Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Never mind the D rings,, what about that sweet Factor 55 out there for the taking.
When synthetic winch rope first came out. It was a hot item with the low lifes that roam the night. Happened to 2 of my friends at Moab and Choke Cherry.
Sponsored

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
Not sure if this has been suggested as I did not read all 8 pages but I installed 1/4x20 by 1/2 inch stainless set screws in mine to keep them from either walking off or vibrating off. Once installed I put 'China' stickers over the set screws to keep them clean and hide them further (they are on the back side of the shackle to begin with)

Jeep Gladiator First theft .. Crosby shackles shacklelock

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
Not sure if this has been suggested as I did not read all 8 pages but I installed 1/4x20 by 1/2 inch stainless set screws in mine to keep them from either walking off or vibrating off. Once installed I put 'China' stickers over the set screws to keep them clean and hide them further (they are on the back side of the shackle to begin with)

Jeep Gladiator First theft .. Crosby shackles shacklelock
Awesome idea, but just curious if it weakens the integrity of the shackle?

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
Possible. Probably less as they are drilled in the Y-axis. As these are 4.5-ton shackles, they have a 9000 lb WLL (Working Load Limit), but have a 'safety factor' of 4.5, so 40,500 lbs to failure. With that margin I feel comfortable. I'd be more concerned with my aftermarket bumper being mounted with their bolts in tension than these shackles in shear. Disclaimer - I am certainly NOT a mechanical engineer.

Sprinkler-Fitter

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Installed fire sprinklers (retired)

Sponsored

Sprinkler-Fitter

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Installed fire sprinklers (retired)
Easy Karen ! All in good fun.
Hey ass clown, I’m far from a Karen, I carry a Glock myself but I can’t see my jeep all the time maybe you’re just talking yourself up to make yourself sound good I don’t know.

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
Hey ass clown, I’m far from a Karen, I carry a Glock myself but I can’t see my jeep all the time maybe you’re just talking yourself up to make yourself sound good I don’t know.
As I said earlier in the thread.....

Jeep Gladiator First theft .. Crosby shackles lightenu

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
Update - I ran this by a mechanical engineer friend and he pointed out that the end of the shackle would have the least effect on the WLL.
Jeep Gladiator First theft .. Crosby shackles shacklelock2

And of course the smaller the set screw you use, the less effect on WLL. I chose 1/4 inch over 1/8 or 1/16 set screws which would have served the same function from the practical point of I was much less likely to bust a 1/4 tap over either one of those. You can quote me, "Busted taps su*k".

Sponsored

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
I did the bumpers on my TJ about 8 years ago. CM shackles on one end, Crosby on the other, can't remember which is which. Anyway, I tightened them with an adjustable wrench and a pipe to prevent theft. I never open them up, I just use soft shackles any time I need rigging.

Now I'm about to replace the rear bumper and I might need to get creative to get them back off.

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
Update - I ran this by a mechanical engineer friend and he pointed out that the end of the shackle would have the least effect on the WLL.
Jeep Gladiator First theft .. Crosby shackles shacklelock2

And of course the smaller the set screw you use, the less effect on WLL. I chose 1/4 inch over 1/8 or 1/16 set screws which would have served the same function from the practical point of I was much less likely to bust a 1/4 tap over either one of those. You can quote me, "Busted taps su*k".
Awesome. So you center punched, drilled, then tapped?
See any reason why you couldn’t go a little deeper and run some threads into the shaft?

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've always used a B.F. wrench to tighten shackles on, I've had maybe 2 ripped off in 23-24 years. But have had 3 or more 102 in steel whip antennas stolen. I'm really surprised I haven't had the chain and hook on front of my LJ ripped off, probably reminded thieves of work. :LOL:

See any reason why you couldn’t go a little deeper and run some threads into the shaft?
Not really needed to thread into the pin, unless you want to possibly boogger up threads on set screw. A good dimple for the tip of hardened set screw n good, same as a keyway with keystock does.

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (JTR)
PSA(sorry): Like some others have stated. Take them off.

It might look cooler driving around with them on but they do NOT look cool when they are bouncing down the freeway into someones windshield. I've seen it happen and its consequences. It might be an edge case, but I doubt you're doing a pre-flight checklist every time you get ready to drive your truck to make sure someone hasn't tampered with a loose bit of gear that's attached simply by hand (this includes bolted on, ratchet strapped on, etc. stuff as well).

If you must leave them on they will get stolen or tampered with, (it's just a matter of time), but at the very least zip tie the bolt to the shackle to keep it from coming loose enough to fall out. Also, you shouldn't ever tighten the bolt into a shackle full-stop because when you do want to remove it the force of a recovery, (which is the only time they should be on anyway), can tighten it down so much as to damage the threads or make it a sh** show to remove.

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
Correct. And @Blade1668 is spot on, no need to thread into the pin, as that will cause issues.
Blade1668 " Not really needed to thread into the pin, unless you want to possibly boogger up threads on set screw. A good dimple for the tip of hardened set screw n good, same as a keyway with keystock does"

Another option is like my Mercedes 1017AF truck's shackles, is the pins are long enough to put a cotter pin through. Of course, these came from the factory that way and were meant to be on full-time, so the shackle pin was made for that purpose. Most aftermarket pins are not long enough.

Jeep Gladiator First theft .. Crosby shackles 1017

Jeep Gladiator First theft .. Crosby shackles 1017B
Sponsored

Last edited: