Flat Towing Setup

RVcruzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 Wrangle Unlimited Rubicon
We flat tow our Jeeps behind a motorhome when traveling via a Blue Ox towbar. So, when we traded one of the JK Wrangler Rubicons in on a Gladiator I set about modifying it as well. Typically tow bars attach to a baseplate beneath the bumper that attaches to the frame but that's nut a grat location if you do any rock crawling because it can get damaged. So I installed a Rockhard front bumper. That gave me a sturdy off-road bumper as well as a low winch mounting location. I ordered Rockhard's tow tabs so that I could connect the Blue Ox towbar to the bumper, eliminating the need for a baseplate. I added shackle rings to attach the safety cables to, and drilled the bumper to accept the 6 prong towing light socket and air coupling nipple. I installed an M&G 2.0 auxiliary braking system, which connects to the motorhome with an air hose to operate the Jeep brakes when towing. I also bought a Mopar flat tow wiring harness kit for a JL (because they don't make one for the Gladiator yet) and modified it to operate the rear lights when towing. Now it's plug and play. I just drive up to the motorhome, connect the tow bar, back up a bit to set the locking arms, plug in the lights and air hose, put the transfer case into neutral and drive away.

IMG_6409_2400.jpg

IMG_6412_2400.jpg

IMG_6413_2400.jpg
Sponsored

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Looks great! Thank you for posting. I am currently flat towing a 2016 JK. I use Currie's tow bar mount/skid plate. My Blue Ox tow bar hooks right up to it, and I like that the mounts are lower than most shackle mount bumper points. Currently shopping for a Gladiator and will flat tow it a few times a year behind our motorhome. I've already bought a new Warn winch for the Gladiator I don't have yet! I think I will be looking at Rockhard winch bumpers with Blue Ox tow bar mounts.

KennyKustom

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Pics of the 2.0?
I removed the 1st gen mg braking system from my jk, and they say if wont fit. ( I may try)
I went with mg in the first place, because I didn't want anything attached to my pedal.

OP
OP
RVcruzer

RVcruzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pics of the 2.0?
I removed the 1st gen mg braking system from my jk, and they say if wont fit. ( I may try)
I went with mg in the first place, because I didn't want anything attached to my pedal.
I tried that too. I've installed 4 of those systems on Jeeps so far and they are the best around. But it won't fit. The JL and JT don't have enough room ahead of the master cylinder to move it forward to insert the M&G module. The ABS system is in the way. I thought about moving the ABS module over closer to the engine by fabbing a custom bracket but the master cylinder on the Gladiator has brake lines coming out the front at angle and it still won't clear.

But the 2.0 is a nice system and better than the Air Force One. The AF-1 has its cylinder right on the brake pedal where it's in the way of my size 13 boots. The M&G uses a smaller bracket that doesn't intrude. The fairly compact air cylinder mounts at the top of the firewall behind the engine's top cover so it is a clean setup. I can't send you the photos yet because I did a writeup for FMCA's Family RVing Magazine and they have first rights. But it is compact and M&G has done a few installs on the Gladiator so they can send you the instructions as a PDF, which shows some photos.

Like you, I has concerns about the brake pedal method but after installing it I'm good with the 2.0 system and consider it the next best choice if the original M&G won't fit. Far better than any other option.

SkyKing

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Hello RVcruzer,

I recently bought a 2020 Gladiator Overland. I also purchased the MOPAR flat tow harness, DEMCO baseplate, and the M&G 2.0 brake system.
Yesterday I installed the baseplate, all went well. Today I started installing the MOPAR flat tow harness. I started at the back and worked my way forward. I added six feet of wire to harness B to bring it into the engine compartment. I ran the harness along the main frame and grounded harness B to a frame crossmember near the rear axel.
The instructions must be incorrect for the harness fuse block A. Looking at the wires already installed in my fuse block, the instructions show different wire locations and in my case, would pair up the black/white wire with green. I’m assuming the wires remain the same color and size.

So... I’m assuming, to the new MOPAR connector installed at the front bumper, it will receive from the RV:
1) White with black stripe is the ground going to the Jeep
2) The black wire will get 12v from the RV
3) Brown is tail lights
4) Green is stop/blinker
5) Red is stop/blinker
6) Blue is not used on the Jeep.

