Sponsored

Frame bent: New Chevy Colorado ZR2 broken like a pencil ✏️

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
gotcha. Its interesting your comparing it to a 1980’s truck. I am coming from a 1997 F350 which was terrible until I dropped 20K into the suspension, and the JT still rides way better I think. Its even more comfortable that my dads new Ranger or our gov work trucks which are 1500 series. But ride quality is so subjective and different for everyone. Internal bias is also a factor too where those maybe after a particular use might inherently overlook or not worry about other downfalls that could be a priority item of another person. What direction are you leaning to?
I was mainly relating the JT suspension design and handling similarities (live front axle) to that '85 Silverado. Otherwise, that old Chevy rode like a lumber wagon!

Really, the JT does many things well. And yes, opinions are subjective. Every driver expects different things from their truck. This is the first real Jeep I have owned other than a couple SUV's. I did lots of research (as I always do) before ordering this one and was aware of what these are about. Everything has met my expectations.

Because I'm a Mopar guy, first considerations in the mid-sized segment will be given to Ram if they ever get a new ICE Dakota into production as they have been talking about for years. They claim that news is soon to come. I came from a 2020 Ram Laramie 1500 that was a heavenly driving experience. Just too large for my daily driving these days and my lease expired. If STLA can get the Dakota right it could be good, maybe as good as the 1500 (minus the towing capacities).

Secondly, I really like the all-new GMC Canyon. Considering the AT4x. Hope that GM can finally dial in the QC. But need to see how a year's worth of real-world reliability and powertrain reviews land. Not sure about the twin turbo 4 cyl.

New Tacoma coming this fall for '24. Possibly a third gen '24 Ridgeline that can actually compete in the segment as well. Not much news out there as of yet.

Won't consider a Ranger. Never been a Ford guy. Especially now that people I know have been waiting over a year to get theirs. Not me.
Sponsored

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
I must admit i have never test driven a ridgeline, or even sat in one. I'm not one of those who thinks it's "not a truck" either. It's a truck just fine. Just not one I'd want.
My father-in-law has one of the current-gen ones. It was on my list of vehicles to consider until I got some seat time in it. I absolutely cannot get comfortable enough in the driver's seat for long drives. The seat doesn't slide back far enough for me.

And also, it is just so, so boring. It is comfortable, quiet, fuel efficient, and completely dull.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I was mainly relating the JT suspension design and handling similarities (live front axle) to that '85 Silverado. Otherwise, that old Chevy rode like a lumber wagon!

Really, the JT does many things well. And yes, opinions are subjective. Every driver expects different things from their truck. This is the first real Jeep I have owned other than a couple SUV's. I did lots of research (as I always do) before ordering this one and was aware of what these are about. Everything has met my expectations.

Because I'm a Mopar guy, first considerations in the mid-sized segment will be given to Ram if they ever get a new ICE Dakota into production as they have been talking about for years. They claim that news is soon to come. I came from a 2020 Ram Laramie 1500 that was a heavenly driving experience. Just too large for my daily driving these days and my lease expired. If STLA can get the Dakota right it could be good, maybe as good as the 1500 (minus the towing capacities).

Secondly, I really like the all-new GMC Canyon. Considering the AT4x. Hope that GM can finally dial in the QC. But need to see how a year's worth of real-world reliability and powertrain reviews land. Not sure about the twin turbo 4 cyl.

New Tacoma coming this fall for '24. Possibly a third gen '24 Ridgeline that can actually compete in the segment as well. Not much news out there as of yet.

Won't consider a Ranger. Never been a Ford guy. Especially now that people I know have been waiting over a year to get theirs. Not me.
Ahh yeah all that makes sense. My particular region has a lot of 1500Ram gov vehicles and theyre pretty good. We beat on them hard and they just keep going. and they do ride well but when maxed out on weight its kinda dangerous. I agree with them being wide and enjoy the JT for that.

My dad has a ranger and he loves it. It rides perfect, for him. I dislike it though because the egernomics inside are too big. Im short, so the JT is a perfect fit size wise for me. And the Ranger is like sitting in a giant’s chair so its uncomfortable and sloppy. But. Were all different. The big concern there is they mounted the alternator so darn low, terrible idea.

