Sponsored

Forged V6 internals

Would you be interested in Forged internals?

• Total voters

bullitt5897

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Hey Everyone, I come from the import industry and I have connections with several manufacturers. I can send off to have aftermarket rods and pistons made for our motors. This would be a huge upgrade for the FI members of the community. Significantly cheaper than a V8 swap and the ability to make more power for the same $$$.

Right now I have already talked to a few manufacturers and they can make the rods and pistons. Retail we would be looking at somewhere in the $1500-$1800 range for rods and pistons. assembling your short short block would be ~$1000 or less. outside of the pulling of the motor and reinstalling. All in you would be looking at about ~$5k. That forged internals would then give you the ability to push the V6 up past 600whp without issue. another option I have at my disposal is to convert the block to a closed deck. this would provide a more stable cylinder wall and protect the head gasket.

So how many people would be interested? If you have questions I should be able to answer them.

Right now I am looking at just doing an OEM replacement but if people want a lower compression piston that can be arranged. This would allow for more flexibility in fuel options. i.e.89/91octane in a boosted application.
Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
My plan is to eventually buy a long block and do this. I am not sure what the internals currently are on the 3.6. i am under the impression the rods and crank are pretty good stuff. I think the big thing is closing off the deck and oil cooling. That turbo company makes a deck close off plate I believe. I have been working on some supercharger tunes for a while now. More and more I find myself having to make responsible decisions and turn it back down, as I figure out how to dial it in just right. This engine gets extremely happy around 13 psi and a bit more, but I think that is a bit much for daily driving, without the mods you talk about.

Last edited:

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I know not much, but I like machinery. The term "open deck" is new to me, so I used my google fu to learn. I found that the rods in the stock engine are forged.

3.6L Pentastar Engine | Dodge Challenger Forum

"An open deck, as the name suggests, is pretty much fully open between the cylinders and the engine block walls. Open deck designs have the coolant channel cast into the top of the deck. This design improves cooling and reduces hot spots in the cylinder but provides much less strength and rigidity at the top of the cylinder. "

Jeep Gladiator Forged V6 internals 1610628442228

Lexx

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Occupation
retired
Even with forged internals how would the rest of the drivetrain handle that much power? Sounds like it would be preferable to buy a used vehicle and then work over the motor and drivetrain since you'd be doing that anyway. Save a few bucks that way.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a fair bit of data at this point. The transmission can hold a fair bit of torque in the slower gears. It also has slip detection and heat derate. In 1-5th gear I have not bumped into any of the protect features. Where the transmission actually struggles is heavy load in higher gears, so wanting to go down the. Interstate in 8th gear and running light throttle in high gears. As long as your generating rpm and the pump is spinning it has plenty of clutch hilding power. The transfer case and axles are as good as anything you find on most half tons these days. It may be a little more vunerable if your a rock crawler. I am pretty confident with forged internals, I could safely tune the drivetrain to operate around the 500 hp mark reliably. It would have plenty of creeping torque, and be a hoot off the line.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bullitt5897

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Tomorrow I am purchasing a rod/piston combo. I will be sending the corresponding pieces off to have them produced forged and ready for boost.

OP
OP

bullitt5897

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Parts Purchased and should be here some time middle of next week.

dakota.morgan91

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(ordered) 2021 Gladiator Willys
Watching this thread with a lot of interest! Supercharging or turbo is 100% in the future of my truck! I have grown up dreaming of building a vehicle from the ground up.

OP
OP

bullitt5897

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Already Talked with Hamburger about getting them a set of rods and pistons to throw in a block and put their kit on it and see how much it can make on the engine dyno... maybe even on a bigger supercharger and really stretch it.

OP
OP

bullitt5897

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Update: PArts will be here on saturday. I will take measurements then ship back out for forged parts to be made.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bullitt5897

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
This just came in. Finishing up measurements and then shipping out Monday for scanning and forged components to be made ;) who is ready for some boost?
Jeep Gladiator Forged V6 internals 2AACCAE9-FBE9-455A-A65B-8578C8FA1AB6

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This just came in. Finishing up measurements and then shipping out Monday for scanning and forged components to be made ;) who is ready for some boost?
Jeep Gladiator Forged V6 internals 2AACCAE9-FBE9-455A-A65B-8578C8FA1AB6
How much boost you plan on pushing? I do 13 psi on a limited basis with stock internals and conservative timing

dakota.morgan91

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(ordered) 2021 Gladiator Willys
How much boost you plan on pushing? I do 13 psi on a limited basis with stock internals and conservative timing
Thats a good amount of boost on a 3.6! What are you seeing for power figures at the wheels? And fuel economy?

Watching this thread and dreaming!

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually use that when accelerating through the gears part throttle to give that part throttle boost like a v8. I hace been on the dyno but I purposely did not do power runs lol!

OP
OP

bullitt5897

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Already talked with hamburger about running a larger trim rotrex “c38r-112 trim” unit. This would put us in mildly modded hellcat territory without the $$$$ associated with that. I would have to look at the compressor map of the unit to see where that would put us boost wise. But I suspect somewhere around 15-18psi.
Sponsored