security Management & Policy major
Sponsored