Sponsored

Fluids temperature norms

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
@ShadowsPapa

i agree, my temperatures- particularly in the morning when the OAT is in the upper 70’s are low.

however, I am seeing the fan kick on in the afternoon when OATs are above 100*.

There are two things I can control with this experiment- speed and weight.

I think I am noticing the fan come on - even when unloaded in afternoon high OATs. But before it comes on, I think I’m seeing oil temperatures around upper 230* (239*F to be specific) even though I’m not towing, not on an incline (overpasses shouldn’t count), and not traveling excessively fast.

you might say “so what.” Well, if the other gladiators that aren’t ecodiesel equipped seem to manage heat better, and the other vehicles that have the ecodiesel also manage heat better, what are the manufacturing differences? What are the commonalities?

the cooling thread has a new post about the ram and Maserati that have an oil cooler and larger radiators. I don’t think we can do anything about the radiator. But I want to know what the difference they have in shedding heat. Not in just they have larger radiator and dedicated oil cooler, but what effects do those parts have on cooling.

to start understanding that, we have to understand our own ability to shed heat.

The ecodiesel 3.0L and the 3.6L pentastar share the same single row radiator.

Ecodiesel has a much hotter running engine AND an intercooler that is heating the air up.

The issue for cooling is a lack of frontal area into the "cooling stack".
Sponsored

Knox

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
@ShadowsPapa

i agree, my temperatures- particularly in the morning when the OAT is in the upper 70’s are low.

however, I am seeing the fan kick on in the afternoon when OATs are above 100*.

There are two things I can control with this experiment- speed and weight.

I think I am noticing the fan come on - even when unloaded in afternoon high OATs. But before it comes on, I think I’m seeing oil temperatures around upper 230* (239*F to be specific) even though I’m not towing, not on an incline (overpasses shouldn’t count), and not traveling excessively fast.

you might say “so what.” Well, if the other gladiators that aren’t ecodiesel equipped seem to manage heat better, and the other vehicles that have the ecodiesel also manage heat better, what are the manufacturing differences? What are the commonalities?

the cooling thread has a new post about the ram and Maserati that have an oil cooler and larger radiators. I don’t think we can do anything about the radiator. But I want to know what the difference they have in shedding heat. Not in just they have larger radiator and dedicated oil cooler, but what effects do those parts have on cooling.

to start understanding that, we have to understand our own ability to shed heat.
Seeing OAT Makes me think you may be in my industry. I am a commissioning engineer. You?

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Seeing OAT Makes me think you may be in my industry. I am a commissioning engineer. You?
Commissioning engineer of what?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I always associated that term with the construction industry.
Me too. I help commission a power plant. That was 7 days a week and work 16 hour days for 2 months. Fun times. Get to push equipment past their limits. If it broke, it was under warranty. LOL

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator Fluids temperature norms Screenshot 2024-02-11 164359

Jeep Gladiator Fluids temperature norms Screenshot 2024-02-11 162956

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You like digging. I have a job for you.

Jeep Gladiator Fluids temperature norms Grave Digger
People get all freaked out when they can see numbers instead of a gauge with green and red, and they listen to the fear mongering about what's too hot and what's best.
They have no idea that for decades, engine temperatures have been running in the 220 range with oil in that range as well. This is a thread on normal fluid temperatures, so maybe some facts instead of fear mongering and "I don't like it that high" without and facts behind them.

I have the facts.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator Fluids temperature norms Screenshot 2024-02-11 163435

ideal oil temperatures to avoid acid built-up, to remove moisture and fuel contamination.
Ideal seems to be around 100 (C) and is fine clear up to 120 (C) and up to about 130 (C)
That translates to oil temperatures of 200-230 being ideal.
More than that, you need to keep the temperatures up for a period of time. Getting it up to 100 for 2 minutes then parking it isn't going to help the oil or engine any.
Anyone with a 4xe is familiar with FORM - too bad they can't force that on a gasser - the things would last a heck of a lot longer if you were forced to get the oil hot and keep it there for a few minutes.
Short drives and low oil temperatures suck. They kill engines, build up acids and sludge.

Jeep Gladiator Fluids temperature norms Screenshot 2024-02-11 163714
Sponsored