First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ Rubicon, 2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Jeep, Ram & Dodge are the only brands I care about in the entire lineup, so if this helps secure their financial stability then its a good move in my book. Hopefully this will allow them to be less risk adverse financially and open the doors to keep putting Hellcats and Hemis in their vehicles. If the bean counters start cracking down we will know about it as that 392 concept and almost any other big V8 concept will be squashed with small displacement turbo gassers.
Sponsored

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Well I guess we should get used to some Peugeot models sitting on the lots next to our Jeeps. Looks like they are planning on bringing them back to the US around 2026. Although they may stay on the Fiat lots instead but who knows what the future holds.

Nannook of the north

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport
All Jeep owners from the 80s and early 90s started getting ill hearing "Peugeot" mixed up with Jeep again. Ohhh the bad old days of the "puke oh" transmission comes to mind. Easy to rebuild transmission made that way because you would be doing it. 80s Jeep manual transmission. Not much behind that (pre) 231/242 T-case. What do I expect same as always change, if you want a American made by a Toyota... Who the hell would have thought that in the 80s and 90s much less the 70s then again if you said in the future people will be buying jugs of urine to put in the D.F. vehicles they wouldn't believe it.
The puke goat

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
The only problem that is see with all the consolidation going on is that we are losing some truly iconic brands and vehicles in the process. Pontiac and Buick for example before they merged or got acquired by GM. I think most modern cars and trucks look nearly identical these days. It is the main reason why I like the the Jeeps.
Pontiac was always part of GM. I believe GM actually evolved out of Buick. Buick is still here.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
There will be some nomenclature changes. Wheel wells will become Hairy Armpits. DEF will be white wine and Diesel to Port. Things get really cheesy after that.

Sponsored

JTSouthernYankee

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Blue Collar Balla!!
I agree BUT growing up in Detroit in the 50s and 60s I still like the "Motor City" nameplates
I grew up in Detroit too! Not those time lines though. Then when I turned 19, I got the F out of there. Never looked back.

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Pontiac was always part of GM. I believe GM actually evolved out of Buick. Buick is still here.
Gotcha, maybe bad selection with using Pontiac on brand but really pointing more toward one of the downsides of mergers and consolidations. I guess looking back down the Jeep lineage there was AMC and the line of cars they had along with the Jeeps like the Eagle which I always thought was pretty cool. Though the entire line of AMC cars were killed off shortly after that merger.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
(Wikipedia)

The Jeep make was produced through the decennies by the following car manufacturers:

Jeep Gladiator FCA gone history-of-jee

Gatorgladiatorcanuck

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator overland
Occupation
Surveyor / Fly fishing guide
Did Pontiac ever offer anything unique? Just rebadged chevy's I thought.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Did Pontiac ever offer anything unique? Just rebadged chevy's I thought.
I was curious, too, so I Wikied it. It's called th GM Companion program. This sums it up:
"General Motors pioneered the idea that consumers would aspire to buy up an automotive product ladder if a company met certain price points. As General Motors entered the 1920s, the product ladder started with the price-leading Chevrolet make, and then progressed in price, power and appointments to Oakland (later replaced by Pontiac), Oldsmobile, Buick, and ultimately to the luxury Cadillac marque."

edit: Somewhere I believe I read that it all started with Buick then Oakland very shortly after, which was later renamed Pontiac.

Sponsored

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
(Wikipedia)

The Jeep make was produced through the decennies by the following car manufacturers:

I take exception to the timeline a bit: our 1988 Wrangler was most definitely made by AMC in their Windsor plant - it was the last year for the AMC brand, not 1986 as the timeline shows.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Agree, they changed company names before they finished runs more than once. I think Jeep Is found as "Jeep" some times because of ownership transfer disputes. Hey, won't this current JT run have two different owners, something about FCA Peugot?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Agree, they changed company names before they finished runs more than once. I think Jeep Is found as "Jeep" some times because of ownership transfer disputes. Hey, won't this current JT run have two different owners, something about FCA Peugot?
At least mine was built and bought as an FCA product, before they became PooGoats... :like:

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
At least mine was built and bought as an FCA product, before they became PooGoats... :like:
brothers after a fashion, more than cousins. Unless they go changing transamissions :CWL::LOL::CWL::LOL:
Sponsored