Freedom Top Heat

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
I'm sure I could Google the answer to this question, but what fun would that be?

Do the dark colors of the hard top (black, e.g.) make the interior appreciatively hotter than lighter colors (white, tan, etc)? Assuming headliners on both.
Sponsored

Kredit

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 rubicon. 2018 track hawk 2015 f150 King ranch
A dark interior color will heat up faster than a light color. Living in Arizona we know one thing, after time all colors will reach the same temp it’s just how fast it gets there.

OP
OP

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My question refers to the color of the top, not the color of the interior.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
I'm sure I could Google the answer to this question, but what fun would that be?

Do the dark colors of the hard top (black, e.g.) make the interior appreciatively hotter than lighter colors (white, tan, etc)? Assuming headliners on both.
YES!!!!! There is a paint that I would apply to customers Jeeps with hardtops when I lived out in Scottsdale Az where they just don't know heat, but OWN IT!

NOTE: I did apply this on some customers softops and got good results and never had a customer come back unhappy.

NOT CHEAP, MSRP $169 for 5 gal. I had a shop, so I bought the 5 gal and ended using it all on Jeeps...

Since Jeeps sit high, you apply it directly on top and you cannot even see it from the sides. Does it work?

"
280DC Premium White Roof Coating
Henry® 280DC White Roof Coating Title 24 is a premium, water-based acrylic latex coating. It reduces surface temperature and penetration of the sun's rays to the roof surface, which helps reduce roof and interior temperatures as well as energy costs. When properly applied, it is highly resistant to disbonding, chalking, mildew, fungi, and discoloration.

Features
  • Reflects up to 88% of sun's heat and U.V.; prolongs roof life
https://henry.com/retail/white-roof-coatings/280dc-premium-white-roof-coating

OP
OP

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hadn't thought about something like that. Interesting. Was thinking more along the lines of trying to purchase a body-color top for a Sport S.

Sponsored

Kredit

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 rubicon. 2018 track hawk 2015 f150 King ranch
According to studies in Arizona they found the interior color of a vehicle has more impact on temperature rise than the exterior

OP
OP

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
Here's my personal experience having owned a JK with a black top and a body colored hard top as well as a JL with a body colored hard top. I couldn't tell any difference in interior heat and I live in sunny Florida. Now I can tell you that the black premium soft top makes the interior much warmer than the hard top does during our warmer months.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
The freedom top is composed of basically hollow panels, the color of the top will effect speed of temp rise to a degree but its the dead air void space that'd going to really retard heat transfer.

Baking in the sun with light entering the greenhouse is going to do more to heat your interior that physical thermal transfer through the top.

If I was super bothered by my top heat soaking my interior I'd do what the land rovers did forever which was paint the roof white but they were also a single sheet of metal between the sun and you.

The Henry coating Ol'Cowboy mentions is a solution if you are dealing with a serious heat transfer issue, say you are using your vehicle to transport lab samples or organs etc and need it to remain cool at all times in all conditions but that's your call.

Body color versus standard chassis black I don't think is going to show all that much of a differential to bother worrying about it.
Sponsored