Sponsored

Freeway Travel with Doors off

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
That's the problem - it's not. I have to turn it up to hear it. If it's at 8 when driving our rural roads and then I hit the highway, I have to run it up to 10 or 12 to hear it the same.
There's a long exit ramp I take to get home from towns north of me - I use that to judge as you slow from 65-70 down to about 10-15 to make the turn at the bottom of the exit.
Maybe part of the problem is that unlike other vehicles, the noise in these increases exponentially as speed increases. The chevy you couldn't tell it was "louder" - you knew it was working because on the highway you could still hear the radio without touching the buttons. Jeep - I have to turn it up.
Get it looked at?
Sponsored

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
People have lost their minds. I was cut off by two people yesterday and flipped off by both...:clap:
One time coming back from a run I had a tailgater that pulled up next to me. When I looked over casually...(I am a situational awareness person) he lost his mind.
Started threatening me and swearing. He told me all about what he was going to do to me and how I preferred the company of men and all sorts of delightful things.
I'm in a naked Jeep. So I did not reach for the 1911, I pulled out my phone and started filming him.. This freaked him out and he left. I figured if he did exit his vehicle and climb in mine to assault me, I would have some good video evidence for the police post encounter.
Problem solved at the lowest level. :like:
My pistol is mounted to the left of my leg and quite visible when the doors are off. I make sure to adjust my leg in these situations to increase its visibility. Given that it is not unholstered and inside a private vehicle in Florida this does not violate any brandishing laws. It's similar to when someone sees my pistol in the small of my back while riding a motorcycle.... "accidental" flashing of the weapon is not the same as brandishing.

skindata

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Assembly Technician
My pistol is mounted to the left of my leg and quite visible when the doors are off. I make sure to adjust my leg in these situations to increase its visibility. Given that it is not unholstered and inside a private vehicle in Florida this does not violate any brandishing laws. It's similar to when someone sees my pistol in the small of my back while riding a motorcycle.... "accidental" flashing of the weapon is not the same as brandishing.
What about running a holster to the back of the Molle seat panel? Has anyone tried this yet?

JoeInOh

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Model 3 & 2022 Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter/paramedic
Just stripped the doors last night for the week, I do 20miles each way on I40 east of Little Rock.

-Anything below 75 degrees F will freeze you after 20m or so; wind breakers make a big difference.

All in all, keep in mind.... its probably still safer than a motorcycle, but an 18wheeler tire blowing out next to you can now be a problem you've never had to think about before.
Top and doors off is the closest thing you can get to a motorcycle- it will get you feeling a little "exposed".

You southern guys are killing me with the it "gets a little chilly..."
Jeep Gladiator Freeway Travel with Doors off 20220212_105829

If the roads are clear, it's riding weather!

Last edited:

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
As someone who rides, I'll admit it still was a little weird the first time with the doors off just in town for that matter.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
As someone who rides, I'll admit it still was a little weird the first time with the doors off just in town for that matter.
I rode a Yamaha 750 Maxim for years - commuted with it, whatever, and it's still "strange" first time with top and doors off with the JT.
The wind is a lot different. Feels more of a cross-wind in the truck than I ever felt with the bike.
Sponsored