Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I posted a question about this on some thread a while ago, but wondering if anyone has attempted (without a tazer) to find a way, with a simple switch, to override the FAD so that one can have a 2-LO option.

There are several instances for me where 2 LO is awesome. I have put the teraflex 2 LO kit in my 06 TJ, and LOVE it. But the JT does not have such an option and being under warranty I don't want to open up the T-case.

But if there is a way to override the FAD, without causing problems, I would be interested in knowing. Most roads near me are drivable by 2wd - but sometimes there are situations with a super tight switchback that low range makes it much easier on the engine/trans - but having it in 4-LO puts significant pressure on axles due to high traction road surfaces... So currently I either have to accept the risk of snapping an axle in order to have low range, or hear the hard struggle of the engine/trans going up some really steep switchback in order to not risk snapping an axle. As I put more weight on my JT, this is becoming a bigger and bigger concern.
Sponsored

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
Not sure it's possible. If you put a physical switch to keep it from engaging I'm guessing the ecm wouldn't allow 4wd to engage. That's just speculation on my part thought.

I think there is an option for those that delete the fad to disable it in the ecm, but that requires a tazer or alphaobd, etc.

Not sure if that would allow 4lo either though. Shouldn't be too difficult for someone to test though.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
What's the issue with using the Tazer to delete the FAD? Seems like the easiest route with the least risk. Modern vehicles don't usually take kindly to basic switches being put in places where electronic control is being managed. There are elements of communication that need to take place, which is why the Tazer is such a great tool because it has all that programmed in.

Of course, that means no more 4wd. I guess a choice needs to be made there. If you're looking to enable/disable the FAD on-the-fly whenever you want, that's probably not possible or advisable. If you did manage to do that, I don't see how the Jeep wouldn't throw all sorts of codes and disable 4wd altogether.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
What's the issue with using the Tazer to delete the FAD? Seems like the easiest route with the least risk. Modern vehicles don't usually take kindly to basic switches being put in places where electronic control is being managed. There are elements of communication that need to take place, which is why the Tazer is such a great tool because it has all that programmed in.

Of course, that means no more 4wd. I guess a choice needs to be made there. If you're looking to enable/disable the FAD on-the-fly whenever you want, that's probably not possible or advisable. If you did manage to do that, I don't see how the Jeep wouldn't throw all sorts of codes and disable 4wd altogether.
Isn't 4wd mechanically activated and only the FAD is electronic? Or is the mechanical arm going into the T case from the drivers seat just fake?

I thought about the tazer but after seeing how many people are having problems with it I'm not sure I want to go that route to be honest...

Why do you say no more 4wd? I would like to think there is a way to just disable the FAD on the fly as desired, to keep a 2 lo option but still engage it for 4low and 4wd. I'm not looking to totally disable it. Just the option to not let it lock in so I can have a 2 lo option.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Maybe I'm asking too much of the system. 😅

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Need to find the power wire on the FAD. Then splice a switch into that wire. But can't guarantee it won't throw a code.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I thought about the tazer but after seeing how many people are having problems with it I'm not sure I want to go that route to be honest...
I’m not sure where you’ve heard that. The Tazer is quite a good product. And it does what you’re asking. Seems silly to write it off without even giving it a try.

As far as potential issues with 4wd, you should look up more information on what happens if the system detects a problem with the 4wd system. I have seen that there appear to be electronics in the process when it engages and if it thinks there’s a problem, it will tell you that it needs service and might not let you shift into 4wd anymore. I’ve seen a couple threads on here about people being unable to use 4wd until the dealer service is performed.

As far as my comment about choosing, that was really based around the Tazer. You either choose to tell it that the FAD is disconnected, or choose to tell it that it is connected. But you don’t get both. It’s meant to correct for those who do deletes, it’s not an on/off switch to flick while driving.

