Engine replace after 525 miles

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Can't stop laughing. You are right I would have done the same, too. MY daughter would never have been happy with a jeep. She didn't even want my silver anniversary corvette. She settled for a brand new BMW sedan. And that too wasn't good either. Oh well, we told her.

My kid can’t wait to get the Jeep. She loves working on it with me. I’ll take the Vette off your hands 😂
Sponsored

OP
OP

ahr6912

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep unlimited wrangler sport
Occupation
retired, jeweler
That sounds like they can't get it to misfire again and are extra cautious. If someone cleared the computer before identifying the issue they may be trying to get it to happen again. It could have been something as simple as a loose wire that they fixed by unplugging/replugging and now they can't get the misfire to happen again. I used to have a GMC half a ton that misfired if you turned too fast because of a break in the spark plug wire.

The point is if they need to drive it to get it to misfire or diagnose then it may have been something simple.
That's why the service adviser, (SA), called to get my permission for him to drive it over the weekend. As he said, to see if it misfired on the road. BTW, I should have mentioned this. I got an email from, [email protected]
Stating:
Triggered Alerts, View full info on your dashboard. 1 Services Required, Schedule your appointment now, (1) Powertrain. Malfunction Indicator Light.
Their software saw an error from the $2000$ optional transmission. The SA said their code revealed a misfire. Which I never heard or felt. Which source is truthful, the SA dealer, or the jeep email?

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
You had a misfire and a knock..........

And yet there's people who have had theirs worked on for days or longer, and still have the same engine - repaired.

I guess in your case they didn't know how to read the data to find misfire sources - but the knock was probably the deciding factor.

If they drive or operate these recoding things live, a misfire should show up, along with a dozen pages of related data like A/F ratio, temperatures of almost everything, timing, and more.
The only issue should be if they can't get it to misfire, otherwise if it does, they should see it happen and capture the data at that time.

The knock was pretty bad you could feel it just sitting in the truck. They worked on it for a couple weeks and couldn’t figure it out. FCA offered a new engine vs wasting more time trying to diagnose.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The knock was pretty bad you could feel it just sitting in the truck. They worked on it for a couple weeks and couldn’t figure it out. FCA offered a new engine vs wasting more time trying to diagnose.

That knock alone is good reason, regardless of other issues. So few know how to actually rebuild engines, and these are so different.......... not sure I'd want an engine back that had been torn down and rebuilt by those working at dealerships. They just don't do it and aren't trained.
And of course - the parts......... labor at 150/hour like in many locations.
Yeah, I can see why they did that in your case.
And being able to feel it? That's pretty bad!

Boston Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
About 1986 I was working at a Lincoln Mercury garage. We had Grand Marquis coming off the truck and we were replacing the engines before they could go on the lot. I want to say we did like cars. I think it was for an engine knock. Just like a software update when you power up your new cell phone! lol

Sponsored

OP
OP

ahr6912

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired, jeweler
My kid can’t wait to get the Jeep. She loves working on it with me. I’ll take the Vette off your hands 😂
Very funny, long gone, that's the one with the different engine from its original one. Never knew about it till I traded it in. Great kid btw. Luck you.

OP
OP

ahr6912

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired, jeweler
About 1986 I was working at a Lincoln Mercury garage. We had Grand Marquis coming off the truck and we were replacing the engines before they could go on the lot. I want to say we did like cars. I think it was for an engine knock. Just like a software update when you power up your new cell phone! lol
Interesting.

Boston Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Driving my JT at about 2,500 miles the check engine light started to flash. No driveability symptoms. For about 10 seconds then shut off. I have 2,950 on it now and hasn't been on since. Am just going to keep an eye on it till I get it in for the next LOF.

OP
OP

ahr6912

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired, jeweler
Driving my JT at about 2,500 miles the check engine light started to flash. No driveability symptoms. For about 10 seconds then shut off. I have 2,950 on it now and hasn't been on since. Am just going to keep an eye on it till I get it in for the next LOF.
Good luck. I'll keep everyone posted on the FCA jeep rep's promise to me after Monday's call from them.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I would not recommend owning an off-road engineered vehicle to anyone who lets issues bother them. It can be part of the ownership experience. I mean everything from the stereo to drivetrain. Certainly the suspension and steering. Ownership can require a lot of patience while issues are diagnosed or corrected through repairs and recalls. If doing such work is bothersome avoid the headache and get a 2wd truck or passenger car. An enduro motorcycle requires much more maintenance and hands on diagnostics than a street bike, built for different purposes.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ahr6912

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired, jeweler
I would not recommend owning an off-road engineered vehicle to anyone who lets issues bother them. It can be part of the ownership experience. I mean everything from the stereo to drivetrain. Certainly the suspension and steering. Ownership can require a lot of patience while issues are diagnosed or corrected through repairs and recalls. If doing such work is bothersome avoid the headache and get a 2wd truck or passenger car. An enduro motorcycle requires much more maintenance and hands on diagnostics than a street bike, built for different purposes.
Seriously, "lets issues bother them", sure let's pull the engine on your brand new Glad. lol. Or keep your car/truck in the shop with no rental going on for 3 weeks. Yep, you and your Zoloft will be just fine. Again lol. Please, 66 years old, been through 37 + cars/trucks so far. Only one Lemon Law case. An '89 Volvo, where at a stoplight the car would sometimes just turn off. BTW, what does a bike have to do with a street vehicle? Anyway, that was fun.

