cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Looking for exhaust upgrade....

leaning towards Borla s type.. attack too much

thoughts and recommendations
People normally recommend what they personally have. Maybe it's for self justification, I don't know. Your best bet is to find some sound clips and pick a tone that you like.

I couldn't justify the price of some of the systems out there so I had the center muffler and resonator cut off and had a Magnaflow muffler put in their place. I loved the sound but had a drone around 2 to 2.2k rpm. I went back to the muffler shop and had a J pipe installed and now it's perfect. I'm sure others will chime in with what they did but they all have good reasons for choosing what they did. No right or wrong.

teleportJeep

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
People normally recommend what they personally have. Maybe it's for self justification, I don't know. Your best bet is to find some sound clips and pick a tone that you like.

I couldn't justify the price of some of the systems out there so I had the center muffler and resonator cut off and had a Magnaflow muffler put in their place. I loved the sound but had a drone around 2 to 2.2k rpm. I went back to the muffler shop and had a J pipe installed and now it's perfect. I'm sure others will chime in with what they did but they all have good reasons for choosing what they did. No right or wrong.
Can you post pictures of your setup.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I deleted the front resonator mostly for ground clearance. Very little if any change in sound.

Sponsored

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
Not a great picture but you get the idea.

Jeep Gladiator Exhaust upgrade Rear.JPG
J pipe...I’ve never heard of that...can you explain the function of that? Is the J pipe sealed off at the end?

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J pipe...I’ve never heard of that...can you explain the function of that? Is the J pipe sealed off at the end?
Yes, it's sealed at the end. There's a formula to figure length but as to how it works.....

The drone is at a frequency which is so many cycles per second (Hz). If you can introduce a frequency that is 180 degrees out of phase with that frequency you'll cancel it out. The J pipe works similar to blowing across a soda bottle as it creates a tone. The object of a J pipe is to make it long enough to make a tone 180 degrees out of phase with your drone to cancel it. They're also referred to as quarter wave pipes as the sound has to travel one quarter of the wave down the pipe, reflect back a quarter of the wave to add up to one half a wave. It's basically a passive noise cancelling device. If you've ever looked at an air intake and wondered what those perpendicular random tubes were for for, sticking out to the sides, now you know. Those are called Helmholtz resonators and work the same way. They're used to tame intake resonance at certain frequencies. The exhaust J pipe is very effective at cancelling drone.

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
Yes, it's sealed at the end. There's a formula to figure length but as to how it works.....

The drone is at a frequency which is so many cycles per second (Hz). If you can introduce a frequency that is 180 degrees out of phase with that frequency you'll cancel it out. The J pipe works similar to blowing across a soda bottle as it creates a tone. The object of a J pipe is to make it long enough to make a tone 180 degrees out of phase with your drone to cancel it. They're also referred to as quarter wave pipes as the sound has to travel one quarter of the wave down the pipe, reflect back a quarter of the wave to add up to one half a wave. It's basically a passive noise cancelling device. If you've ever looked at an air intake and wondered what those perpendicular random tubes were for for, sticking out to the sides, now you know. Those are called Helmholtz resonators and work the same way. They're used to tame intake resonance at certain frequencies. The exhaust J pipe is very effective at cancelling drone.
Absolutely fascinating!! Thanks for the explanation! So I guess the shop takes measurements and calculates how long the J pipe needs to be?

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely fascinating!! Thanks for the explanation! So I guess the shop takes measurements and calculates how long the J pipe needs to be?
I told them how long to make it. Most muffler shops are just parts swappers. The shop I used had never heard of a J pipe till I explained it to them.

Sponsored

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 50 Willys, 76 CJ
Build Thread
Link
@cecaa850 OK, I will take the bait.....how the heck did you know how long to make it? I have the Mopar Performance exhaust - modified from below the bumper to coming out right behind the tires and wondering if this would make life better.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@cecaa850 OK, I will take the bait.....how the heck did you know how long to make it? I have the Mopar Performance exhaust - modified from below the bumper to coming out right behind the tires and wondering if this would make life better.
Is there one certain rpm that the drone is worst?

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same as yours in the 2-2.1k rpm range

Watch your tach and see where it's the loudest. If it's:

2000 go 33.6"
2100 go 32"
2200 go 30.5"

The J pipe will cancel noises a little above and below the tuning frequency so you've got some fudge room if it isn't perfect.

Last edited:

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 15 JKU with a performance exhaust, then a Tundra with a performance exhaust. Now that I have a Gladiator, the one thing I will not change is the exhaust. Can't make a V-6 sound anything other than a wannabe V-8. I love my Jeep and if it had a V-8, I would have changed the exhaust right away. According to my wife, I am 12. I agree.
Sponsored