First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
If I'm leaving the shackles on, I use a small adjustable wrench (always in the glovebox) just to tighten them enough to keep the casual thief honest. Tack-welding or even Loc-tite might be a bit much if you ever plan to go off road where you might need them....
Sponsored

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
My boss used to take one of his German Shepherds with him when he went on wrecker calls at night (sometimes during the day, too). No one ever bothered him or tried to get into the wrecker.
His dogs were as talented and nice and easy going - until he said the word or someone approached him with a hand raised.
Schutzhund Training..... In English it means Protection Dog and they're not kidding. Atticus is a mid level Schutzhund trained dog and will obey both voice (English and German) and hand commands. Actually, all he has to do is show himself and at 130 pounds, the trouble just walks away. Never had a bite, but his predicessors that we were honored enough to have in our lives DID. It wasn't pretty.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I get it....Loose parts have actually crossed my mind many times, but guess I think humankind is better than it actually is and weighed that versus the “cool factor”.

I’m more bent on the fact that someone messed with my stuff.
Some years ago, my wife bought me a brand new '85 Toyota SR5 4X4. Went on a 15 day fishing trip out of San Diego and when the boat got back to the landing, all that was left was a pile of window glass. The truck was found By Jack Murphy Stadium in the come as you are section of San Diego a month later. It had been used in a Robbery where they drove over a grocery clerk in a parking lot making their get away. When I saw it, they had stripped out most of the interior, spun off the oil filter and left it running parked at the curb to burn up the motor. As an added incentive to pay more in taxes, they crapped in the cab. Point is, I spent the next 25 years in Law Enforcement coming down very hard on every thief, especially car thief I came in contact with. I hate them.... that is why I have had.... Lucifer, Ivan, Negus, and now Atticus. There will be more Giant Schnauzers in my life, and I will see all those gone before me when the Good Lord Calls. But.... until that time comes, there's fresh meat out there, and it's stealing someone's shit.

.jpg

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Some years ago, my wife bought me a brand new '85 Toyota SR5 4X4. Went on a 15 day fishing trip out of San Diego and when the boat got back to the landing, all that was left was a pile of window glass. The truck was found By Jack Murphy Stadium in the come as you are section of San Diego a month later. It had been used in a Robbery where they drove over a grocery clerk in a parking lot making their get away. When I saw it, they had stripped out most of the interior, spun off the oil filter and left it running parked at the curb to burn up the motor. As an added incentive to pay more in taxes, they crapped in the cab. Point is, I spent the next 25 years in Law Enforcement coming down very hard on every thief, especially car thief I came in contact with. I hate them.... that is why I have had.... Lucifer, Ivan, Negus, and now Atticus. There will be more Giant Schnauzers in my life, and I will see all those gone before me when the Good Lord Calls. But.... until that time comes, there's fresh meat out there, and it's stealing someone's shit.

Jeep Gladiator First theft .. Crosby shackles
Similar to the question the other person asked about the handgun, surely you don't just leave your dog in your truck all the time, do you? If your truck is at the grocery store, and someone steals something while it's parked and you're inside, how does a guard dog or a handgun stop that? And what will your dog do if he's on the inside of the truck and someone steals something from the outside, like a shackle?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Schutzhund Training..... In English it means Protection Dog and they're not kidding. Atticus is a mid level Schutzhund trained dog and will obey both voice (English and German) and hand commands. Actually, all he has to do is show himself and at 130 pounds, the trouble just walks away. Never had a bite, but his predicessors that we were honored enough to have in our lives DID. It wasn't pretty.
Neill had two Shepherds - he trained them himself. I swear he loved those dogs as much as he loved many people. He took GREAT care of them. He showed us one day in the alley behind the shop. He had one of them in the wrecker. He had John, the service manager approach him with arm raised in a threatening manner. That dog jumped clear of the wrecker and landed several feet out and made a rush at John until Neill called him off. (I don't think he would have REALLY bitten John as John had cared for the dogs when the boss was gone - but still - I was shook watching.

They were fun dogs as well - they loved Frisbee but Neill would never let them jump high - he one time said something about some dogs getting intestines tangled on big twisting jumps and he'd just never do that. True or not, dunno, but he loved those dogs.
Heaven help anyone who "Bothered" Neill on a wrecker call at night.

I've seen videos of dogs trained in a language other than English - makes sense to me! It's like a secret code or a "lock".

Yeah, if I saw a dog like that keeping an eye on me, I'd not only behave, I'd make SURE I didn't even twitch a finger in a threatening way.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Hmmmmm...never really even thought of that. I check them regularly but we had been wheeling pretty hard in Flag and Sedona and could have bounced it loose.

Faith in humanity partially restored 😁......with a dab of blue or red.
I had one fall off on BW2CK, luckily i heard the clank as it hit the rocks

I just red locktite them

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A good tack weld, but then they would take the bumper.
You do realize that tac welding them defeats the whole purpose in having them, right??

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jeep-A-Kneez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel, 1995 YJ 4.0
You do realize that tac welding them defeats the whole purpose in having them, right??
Yes I do, and when not in use they should be packed away, my thinking. However, should one choose to leave them on their vehicle like jewelry, then a tack weld on the end of the threaded pin and the shackle it's self is a valid deterrent. Don't think most folks gonna be toting a grinder in their back pocket.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I do, and when not in use they should be packed away, my thinking. However, should one choose to leave them on their vehicle like jewelry, then a tack weld on the end of the threaded pin and the shackle it's self is a valid deterrent. Don't think most folks gonna be toting a grinder in their back pocket.
That makes total sense.

And yes. If you tack weld them in place, they become man jewelry.

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
Just wire them to your car battery. That will slow em’ down.

darksidedesign

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave in Gator
Occupation
Graphic Designer / Illustrator
Just wire them to your car battery. That will slow em’ down.
As a teenager, a friend of mine drove a Dodge Power Wagon. It had one of those cool ram hood ornaments.
Jeep Gladiator First theft .. Crosby shackles B6CC8A3D-A8A8-482D-91A8-B34A4B688DF9

After it was stolen a second time, he wired it to the battery. It was never stolen again.