Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Going to park this here for future use by people that HAVEN'T bought a bumper and front receiver. It's a good compromise of the two.

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90212.htm
Did you notice their response on capability? It's meant for bike racks, not the weight of my car hauler, etc. Would not withstand a snow plow. I think the one asking was asking about backing a boat into the water or whatever. The response back was no, it's not made for that.

What I got out of that discussion was it's fine for a bike rack.
Sounds like they don't want 400 pounds put on it.
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Did you notice their response on capability? It's meant for bike racks, not the weight of my car hauler, etc. Would not withstand a snow plow. I think the one asking was asking about backing a boat into the water or whatever. The response back was no, it's not made for that.

What I got out of that discussion was it's fine for a bike rack.
Sounds like they don't want 400 pounds put on it.
I can't find the "discussion" you speak of.

But one of the prominent lines in the ad is
"Welded 2" front receiver included. Perfect for moving a trailer around in tight spaces or down a boat ramp, beach fishing pole holders, and mounts for an overhead canoe rack. "

So right there it says it's perfect for moving a trailer or taking a boat down a ramp.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

"Welded 2" front receiver included. Perfect for moving a trailer around in tight spaces or down a boat ramp, beach fishing pole holders, and mounts for an overhead canoe rack. "

So right there it says it's perfect for moving a trailer or taking a boat down a ramp.
Yeah.... they don't mention how large or small a trailer.
I'll have to search for the other posts about how they said it really wasn't intended for certain things.

I'd not personally use a bumper welded receiver to move my trailer back into it's spot, especially with a car on it.

Here it is - syreeves post
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...per-and-a-curt-front-hitch.36723/#post-615301

Here's his post -
I researched this a bit. Called Rockhard 4x4 - very nice and straight up. They said the front receiver on their front bumper was designed for mounting bike racks. I explained my intended use (pushing a boat down a long narrow launch in a remote lake I like) and Rockhard said they didn't design their bumper for that kind use. I get it though - a full strength class III hitch mounted on the front takes a lot more steel to integrate into a bumper. Agree a curt hitch would work and they seem to have that application available standard so I might have to fabricate something... anyway sorry for rambling. My point is that the Rockhard 4x4 will not do what a staight up Curt will do...

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist

I'll have to search for the other posts about how they said it really wasn't intended for certain things.

I'd not personally use a bumper welded receiver to move my trailer back into it's spot, especially with a car on it.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...per-and-a-curt-front-hitch.36723/#post-615301

Here's his post -
I researched this a bit. Called Rockhard 4x4 - very nice and straight up. They said the front receiver on their front bumper was designed for mounting bike racks. I explained my intended use (pushing a boat down a long narrow launch in a remote lake I like) and Rockhard said they didn't design their bumper for that kind use. I get it though - a full strength class III hitch mounted on the front takes a lot more steel to integrate into a bumper. Agree a curt hitch would work and they seem to have that application available standard so I might have to fabricate something... anyway sorry for rambling. My point is that the Rockhard 4x4 will not do what a staight up Curt will do...
Advertisement buzz words don't matter. What are the specs and weight rating or what was it tested to.

Agree with @ShadowsPapa. It depends on what you are trying to move or hold up there. I use my tractor to move my trailers around (welded receiver stock to the top of the bucket), so wouldn't use my JT for that. Tractor works great for most trailers, but my old toy hauler with ~800 lb tongue weight would tip the tractor if trailer was loaded nose heavy (but great test of trailer tongue weight!). If you start talking about uneven ground (i.e. boat ramp, sloped hill), it gets trickier even with lighter ~2000 lb trailers.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Advertisement buzz words don't matter. What are the specs and weight rating or what was it tested to.

Agree with @ShadowsPapa. It depends on what you are trying to move or hold up there. I use my tractor to move my trailers around (welded receiver stock to the top of the bucket), so wouldn't use my JT for that. Tractor works great for most trailers, but my old toy hauler with ~800 lb tongue weight would tip the tractor if trailer was loaded nose heavy (but great test of trailer tongue weight!). If you start talking about uneven ground (i.e. boat ramp, sloped hill), it gets trickier even with lighter ~2000 lb trailers.
Well dangit now I'm envious.
I sold my last tractor a while back, and I have no loader.
I used my JD lawn tractor to move things around until the JT but now with the receiver off until I figure a way to put it back, I guess it's back to the lawn tractor, and that's a pain as the ball is SOOO LOW on that. My neighbor made a bracket to raise the trailer ball up higher on his JD lawn tractor - I may copy his design.

Yeah, marketing - define trailer? My 4x6 utility trailer I can lift one end of by myself, or my 18' tilt-bed car hauler I couldn't lift on a dare or bet, or.......... my neighbors steel utility trailer.......

Sponsored

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
Well dangit now I'm envious.
I sold my last tractor a while back, and I have no loader.
I used my JD lawn tractor to move things around until the JT but now with the receiver off until I figure a way to put it back, I guess it's back to the lawn tractor, and that's a pain as the ball is SOOO LOW on that. My neighbor made a bracket to raise the trailer ball up higher on his JD lawn tractor - I may copy his design.

Yeah, marketing - define trailer? My 4x6 utility trailer I can lift one end of by myself, or my 18' tilt-bed car hauler I couldn't lift on a dare or bet, or.......... my neighbors steel utility trailer.......
Use a riser/dropper receiver on your tractor? I have the opposite problem where I need to drop the ball when on the bucket because the bottom edge of the bucket is close too the ground for most of my trailers. Bucket does make it way easier to grab the tongue rather than dropping the trailer on the fixed height ball.
Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver 90C5F6F2-D144-4941-93CC-D3D4977D5B03

Unkiebunk045

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Medical Sales
I am considering getting a snow blade for my Rubicon. Most blade manufactures do not have a regilar receiver available for the Gladiator yet. There are a couple of models that mount to a front mount hitch receiver. These are relatively light duty blades but I won't be doing more than a few driveways.

