First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
sales
Where do you all find new trails and roads to take your Jeeps? I had a wrangler for years and didn't utilize it enough. I recently joined the Jeep world again with a gladiator and want to explore more, both in my local area and taking trips specifically for going off road.Are there any good websites or apps for finding not just the main jeep parks but also hidden roads and trails?
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Where do you all find new trails and roads to take your Jeeps? I had a wrangler for years and didn't utilize it enough. I recently joined the Jeep world again with a gladiator and want to explore more, both in my local area and taking trips specifically for going off road.Are there any good websites or apps for finding not just the main jeep parks but also hidden roads and trails?
Look at Appalachianbyway.com and check it out. We just did the NC/TN route and probably 1/5 of the VA route. It was mostly scenic but in VA we started to get to some techical stuff but ran out of days. We did what we did in 5 days. LOTS of great scenery and being away from it all. I drove my JL and my brother drove my JK. He had so much fun he is buying a Gladiator tomorrow! We'll do the rest of the VA route at some point and also the VT/NH/ME route.

The route was perfectly marked, btw. We used Gaia and a Garmin Overlander. They both ran the GPX route extremely well.

F2iq0ws.png
pNGYBoe.jpg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I might also mention Windrock in TN, and I'm sure you've got some great places to explore in WV. Eglin AFB in FL has a neat trail that is littered with the remains of jets, helecopters, rockets, tanks, artillery, and even a dummy MIRV nuclear warhead. I haven't been there, but it is on my list, for sure.

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Look at Appalachianbyway.com and check it out. We just did the NC/TN route and probably 1/5 of the VA route. It was mostly scenic but in VA we started to get to some techical stuff but ran out of days. We did what we did in 5 days. LOTS of great scenery and being away from it all. I drove my JL and my brother drove my JK. He had so much fun he is buying a Gladiator tomorrow! We'll do the rest of the VA route at some point and also the VT/NH/ME route.

The route was perfectly marked, btw. We used Gaia and a Garmin Overlander. They both ran the GPX route extremely well.

Jeep Gladiator Finding new places to Jeep pNGYBoe
Do you see value in an iPad and the Garmin? I was ready to use Gaia as an excuse to buy the iPad Pro (with a blue tooth GPS receiver for redundancy)I have been wanting, then I saw the Garmin Overlander and was going to go that route instead, but the reviews have been pretty awful. Than again, its mostly people struggling with the interface, and Gaia is no gem in that regard either.

At this point, its one or the other for me. Probably not both, and I am waffling worse than a politician on the matter. I have the 8.4 radio, if that makes a difference.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you see value in an iPad and the Garmin? I was ready to use Gaia as an excuse to buy the iPad Pro (with a blue tooth GPS receiver for redundancy)I have been wanting, then I saw the Garmin Overlander and was going to go that route instead, but the reviews have been pretty awful. Than again, its mostly people struggling with the interface, and Gaia is no gem in that regard either.

At this point, its one or the other for me. Probably not both, and I am waffling worse than a politician on the matter. I have the 8.4 radio, if that makes a difference.
If you have an Apple Iphone (I have Android) Gaia's app works with Apple Carplay in your Youconnect, so you won't have to buy a thing. My brother ran it in my JK and it was flawless. He raved about it.

Sponsored

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I did 2400 miles of the Trans American Trail this summer, almost all of which was new terrain to me.

www.transamtrail.com

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I've found Fallout 76 an excellent way to find new locations in WV (yes, I'm kidding).

I bought OnX to get a better handle on some trail networks I'm already familiar with, but it has a pretty cool discovery mode as well. It works great on a Verizon iPad Mini 4, and despite VZW coverage is pretty good, the downloadable maps at 5 mile / 10 mile scale are GREAT.

Took us no time at all to go off the map near Sand Flats (above Shaver Lake CA) but the level of detail is pretty amazing. Worked great for Hollister Hills SVRA earlier this month.

Do the demo, don't rush into buying it, they should throw you a sweetener, a big discount for your first year.

I also run it on my Android, but screen size matters. I don't know I'd want a 10.2" iPad in front of me, while driving.

NGNERD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LE Gladiator Rubicon GCM

Can I ask how you downloaded this trail? I have GAIA (new to it) but not sure how to map this. Thanks for your help.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can I ask how you downloaded this trail? I have GAIA (new to it) but not sure how to map this. Thanks for your help.
Sure! I purchased and downloaded them from Appalachianbyway.com for $4 each and saved them in a folder on my Google Drive (or you could just save them on your computer's hard drive). I then uploaded them into my Garmin Explore account and then synced my Overlander and they were there. I also uploaded them to Gaia GPS app on my phone. If you use Gaia and you have an Iphone, it will work with Apple Car Play and show on your navigation screen. I have an Android, so I used it on my phone screen but primarily used the Garmin Overlander, as it has a 7" display.

Let me know if you need more info, but hopefully that helps.

Sponsored

DiabolicalDianoga

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Subaru Forester
Occupation
Admin
check out this site to find gravel roads in your area.

https://gravelmap.com/
Love Gravelmap.com. Found some fun, less traveled spots in CO using that. Great if you just want to go dirt road cruising. You do need to do some research though on some of the routes as it's a cycling focused site, so some of the routes may be off limits to motor vehicles.

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
20 JT, 15 JKU, 22 BMW 4, Challenger R/T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
I might also mention Windrock in TN, and I'm sure you've got some great places to explore in WV. Eglin AFB in FL has a neat trail that is littered with the remains of jets, helecopters, rockets, tanks, artillery, and even a dummy MIRV nuclear warhead. I haven't been there, but it is on my list, for sure.
Do you have any info on the Eglin AFB trail?

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
for the GAIA app to work through uconnect, do you have to have the 8.4? Also, how does it work if you do not have cell or GPS coverage in the area you are exploring?
Sponsored