It would be cool to see thr Dakota come back. We have one leftt as a gov Rig and ai grab it every chance I get because its smaller and more nimble than the 1500’s

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
lol no. there is nothing 'cued' from the Gladiator. That's a baby Chevy through and through.
Look for yourself! Trail cam, 33” tires w/bead lock capability. Tailgate configuration, bed rail system and lockers on both axles.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And it's still on my short list of replacements for my Gladiator, should I ever need one :LOL:

For a thousand dollars more than the sticker price for my Max Tow Sport I'd get a loaded to the hills ZR2 with considerably more horsepower and torque? Looking forward to seeing one in person.
If the convertible and doors off part of a jeep isn't a factor, then there are far better vehicles for most people.

Sponsored

ericnewcom

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR MT
Back seat of the Ridgeline is better than ours

Yeah, but that 10 speed is known crap. That's like saying you don't like flying if you've only ever been on Spirit.
I have driven the 8 speed rams HD and 1500 rams. They're better for sure but to me even the best auto is a polished turd at best.

Just my preference. I don't like how autos behave I don't like that there are times when you mash the gas and its like they're having an argument with themselves before selecting a gear to jump down to and other times it grabs a gear and scoots. I don't want to feel like I'm playing a dice rolling game of which result I'll get each time. I know every time what is going to happen in a manual. I know at x mph which gear I want to shift to to get the desired acceleration I'm after.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
If the convertible and doors off part of a jeep isn't a factor, then there are far better vehicles for most people.
I couldn't give 2 Ess's about the top and doors. (Your opinion may vary). The ONLY thing keeping me in a gladiator is the solid front axle. I've heavily considered a power wagon, but it's so big that a lot of my rock trails would be undoable without significant body damage. Plus, for that platform I'd need 40s to make the dimensions work.

The Bronco is showing the improvements to IFS that are being made, while at the same time serving as a reminder of why a solid axle is superior for what -I- am doing. Right now, the gladiator wheels perfectly on 37s, the lift, and regear I did myself. I know I can fix it on the trail, and I have. But I'll say, when I hop in my wife's Cherokee, that daily smoothness would be nice. The gladiator is a jarring, wandering, slow, harsh animal. But every single time I hit the rocks, I thank the heavens I picked it. So capable, hauls all my gear, the kids love it.

Love/hate relationship!

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Look for yourself! Trail cam, 33” tires w/bead lock capability. Tailgate configuration, bed rail system and lockers on both axles.

I haven't seen that video. The desert boss, minus the rail, looks really, really tempting. Definitely going to test drive one, along with the Ranger Raptor.

Edit-- I build a ZR2 on the site for 50k flat, with a fair amount of features. Not bad at all.

Last edited:

Klicht87

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Veteran/DoD Program Analyst
What comforts are you missing?? The JT has everything. Heated seats, heated sterering, heated mirrors, good headlights, good seating, great sound system.. Most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned anyway. Not to mention all the capabilities.
Mine has the heated seats and steering wheel. I have the 7" stereo with the crappy speakers. I find the seats uncomfortable on long car rides. I will say I came from a Ram Laramie with air ride but switched because I got the Jeep itch. My wife has a JL so I knew what I was getting into but didn't think it would be that big of a deal. It's cool to take the top and doors off but in all honesty I don't think they are worth what they sell them for.

Just my opinion...

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I couldn't give 2 Ess's about the top and doors. (Your opinion may vary). The ONLY thing keeping me in a gladiator is the solid front axle. I've heavily considered a power wagon, but it's so big that a lot of my rock trails would be undoable without significant body damage. Plus, for that platform I'd need 40s to make the dimensions work.

The Bronco is showing the improvements to IFS that are being made, while at the same time serving as a reminder of why a solid axle is superior for what -I- am doing. Right now, the gladiator wheels perfectly on 37s, the lift, and regear I did myself. I know I can fix it on the trail, and I have. But I'll say, when I hop in my wife's Cherokee, that daily smoothness would be nice. The gladiator is a jarring, wandering, slow, harsh animal. But every single time I hit the rocks, I thank the heavens I picked it. So capable, hauls all my gear, the kids love it.

Love/hate relationship!
I said "most people".

The vast majority of Gladiator buyers don't buy it because it's a solid front axle. That group is going to be disproportionately represented in this forum.
Sponsored