First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Fleet Maintenance Manager
Just bought a used, certified, 2020 Jeep Gladiator and the engine is so loud on start-up. I've got a knock and a rattle that sounds worse than my 5.9 cummins diesel on a bad day. The engine is also blowing oil out of the exhaust, it's showing up on the black fenders and tailgate. My family and I have owned Chrysler products for years, and this is the first time I've ever had an issue. Anyone else have anything like this with their Gladiators?

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
That doesn’t sound great. I’ll start with the basics, and ask if you’ve checked the oil level. Does that sounds seem like it’s coming from the top or bottom end of the motor?

OP
OP
Kintama40

Kintama40

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That doesn’t sound great. I’ll start with the basics, and ask if you’ve checked the oil level. Does that sounds seem like it’s coming from the top or bottom end of the motor?
Checked the oil level, it is fine. It comes from the left and right side of the motor. It is at the dealer now, they are saying the head will have to come off for sure.

OP
OP
Kintama40

Kintama40

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I guess Jeep cares doesn’t care..haha Just because it’s my first post, it doesn’t make me a troll. I’ve owned 6 Jeeps, so this is not my first rodeo. The rattle is real, and I am just making sure I don’t have a problem. I’m not a doom and gloom individual, and I know shit happens. I’m just making sure that after spending $43k, I’ve got something that’s going to last.

The shop can’t recreate the problem, and they are in touch with Jeep engineering. I’m more concerned about the blue puff of smoke on start up, and the oil blow out the tail pipe than anything else.

SwampThing78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 18 Jeep Willy’s JKU
I guess Jeep cares doesn’t care..haha Just because it’s my first post, it doesn’t make me a troll. I’ve owned 6 Jeeps, so this is not my first rodeo. The rattle is real, and I am just making sure I don’t have a problem. I’m not a doom and gloom individual, and I know shit happens. I’m just making sure that after spending $43k, I’ve got something that’s going to last.

The shop can’t recreate the problem, and they are in touch with Jeep engineering. I’m more concerned about the blue puff of smoke on start up, and the oil blow out the tail pipe than anything else.
I have the same issue. On a cold start I hear it and as it warms up it goes away. Past couple of days I’ve noticed the coolant temp shift, usually at a stop light I’m cool at 204 dropping to 195.....lately at the stop light 219-221 and it’ll cool right back down once I get going. Fans do come on, maybe I have a bubble in the system or related to the knocking. If you can please keep us updated, first stop when I get home is the dealer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kintama40

Kintama40

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Got it back from the dealer, they couldn't recreate the problem. They changed the oil and did some software updates, haven't had any issues since bringing it home. Glad to be back in the saddle again :)

SwampThing78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 18 Jeep Willy’s JKU
Got it back from the dealer, they couldn't recreate the problem. They changed the oil and did some software updates, haven't had any issues since bringing it home. Glad to be back in the saddle again :)
How’s the gladiator?? Still running smooth?

OP
OP
Kintama40

Kintama40

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No problems, running totally fine. These engines are a little noisy, but I haven’t heard anything else that super concerns me.

OP
OP
Kintama40

Kintama40

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engine is loud again, and consuming oil. Looks like it’s going to go back to the dealer again, super disappointed.

I’ve owned a few Jeep’s, and this one is the best.....but the worst.
Sponsored