Sponsored

Front diff gear oil

• Thread starter Deleted member 30519
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Deleted member 30519

So I've started a couple of threads about this but didn't really get much of a response so I'll try again. I got 5:13 gears installed in August and got the rear diff fluid changed after 500 miles but was advised by the mechanic that I could wait to get the front changed if I'm not going to be using the four-wheel drive much. Since then we've had a couple of bad hurricanes and a couple of bad storms so I've used it a little more than I thought maybe around 125 miles in four-wheel drive. My question is should I wait now with the winter here in New York or should I just go ahead and finally get it changed now? Thanks
Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
if it makes you feel better change it. 1/2 hour of time and 25 bucks of oil, your call.

So I don't get roasted, you should pop the cover after you drain it and wipe out the bottom of the diff.

The dif cover gasket is reusable.

Last edited:

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I have no real experience here, but changing the gear oil out a little early is not likely to cause any harm unless the exchange is botched. Waiting a little too long might cause some harm, it's really about how comfortable you feel.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So the front has never been changed since the gear installation? I'd change it. Like he said, it's quick and cheap so why not?

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
So I've started a couple of threads about this but didn't really get much of a response so I'll try again. I got 5:13 gears installed in August and got the rear diff fluid changed after 500 miles but was advised by the mechanic that I could wait to get the front changed if I'm not going to be using the four-wheel drive much. Since then we've had a couple of bad hurricanes and a couple of bad storms so I've used it a little more than I thought maybe around 125 miles in four-wheel drive. My question is should I wait now with the winter here in New York or should I just go ahead and finally get it changed now? Thanks
I think 125 miles in 4wheel drive with over 500 in 2WD is Plenty of miles on it to qualify for a first change of the front diff. fluid... Remember, unfortunately any excess metal powder in the diff fluid negatively effects the locker sensors in the Rubicon. In a Rubicon, it is best to keep the diff. fluids completely metal powder free.

Sponsored

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group
Thanks guys. I'm gonna get it done this week.
Here is a tip... loosen the fill plug before you drain the lube... and use the lube the gear mfg specified.
Sponsored