So... I’m also assuming... when the Jeep flat tow harness gets 12v from the RV through the black wire, it will activate and cut out the Jeep’s normal lighting system.

I read on a aftermarket vender website that the MOPAR flat tow harness for the JL Wrangler will NOT work on a Gladiator...
Everything else I’ve read about the JL and JT is that they are identical except for the truck bed... I see no reason why the harness won’t work on the Gladiator.

I tried testing the harness, it didn’t work BUT, I didn’t hook up 12v to the black wire until I found your post again (I found your post before I bought the Gladiator and ordered the harness).

Any help or additional information will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RVcruzer

RVcruzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The harness will work. It works just fine on my Gladiator. Other than the need to lengthen it the only other issue was that the license plate light connector is different between the JT and JL. I just didn't connect that one.

The color coding is a bit different than what I was used to. I've attached my notes on what colors went where.

And yes, you do need to plug it in before the relays will switch over. The 12 vol;t constant feed on the black wire must be hot for that to happen. Ive seen where some motorhome manufacturers don't connect that pin. They usually leave the fuse out. Check to be sure that you have 12 volts on that pin on the RV before continuing. If you don't, check the fuse block to be sure it's not missing. There is usually a separate fuse for the towing lights so that any fault in them won't kill the vehicle lights.

Attachments

SkyKing

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tested the new harness, the license plate light doesn’t work with the tail lights. I hooked the harness plug to the left light so I’d have at least one light. They both work with the normal Jeep light system.

My RV is wired differently then what I’m assuming is normal. The brake lights are carried through the pigtail on the blue wire. This means it won’t energize the brake lights on the Jeep unless I find some type of a electronic adapter that will recognize the brake signal and split it to the turn signals. I still have work to do.

Thanks for posting the info. MOPAR should include it with the instructions.

OP
OP
RVcruzer

RVcruzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like all you have to do is relocate the 12 volt signal from the blue wire terminal to the black wire terminal on your RV's socket. That'll make it standard. That wouldn't be the first RV that was wired non-standard.:)

SkyKing

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The black wire does have a constant 12v applied. I guess what I’m missing is what triggers the Jeeps brake lights and allows the left or right turn signal to work while the brakes are applied.
Seems like I need some type of an adapter. I was reading about 3 wire to 2 wire converters. I need something that has separate brake and turn signal inputs and will turn on brakes only and allow one side to “blink” if the turn signal is also activated.
The coach has red brake/tail lights and separate amber turn signals.

OP
OP
RVcruzer

RVcruzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's the opposite of what is usually seen at the rear of the coach. Normally the left and right turn signals carry the brake light signal at the trailer light socket. I'm sure that the are signal combiners available at most auto parts stores or online that will add the brake light signal to the turn signals. That is something that would be placed on the motorhome just prior to the trailer light socket. I recall seeing them for cars with amber turn signals and was required when a trailer hitch was installed later on. But usually, OEM setups have the trailer light socket set up correctly for a standard 4-wire trailer lights (left-right-tail-ground) already.

Something lijke this - https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-119...577761080&sprefix=5+to+4+wire+,aps,195&sr=8-5

Sponsored

Hog1450

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland, Rubicon axles and suspension
I also have a Gladiator and want to flat tow it, would any of you ( RVcruzer ) mind posting a link to the Mopar harness you’re using? In my searches I’ve found a few choices and would really like to grab the right one... so I have your expertise to rely on!
Thanks in advance and thank you for the schematic!

OP
OP
RVcruzer

RVcruzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do a Google search for "Mopar 82215382". That's the part number of the flat towing harness for the JL. I found them at numerous places at various prices but the best price at that time was www.moparwholesaleparts.com

Attachments

Hog1450

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland, Rubicon axles and suspension

SkyKing

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a lift so it wasn’t horrible. I started at the back and worked my way forward until I got close to the right front wheel well. That’s where I cut the cable and spliced in approximately six feet of wire. I used snake skin to wrap the new wires and feed them up and into the right aft corner of the engine compartment.
Pay close attention to the wire colors of the harness. The fabricator didn’t have the proper wires in the fuse connector. verify your RV’s wire harness and match those up to the MOPAR harness. I used a seven pin female receptacle instead of the MOPAR harness end.
I also installed a battery charger since I installed the M&G Engineering brake system that utilized the Jeep’s vacuum pump for braking.
Sponsored