Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I walked up on a guy taking my rear ones off on my JKU in a Walmart parking lot about 4yrs ago. He had one off and was working on the other and not even worrying about someone seeing him. I took 3 steps and kicked him square in the back of head with some steel toe sh*t kickers on. He ran off and after that I just cranked them down really well now so you need a tool to remove them. Haven't had any issues since but it definitely sucks when someone takes something from you, big or small. I hate thieves!
Sponsored

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
I’m a real trend boi, so I just drive around town with Bubba Rope and Factor55 soft shackles hanging from my bumpers.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Chances are that I would want to put a nylon strap end in the shackle, so I don't want them (semi)permanently mounted with loctite, etc.

CapnStereo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Sport S, 2021
Occupation
Instructor
Prime Rib? I marinate it in Italian Salad Dressing for 24 hours before the BBQ
12lb brisket. Smoked for 17hrs with lump Argentine charcoal, and local plumb wood. Salt, pepper, onion powder. Some Good!!! No frills, no marinate.

CapnStereo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Sport S, 2021
Occupation
Instructor
12lb brisket. Smoked for 17hrs with lump Argentine charcoal, and local plumb wood. Salt, pepper, onion powder. Some Good!!! No frills, no marinate.
Plum? or plume..don't know, but it was a very sweet smoke wood.

Sponsored

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
You a mall crawler?? .....Get that rig out on some real turf for crying out loud ..... 🤪🤪🤔😁

Jeep Gladiator First theft .. Crosby shackles 4143318E-9335-4010-908C-AB7CE2680472

Jeep Gladiator First theft .. Crosby shackles 4143318E-9335-4010-908C-AB7CE2680472

I’m no mall crawler. I’m just being silly. I just think it’s funny how soft shackles are all the rage now, like d rings are so passé or something. I have both, and like the OP I honestly thought about putting my Crosby’s on the bumper (they match the firecracker red!!!). For the exact reason of this post, they’re in my “Fubar” bag along with the rest of the recovery gear.

Btw, that is a bad a$$ rig! I’m envious. I’m still waiting for my 37 KM3s to get out of unavailability purgatory so I can finally install my lift. I’ve got 5 beadlock wheels sitting in my foyer. I guess they could go in my garage but I like to look at them….and dream.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I was going to say, every Clevis I've had since I can recall has a hole in the tab for a screwdriver and excessive torque. Haven't lost one in 20 years.
👍
Same thing I do, I don't remember when I've lost a shackle but cranking down on one with a 12 crescent wrench might be why. Some I have I replaced the original bolt with a graded bolt do to misplaced one.

OP
OP
AZCooWhip

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I’m no mall crawler. I’m just being silly. I just think it’s funny how soft shackles are all the rage now, like d rings are so passé or something. I have both, and like the OP I honestly thought about putting my Crosby’s on the bumper (they match the firecracker red!!!). For the exact reason of this post, they’re in my “Fubar” bag along with the rest of the recovery gear.

Btw, that is a bad a$$ rig! I’m envious. I’m still waiting for my 37 KM3s to get out of unavailability purgatory so I can finally install my lift. I’ve got 5 beadlock wheels sitting in my foyer. I guess they could go in my garage but I like to look at them….and dream.
I hear you ....I was poking as well. When I’m done having fun it’s time to hang it up.

Sounds like you have a great build in mind. Don’t you dare move them out of foyer. Keep the dream alive !! It will come soon enough ....THEN you can hang your Crosby’s with pride. 😁😁👍🏻🇺🇸

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
Wasn't the hole in the pin originally for a marlinspike?

Sponsored

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Similar to the question the other person asked about the handgun, surely you don't just leave your dog in your truck all the time, do you? If your truck is at the grocery store, and someone steals something while it's parked and you're inside, how does a guard dog or a handgun stop that? And what will your dog do if he's on the inside of the truck and someone steals something from the outside, like a shackle?
First of all, I'm not stupid so don't address me like I am. Where I go the dog goes so If I go into the store the Service Dog Goes too. Secondly, there is a passive tamper alarm on the truck to quietly notify me of intrusion into the vehicle or attempt theft if the dog and I are away from it. And lastly, as a retired LEO, where I go the handgun goes. One way or the other, someone screws with what's mine, and they are gonna have a bad day.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Looks tasty

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
First of all, I'm not stupid so don't address me like I am. Where I go the dog goes so If I go into the store the Service Dog Goes too. Secondly, there is a passive tamper alarm on the truck to quietly notify me of intrusion into the vehicle or attempt theft if the dog and I are away from it. And lastly, as a retired LEO, where I go the handgun goes. One way or the other, someone screws with what's mine, and they are gonna have a bad day.
It was not my intention to imply anything about your intelligence. My questions were genuine. I would not intentionally imply anything of the sort. If it came across that way, I apologize 100% sincerely. I'm not one to insult anyone I've never met. That's never my intention. I am very sorry that it came across that way, and can't emphasize that enough. Thank you for answering. I know tone and intention don't always come across through the Internet, but please accept my heartfelt apologies if anything I said came across the wrong way.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Just wire them to your car battery. That will slow em’ down.
Makes for a good joke and fun, but 12 volts ain't enough for even a tingle. I've dealt with auto electric for decades and that includes taking the hot wire off the back of alternators while leaning on the engine. Not even a tingle.
I can carry a battery by the terminals.

I know it's joking around but on the practical side in case someone is reading this and thinking - hey, good idea! No, it's not - you'd have to fully insulate the item from the truck's bumper and other parts. A hood ornament - you'd have to have rubber or cork between it and the hood, insulate the shanks of the screws and the screw heads from the hood.

Just saying - in case anyone takes it seriously and tries it - the only thing you'd fry is the wire you'd use to connect the battery to it as it would be a dead short to ground.
It won't hurt a person or even tingle - it's only 12 volts!

Like I say - I realize people are joking around, but just in case someone thinks it's serious and a car battery can zing you or it makes a good theft deterrent - sorry - no, it won't. Not enough voltage.
------------------------------------

Category: Physics Published: November 1, 2013

img_2190.jpg

The shock from a car battery will not harm you. Public Domain Image, source: Christopher S. Baird.
The shock from a car battery will not kill you. In fact, under normal conditions, a 12-volt car battery will not even shock you.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
It was not my intention to imply anything about your intelligence. My questions were genuine. I would not intentionally imply anything of the sort. If it came across that way, I apologize 100% sincerely. I'm not one to insult anyone I've never met. That's never my intention. I am very sorry that it came across that way, and can't emphasize that enough. Thank you for answering. I know tone and intention don't always come across through the Internet, but please accept my heartfelt apologies if anything I said came across the wrong way.
I as well, Thanks
Sponsored