Exhaust Mod Help/ Question

MojaveMags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Just joined the forum and this is my first post so any help would be appreciated.

I am in the process of purchasing a used 2020 Mojave. Very excited as it will be my first Jeep and took years of saving. Wish I could buy new but I just cannot afford it. Before I test drove it I could tell the exhaust system was modified. The truck is in mint condition and rides great except for the fact that in my opinion the exhaust is way too loud for my liking and not a fan of the dual exhaust with chrome tips. When accelerating around 2000-3000 rpms or accelerating on the highway the cabin noise is way too loud for my taste. I was able to use this to my advantage and negotiate a lower price. The dealer was even able to get back the OEM exhaust from the previous owner and is giving it to me for no charge as part of the deal I negotiated with him. No other mods have been done on the Jeep.

My first question is what would be a fair price to have the OEM exhaust installed back in? I live in Southern Connecticut which seems like everything is overpriced but from my research it seems like it should be about 2 hours of labor?

My second question is there any way to keep the Flowmaster on but mod it to quiet it down a bit? Is it even possible or does anyone have any experience being in a similar situation?

Or do I purchase another Cat-Back system and have that installed as I could always sell the other two? Was looking at the Dynomax Quiet Crawler. Seems a little louder than stock but not too loud. Has anyone installed this exhaust?
Sponsored

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group
Welcome to the forum. Good that you got the Stock system back. IMO go to a muffler shop or local mechanic, not the dealership; labor rates vary. A good muffler shop, upon inspection, could advise on options to your other questions. Look up on Utube for videos, multiple are available with multiple exhaust systems and modifying the stock system too. My experience is with B2 Fabrications and it has a "Drone" at 2100-2400 rpm that is 2x loud vs the other rpm ranges. I am looking at several other options .. 1 being AWE ( I have a friend with that on and I plan to drive his for my evaluation).

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
1. I have the AWE trail rated exhaust and really like it, but I’ll also say you are wise to try it first.
2. If you have a jack, jack stands, and simple hand tools it’s really easy to remove the exhaust and install the new one. If you get ridiculous quotes you might consider just doing it yourself. I jacked up the rear of my JT to make more room between the axle and bottom of the bed and the entire exhaust was easily removed in one piece. I would think installing one the same way would be just as easy.

OP
OP
MojaveMags

MojaveMags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback. UTube videos show it doesn't look too difficult. Just trying to figure out if it's worth it going with another mod exhaust. Some say maybe you are getting an extra 5hp on top of it sounding a little more like a truck?

It's just tough to find what these systems sound like besides watching videos online. In my experience these recordings never really have good audio.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on exhaust systems? Looking for something a little louder than stock.

I was able to find out that the Jeep has a the following exhaust: Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-Back Exhaust System Dual Side Exit With 3-1/2” Polished Tips 3.6L Jeep Gladiator 2020-2022

Did some research and no mentions anything about drone being produced by this system but on my experience it's definitely there.

slowstang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
It seems like there are a lot of aftermarket exhaust systems being sold second hand for the Gladiator. I assume it is because they are just unbearable and people went back to stock.

Sponsored

Not2Late

First Name
Tarik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2017 Jeep JK
Occupation
Education
If you are thinking of keeping it or going with another Cat-Back system to gain a few hp, I am not sure that actually happens. Most of these systems are designed for sound enhancement or a certain look. To really realize a usuable hp gain, I would think you would need to incorporate freeing up the "breathing" all along the intake and exhaust track. That includes the headers, the rest of the exhaust system (including the converters) and intake. Along with tuning to take advantage of the better airflow. Just my opinion from some of the things I have researched over the years and the various cars I have thought about ugrading the exhaust on.

Arisdocjk

First Name
Aris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Optometrist
I have the AFE Mach force xp. It is the perfect sound. You can hear it when accelerating but not loud. There is zero drone. My wife hates exhaust systems and it doesn’t bother her. My gladiator is our trip vehicle. I just wanted something that had a little sound but not too aggressive. This exhaust was perfect. Sometimes I wish it was a little louder but most of the time I’m glad it’s not. AFE will periodically run 20% sales too! If you have any more specific questions just let me know.

SIG551-A1

First Name
Stazi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Engineer
I have the stock exhaust and just removed the one big middle suitcase muffler and reconnected the exhaust with a pipe where that muffler was. The exhaust sounds perfect. No drone, and not loud, but it now sounds like a truck and not a Honda CRV

OP
OP
MojaveMags

MojaveMags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the stock exhaust and just removed the one big middle suitcase muffler and reconnected the exhaust with a pipe where that muffler was. The exhaust sounds perfect. No drone, and not loud, but it now sounds like a truck
I have the stock exhaust and just removed the one big middle suitcase muffler and reconnected the exhaust with a pipe where that muffler was. The exhaust sounds perfect. No drone, and not loud, but it now sounds like a truck and not a Honda CRV
Did you weld the pipe or use clamps?

SIG551-A1

First Name
Stazi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Engineer
I welded it to avoid future exhaust leaks.

Sponsored

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
Drone is common with aftermarket systems on these.

The other challenge is getting feedback from people who know what an exhaust is supposed to sound like. Most people are used to hearing drone due to the Tuners scene. People actually think that tin can sound is what an exhaust is supposed to do!

There are several users on here using a J pipe to chill out the drone on their systems. I think the magic number was a 29" J pipe, but I would have to look it up in the exhaust section.

I tried an aftermarket system, the drone started around 2000 RPM and ran up to 2800 RPM. Since it runs 2100 RPM at 70, this was a pretty unacceptable amount of drone where I live.

Good luck!

OP
OP
MojaveMags

MojaveMags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah at this point I think I'm just going to install the OEM exhaust back on. Seems like a majority of these aftermarket cat-back systems produce too much drone for my liking.

At some point I can always swap it out.

Anyone interested in buying the exhaust? It is a Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-Back Exhaust System Dual Side Exit With 3-1/2” Polished Tips 3.6L Jeep Gladiator 2020-2022

I live in Southern Connecticut. Make me an offer. Brand New is $699.

AHenry014

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Sounds like the boat I was in with my Jeep. It came with the Mopar Performance dual exhaust and IMO was way too loud. I didnt have an OEM option available to me at the time, so I opted to install the dynomax quiet crawler which is a nice mix of a little rumble but overall very quiet.

In your case, Id bring it to an exhaust shop and have them install the OEM unit, then bring the flowmaster home and resell via marketplace.

svenbeard

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator MT
In case you hadn't seen my reply on an older exhaust thread and haven't already made a decision I hope this may be of some help:

Suitcase Muffler Delete - OEM Exhaust

Keep in mind that on both of my videos I was going wide-open throttle so it could be heard.

While there are a lot of options out there I ended up just having the suitcase (middle) muffler cut and replaced with a straight pipe. I had the shop leave the cylindrical resonator (front) and rear back baffle/resonator/muffler (rear).

Videos for reference:
Revs and Acceleration

Jeep Gladiator Suitcase Muffler Delete

It's no V8 but I haven't been bothered by the sound. You hear it on acceleration and once you get up to speed you don't (besides a very very slight rumble that's usually drowned out by road/tire/wind/radio noise) - drone is non-existent to my ears. For $60 I thought this experiment was worth trying.
Sponsored