I see a couple of front hitches available on Amazon and eBay. Has anyone installed one? Any issues? Concerns?

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07CC2R...olid=27FBK48FZHN92&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
7112yRTynUL._SL1500_.jpg
Did you ever end up getting a snow plow setup? If so what did you do?

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
The DrawTite receiver uses a couple different mounting points from what Curt uses, and the cross tube is placed differently. Might this help?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The DrawTite receiver uses a couple different mounting points from what Curt uses, and the cross tube is placed differently. Might this help?
Doesn't help me - the Draw-Tite is the one that won't fit between the frame rails with those nuts in the frame - and even worse with the skid plate brackets.
I have the draw-tite receiver.
In my case, it's a matter of those fancy frame nuts PLUS the thickness of the skid plate brackets. The receiver tube just fits between the frame rails as it is, add those nuts and you'd have to spread the frame a bit - add the brackets, forget it.
The trouble in my case is that the receiver tubes are designed to go between the frame rails of a Jeep with no skid plate - and without those Mopar frame nuts.

eligius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I was thinking of buying this receiver, cutting it down to fit Gladiators frame and hiding behind front license plate. I have a plastic front bumper so cutting a hole wouldn't be a big problem.
Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver 1608390006310

Sponsored

Aero_JT

First Name
Bosco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2011 Acadia SLT AWD, 1997 Saab 9000 Aero

Here's his post -
I guess that answered it for me. I had a hard time deciding between the Rockhard bumper or just getting the Curt front receiver (keeping and cutting up the plastic bumper).

Planning to move trailers around and getting a hitch cradle for a winch so I have more flexibility in use.

Curt it is then! And keeping more precious payload capacity for my Overland is certainly a bonus. :clap::clap:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
NIce aluminum trailer.
Thanks -
and the reason I have it is rather funny, really. I had a decent car hauler but the angle and channel iron ramps were back killers and my wife knew it. But then, I didn't haul that often so I got by with her help. Then it was time to decide on WHICH Gladiator - she wanted body color fenders and roof, and certain other things. I wanted the max tow and sort of accepted I'd have to settle for not having certain other things. The 8.2 was a must-have, and with my wife, power windows and locks are a must due to her handicap.
So we're talking to the sales guy and he points out all the stuff she can't have if I get the max tow Sport S. She decides we must have the Overland because of certain features and options. The sales guy and I explain the differences in towing capability...... and I explain how my current trailer was something like 2200 pounds - empty...... with a car I was pushing what I considered my "safe zone" for towing (staying a certain amount under the rated max)
So she pipes up - "So just go buy a new lighter trailer"
OK, I told the sales guy - you heard her - I'll be going out and buying a new trailer.
Aluma - tilt bed gets rid of ramps - pull pins, walk down the bed and it tilts, drive car onto trailer until the bed starts to move back down (it moves slowly as it's dampened hydraulically) and that's pretty much were you want to strap the car on. People say it's well situated when the bed lowers back down.
ALL aluminum except axles, jack and the hitch itself. Frame - 100% aluminum, aluminum wheels.
Empty without tool box and spare it's 1500 pounds. I shaved over 500 pounds off the trailer weight alone. The tire carrier is all aluminum, the tool box empty I could pick up with one hand so it's got to be light. I figure with the accessories it's still only about 1600 pounds.

I took it to Omaha to get a couple of AMC dealership signs a friend had and was holding for me -that's what's on the trailer in the pics. They are rare, hard to find signs. Will likely have them restored and put on my shop.

My shop is at the far east side of our property, almost against the property line. I use the neighbor's drive to get to my shop (his shop is back there, too). His drive is narrow, far from straight and on quite a hill. When I get back there, there's limited space to turn around (can't do it with a full-sized truck) and then I have to make a tight turn and get it parked between my shop and the next property. I have to miss his trailer and block walls in the process. So it's not something you do with a big truck and a rear hitch. I have to pull it down to the front of my shop, unhitch, and either use a front hitch or my lawn tractor. It's some stress on the hitch with the sharp turns and inclines in the area.
I'm in trouble if he dies or sells or whatever so I'm going to chat with him about some sort of "easement" and share deal on that driveway so if anyone else buys their place I'll still have driveway access. I'd even pay to maintain it if that's what it took.

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This is the SnowSport Gladiator Kit for my Sport. Came with Draw-Tite 65079 mount and 45 minutes to install To the truck. Minor plastic air dam modification. This is a manual floating plow with no power or hydraulics. It is winch capable but for me it’s so easy to use without it and I’m disabled/retired. $1800 complete with taxes and shipping. Does offer a winch option.
Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver FCCB4E45-1BC3-45DF-8917-247CE5B940BD
Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver 016A3976-62E2-4C62-B579-E538C9360DFD
Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver BC8EC794-8B25-4ACE-9894-8EE528BAC994
Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver 308DFA81-E0A8-481B-9039-5ADEBADD6BA9
Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver BA13526A-A3C4-4F9F-A72D-EC6D682D4821
Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver D8DE2FF8-D1E0-4E8A-9089-8E11278809AC
Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver 42B13E87-2858-40AE-B62B-E6B191C3041D
Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver B0FE4142-8DC9-4542-8CCA-E6CF25836562
Sponsored

Last edited: