Sponsored

Freeway Travel with Doors off

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I will look and see. I do not have the fancy Rubicon sized screen I have the in between.
Stereo is on the list of upgrades.

Do you have the "speed adjust volume" option turned on in the stereo? Having that at 2 or 3 really boosts the audio.
Sponsored

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Ok, so like several people said, ear plugs and good mirrors are definitely the way to go. I will say however, under no circumstances should you lock your console or glove box, that's juts inviting damage to your truck. Those are plastic and can easily be defeated by anyone passing by with anything they can use to wedge in there and pry or just pulling hard enough with their hands.

When I've got my doors and/or roof off I have things either locked in my console vault or back behind the rear seats. The storage behind the rear seat is nice because that will be 1 hell of a job to get in there if you lock the seat to the anchor. I have all my truck's documents/insurance back there along with a battery jumper. I keep other small electronics and my gun if I can't take it in with me somewhere stored in my vault in my console. I'd suggest at night taking everything out of the vault and leaving it unlocked too. No real reason to give someone the impression that there's something worth stealing.

Someone said use foam earplugs instead of reusable but I use a reusable pair that someone else on here recommended a few years ago and they work great. Never any whistling and they fit great. They come in a little aluminum tube that is water/dust proof so they stay as clean as you put them away. Also, something a bit odd, I've noticed I can hear my music when I'm wearing these too, even at 60MPH at around 15-20 volume.

My Tuffy console vault:
https://www.amazon.com/Tuffy-348-01-Console-Insert-2018-Current/dp/B07D5H8Y13/ref=sr_1_2?crid=7YYI0QMTZIR3&keywords=tuffy+console+vault&pd_rd_r=989da353-ae7d-44cd-87ce-5bf187669365&pd_rd_w=Q15LR&pd_rd_wg=yeadv&pf_rd_p=d3f43d11-fd5a-4179-8b1e-1a03d11e07f4&pf_rd_r=FRMW470773BJP6346X67&pid=hebLn4J&qid=1652182853&sprefix=tuffy+console+vault,aps,65&sr=1-2&vehicle=2022-42-356------------&vehicleName=2022+Jeep+Wrangler

My Lange Coyote mirrors (I love these things, rock solid and stable):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085Z3699Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My earplugs:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K18KSNA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
How are the mirrors. I have the Jpeggs and while they are solid but driving on the freeway with them makes it a bit difficult to actually see what is going on behind me. Guess its because they are the round convex mirrors. I'll have to check out the earplugs
When I have doors off I don't keep much in the truck. Most anything is in the console vault also or behind the seat locked

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
How are the mirrors. I have the Jpeggs and while they are solid but driving on the freeway with them makes it a bit difficult to actually see what is going on behind me. Guess its because they are the round convex mirrors. I'll have to check out the earplugs
When I have doors off I don't keep much in the truck. Most anything is in the console vault also or behind the seat locked
Convex mirrors are amazing for blind spot. i can see what's right next to me in my peripherals and my Lange Coyotes at the same time. literally zero blindspot. But, they're not great for perspective and determining distance on vehicles not in your blindspot. It requires some getting used to no doubt.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I typically only drive the TJ without doors/sides, but leave the top on safari style. I have driven the JT a few times fully naked, and it is a bit breezy, definitely loud! I have to agree that it seems less loud fully naked than with just the freedom tops out.

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
with my LJ, I found that wearing yellow tinted safety glasses at night helped with the wind and a little with night vision.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Convex mirrors are amazing for blind spot. i can see what's right next to me in my peripherals and my Lange Coyotes at the same time. literally zero blindspot. But, they're not great for perspective and determining distance on vehicles not in your blindspot. It requires some getting used to no doubt.
Yes no issues with what is on the side, etc. Pretty much as you said they are not that great for the distance, etc. I've been driving with these Jpeggs for about a year now when I have the doors off. Usually not a big deal but was not the most comfortable thing driving into the office today on the freeway.

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
How does yellow tint help with wind?
It doesn't, but the wrap around glasses help with the wind. I wear yellow tint safety glasses at work. It cuts a little glare from lights and helps me a little seeing into shadows over clear glasses.

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Rubi Sarge Green; '08 JK
Occupation
Military
TDY in NC currently, took my doors off for the first time and did 2-1/2 highway hours down to the beach last weekend and back. Had a grin on my face the whole way. If it wasn't for the threat of rain I'd leave them off all summer. And I do have a RG cover, but hell that takes longer to put on than the doors do. No issues hearing the stereo or nav, wind is a little loud. The crosswinds at 75mph are hat-removing.

Sponsored

JAVIERGONZO

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Navy
A lovely experience.

The only thing I change is I carry my full size SIG and I slap it right in the cup holder just incase people believe in open door policies and get to confident.

Last edited:

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
Just like @Rahkmalla said, they are great for seeing everything but due to their convex nature distance is a bit to get used to. They are very stable though, even at highway speeds they don't fold in or anything.

Keep in mind that they will vibrate, no getting around that. Also, they come with 2 ways to secure it to the mount. 1 are a couple of thumb screws, I use those for areas I trust or if I think I'll wanna take them off sooner. The other requires an Allen wrench and is by far more secure.

I was hesitant at spending 'so much' on mirrors and got a cheap set from Amazon that folded like paper at anything past about 20MPH. While they kept me technically legal, they weren't useful. I keep the mounts on my JT permanently now and just pop the mirrors on when I want them. Really can't recommend them enough.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
A lovely experience.

The only thing I change is I carry my full size SIG and I slap it right in the cup holder just incase people believe in open door policies and get to confident.
Right there with you, exact spot. Beretta PX4 Compact & extra mag ;)

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S

Tecao

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator Rubicon Sarge Green
I drive down highway at 70 for about 50 miles both ways is an awesome feeling! Especially when you get the wind blowing through your beard! Haha it is super noisy tho....turn volume adjust up and music is good 👍
Sponsored