OP
OP

ahr6912

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired, jeweler
That knock alone is good reason, regardless of other issues. So few know how to actually rebuild engines, and these are so different.......... not sure I'd want an engine back that had been torn down and rebuilt by those working at dealerships. They just don't do it and aren't trained.
And of course - the parts......... labor at 150/hour like in many locations.
Yeah, I can see why they did that in your case.
And being able to feel it? That's pretty bad!
Quick thought here. Never had a knock or noise on the vehicle.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Quick thought here. Never had a knock or noise on the vehicle.
Again, a misfire can be many things. Without a noise, a misfire could be an injector, a coil, a spark plug, an O2 sensor, or as bad as a cam and/or rockers (followers)
Often, maybe typically, a cam issue has a tick sound. The tick-tick would repeat about half engine RPM because the camshaft turns at half engine RPM.
But if your not sure what to listen for, you could mistake it for normal valve train noise, or even injector noise (although IMO, these are pretty quiet injectors, and even the valve train in normal condition is no more noisy than the straight 6 4.0 liter.
IF there's a loud tick-tick on the upper side of the engine, coming from one side or the other, then look for valve train issues.
If it's quiet, and there is no tick even at higher RPM and none at idle, then it's not the first place to look.
Seriously, if they know what they are doing, and can read what their scanners tell them is going on, they should be able to detect or see a misfire in the clues.
The stuff i posted before was a log from a Jeep that had a misfire - and it did NOT trigger the check engine light at any time. The light never so much as flickered, and yet I caught it in the act of multiple cylinder 3 misfires. It was up to them to determine the cause, but I gave them the pieces of the puzzle, the clues. That's info they can get themselves if they try.

The trouble will be if there's no stored code, it's not currently doing a misfire while they have it.

When I took my wife's Jeep to the dealer for the misfire in her 3.6 - I had a really bad feeling - and I was right. The dumb thing behaved like a kid going to the dentist. All of a sudden it ran sooth as silk. No misfires, no jumping, totally smooth. But because I gave them the log, they at least knew it had an ignition misfire, cylinder 3 and saw all of the conditions at the time they still resolved it, but if it didn't misbehave for them, there were no stored codes, I'd have ended up bringing it back unfixed.
Misfires don't always store codes, they don't always request the light.

I've been thinking about this a while, seeing the cam issues that have come up - what if mine misfired, and there were no indications it was ignition, there was no clear-cut direction to follow - would I agree to pay them for removing the right valve cover and visually inspecting the cam and rockers? And that if there was trouble there, I'd owe nothing, if it was fine in that area (I'd want clear pics or to see it myself) maybe pay just for piece of mind? I've been thinking about that.

OP
OP

ahr6912

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired, jeweler
Again, a misfire can be many things. Without a noise, a misfire could be an injector, a coil, a spark plug, an O2 sensor, or as bad as a cam and/or rockers (followers)
Often, maybe typically, a cam issue has a tick sound. The tick-tick would repeat about half engine RPM because the camshaft turns at half engine RPM.
But if your not sure what to listen for, you could mistake it for normal valve train noise, or even injector noise (although IMO, these are pretty quiet injectors, and even the valve train in normal condition is no more noisy than the straight 6 4.0 liter.
IF there's a loud tick-tick on the upper side of the engine, coming from one side or the other, then look for valve train issues.
If it's quiet, and there is no tick even at higher RPM and none at idle, then it's not the first place to look.
Seriously, if they know what they are doing, and can read what their scanners tell them is going on, they should be able to detect or see a misfire in the clues.
The stuff i posted before was a log from a Jeep that had a misfire - and it did NOT trigger the check engine light at any time. The light never so much as flickered, and yet I caught it in the act of multiple cylinder 3 misfires. It was up to them to determine the cause, but I gave them the pieces of the puzzle, the clues. That's info they can get themselves if they try.

The trouble will be if there's no stored code, it's not currently doing a misfire while they have it.

When I took my wife's Jeep to the dealer for the misfire in her 3.6 - I had a really bad feeling - and I was right. The dumb thing behaved like a kid going to the dentist. All of a sudden it ran sooth as silk. No misfires, no jumping, totally smooth. But because I gave them the log, they at least knew it had an ignition misfire, cylinder 3 and saw all of the conditions at the time they still resolved it, but if it didn't misbehave for them, there were no stored codes, I'd have ended up bringing it back unfixed.
Misfires don't always store codes, they don't always request the light.

I've been thinking about this a while, seeing the cam issues that have come up - what if mine misfired, and there were no indications it was ignition, there was no clear-cut direction to follow - would I agree to pay them for removing the right valve cover and visually inspecting the cam and rockers? And that if there was trouble there, I'd owe nothing, if it was fine in that area (I'd want clear pics or to see it myself) maybe pay just for piece of mind? I've been thinking about that.

OP
OP

ahr6912

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired, jeweler
I really appreciate the effort of your reporting and options. Thanks. In regards to paying them...not on your life. Brand new vehicle, 525 miles. Also, my driving habits are monitored by Drive Safe through State Farm. I will have documentation of downtime and a clear diagnosis of the problem from the servicing dealer. Or they can keep it. If they're foolish enough to try to charge me. I'll bond it out and see them in court. Been there done that. Thanks for the time you put into this.
Sponsored