It’s one thing to do this switching while the vehicle isn’t running, like the Tazer does, but it’s some thing else to try to do it while it’s moving. It isn’t designed for that at all and will very likely cause problems. That’s why kits for the JK for 2Lo weren’t just some electronics change, it was actually a physical change.

You are totally free to try and figure it out though, and see what happens. But considering how concerned you are for your current warranty, I wouldn’t recommend it. The last thing you want to do is to try to trick the jeep in to doing some thing I can’t do and break something in the process.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I’m not sure where you’ve heard that. The Tazer is quite a good product. And it does what you’re asking. Seems silly to write it off without even giving it a try.

As far as potential issues with 4wd, you should look up more information on what happens if the system detects a problem with the 4wd system. I have seen that there appear to be electronics in the process when it engages and if it thinks there’s a problem, it will tell you that it needs service and might not let you shift into 4wd anymore. I’ve seen a couple threads on here about people being unable to use 4wd until the dealer service is performed.

As far as my comment about choosing, that was really based around the Yazer. You either choose to tell it that the FAD is disconnected, or choose to tell it that it is connected. But you don’t get both. It’s meant to correct for those who do deletes, it’s not an on/off switch to flick while driving.

It’s one thing to do this switching while the vehicle isn’t running, like the Tazer does, but it’s some thing else to try to do it while it’s moving. It isn’t designed for that at all and will very likely cause problems. That’s why kits for the JK for 2Lo weren’t just some electronics change, it was actually a physical change.
I didn't necessarily mean to suggest deactivating it or activating it while moving. More like, as I wish - but when stopped. Sorry for the confusion.

I'll look into the tazer again. I just have seen plenty of folks here on this forum having issues with it, and the last thing I want to do is screw up some module or the PCM.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
According to this diagram. The DTCM is expecting a locked/engaged signal and might throw a cel.

4C767361-BDED-44BD-B4CB-64D9DA45B758.jpeg

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
According to this diagram. The DTCM is expecting a locked/engaged signal and might throw a cel.

Jeep Gladiator FAD override 4C767361-BDED-44BD-B4CB-64D9DA45B758
Yeah I could but don't want to get into it that deep. Darn. Maybe have to rethink the Tazer idea. Thank for posting this :)

Sponsored

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
I didn't necessarily mean to suggest deactivating it or activating it while moving. More like, as I wish - but when stopped. Sorry for the confusion.

I'll look into the tazer again. I just have seen plenty of folks here on this forum having issues with it, and the last thing I want to do is screw up some module or the PCM.
For what it's worth I've never had any issues with my Tazer.

It's almost worth it just to have the license plate lights go out in reverse lol

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
For what it's worth I've never had any issues with my Tazer.

It's almost worth it just to have the license plate lights go out in reverse lol
I just worry with my brain and memory issues I would forget to unmarry and just pull that sucker right out before going to the dealer.

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
Well I can tell you I've forgotten at least once and I didn't hear anything from the dealership.

Not that I recommend that lol

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Well I can tell you I've forgotten at least once and I didn't hear anything from the dealership.

Not that I recommend that lol
I mean more like accidentally pulling it out of the jeep without disconnecting it….which i think will brick the pcm

does it allow you to have a 2LO option? So be in 4Lo but with the FAD disconnected?

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
I mean more like accidentally pulling it out of the jeep without disconnecting it….which i think will brick the pcm

does it allow you to have a 2LO option? So be in 4Lo but with the FAD disconnected?
You can pull from the vehicle without unmarrying it. That just resets everything to factory default and allows the tazer to be married to a different vehicle.

You would lose the live functions and the ability to change anything, but any previous changes (like tire size) should not be affected.

Here is the list of features:
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_tzr_jlm/#camera-kit

The only thing I see is the option to disable the fad for axle swaps.

You might be able to map that to a short cut, but I'm not sure if that would do what you want.

I would probably just give zautomotive a call, I'm sure they can tell you if that would work..
Sponsored