Sponsored

ESS Warning Light is back ....Pretty Bummed!

Jellygladiator

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
retired
I’m still trying to figure out mine, once while it was at a stop and motor off it just started back up without taking foot off the brake
Sometimes at a stop it don’t shut off at all
Sponsored

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
If it were me I'd find a definite list of all the parameters that have to happen and all of the sensors that it looks at to make ESS happen. I would go down the list checking them for damage, connection issues etc.
That is what the dealer should have been doing anyhow.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I’m still trying to figure out mine, once while it was at a stop and motor off it just started back up without taking foot off the brake
Sometimes at a stop it don’t shut off at all
The climate control will re-start the engine

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So after the 2nd dealer worked on the Mysterious "ESS Warning Light' and only having it back for one day....the same warning light is back on!
2 months ago, 1st dealer diagnosis it as a faulty driver door switch, couple days in while waiting for part, they install....nope, that's not the fix. They tell me they'll need it for a week or two as they think it might need a total rewiring job! Ummm, not sure about that idea!!!
So I take it to dealer #2, they have it for 2 weeks while diagnosing it themselves, decide it's a faulty BCM module, order and install....picked it up Friday, and yesterday it comes back on......

Not sure if anyone else has had this come up, but not sure what next steps are in order....

Thoughts?

Still love our JT!!!!

P.S. - @JeepCares any ideas?

ESS Warning Light.jpg
I've seen this light come on two or three times. Each time, the issue resolves itself after some time passes, leading me to believe that the auxiliary battery may be getting drawn down as the truck sits for an overnight period or longer, and then once driven the battery gets recharged and the ESS system comes back to life upon the next restart.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
There's an entire list in the owners manual of thresholds that must be met before ESS will kick in.

OP
OP
Tacoman03

Tacoman03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bright White JT Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Range Rover Velar; 2017 Jaguar F Pace
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen this light come on two or three times. Each time, the issue resolves itself after some time passes, leading me to believe that the auxiliary battery may be getting drawn down as the truck sits for an overnight period or longer, and then once driven the battery gets recharged and the ESS system comes back to life upon the next restart.
It was lit for 2 months straight between dealer visits. Then new BCM installed last Friday, and within 24 hours, warning light goes back on.

OP
OP
Tacoman03

Tacoman03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bright White JT Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Range Rover Velar; 2017 Jaguar F Pace
Vehicle Showcase
Checked fuses, all seated. Drivers door now doesn’t trigger interior lights when opened and Auto Park safety feature deactivated.....waiting to hear back from dealer #2...think they are avoiding me.

Sponsored

Jellygladiator

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
retired
Checked fuses, all seated. Drivers door now doesn’t trigger interior lights when opened and Auto Park safety feature deactivated.....waiting to hear back from dealer #2...think they are avoiding me.
Have you tried changing your user name to something Jeep ??

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It was lit for 2 months straight between dealer visits. Then new BCM installed last Friday, and within 24 hours, warning light goes back on.
Well, did they replace the Hall-effect sensor on the negative battery cable? Did they do the "re-learn" procedure on the system?

When my ESS system died on my JLU, they had the Jeep for two weeks and finally contacted FCA for help. They had already replaced the Aux. battery and the sensor on the battery cable with no luck. FCA had them go through a "re-learn" procedure, which took hours to do, and the ESS system never had another hiccup after that.

OP
OP
Tacoman03

Tacoman03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, did they replace the Hall-effect sensor on the negative battery cable? Did they do the "re-learn" procedure on the system?

When my ESS system died on my JLU, they had the Jeep for two weeks and finally contacted FCA for help. They had already replaced the Aux. battery and the sensor on the battery cable with no luck. FCA had them go through a "re-learn" procedure, which took hours to do, and the ESS system never had another hiccup after that.
I will ask when they figure out when they can get me back in. Thanks for the info!

Gxserjoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator sport s
My Gladiator Sport S was back in the shop 30 days after purchase. For the ESS light. Aux battery codes, dealer replaced both batteries and replaced the power distribution center. Perfect for 90 days. Now back in the shop. Totally dead. Will not do anything now.

20191007_163931.jpg

Resized_20191007_150254.jpeg

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
My Gladiator Sport S was back in the shop 30 days after purchase. For the ESS light. Aux battery codes, dealer replaced both batteries and replaced the power distribution center. Perfect for 90 days. Now back in the shop. Totally dead. Will not do anything now.

20191007_163931.jpg

Resized_20191007_150254.jpeg
Hi Gzserjoe,
We regret to learn about your experience with your new Gladiator. Has a case been opened on the Customer Care side to assist you while working with your dealer? If not, please send our team a private message.
Alex
Jeep Cares
Sponsored