Bacon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR-LE
The Jeep:
2020 JTLE, Icon 2.5" suspension (springs in front, pucks in rear), AEV geo brackets, Savegre II, 37" BFG KO2, Yeti track bar..
11,500 Miles

The suspension was professionally installed in early 2020. The wheels were road force balanced, and everything was rechecked at 500 miles including checking the wheels for balance.. One wheel needed a little more weight at the 500 mile mark and things seemed ok-ish at that point. I got the steering TSB performed in late 2020.

Problem:
I'm dealing with a shimmy that's the result of the front wheels visibly wobbling by maybe 1/2" or so at 60+ mph. The wheels have been rotated several times at oil changes and the problem seems to persist. I put on the Fox ATS stabilizer today and dialed it up to 20 clicks, it's a firmer ride, but the shimmy is still there. It's not even close to death wobble, but it's annoying.

Is there anything obvious that I'm missing here?
Sponsored

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
It's possible that there could be a cord separating in the tire.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
Does the yeti track bar utilize factory bushings?

my money is in a bad bushing in your track bar.

OP
OP
Bacon

Bacon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR-LE
It's possible that there could be a cord separating in the tire.
I'm not sure this follows any particular tire, but I do have an oil change coming up at 12k and will see if the rotation I usually get has any effect. I did think maybe one of them was out of round or something, but you may be onto something.

Does the yeti track bar utilize factory bushings?

my money is in a bad bushing in your track bar.
I'm pretty sure the Yeti bar comes with its own bushings. I have the factory track bar in my garage and I think it still has bushings at both ends.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
I'm not sure this follows any particular tire, but I do have an oil change coming up at 12k and will see if the rotation I usually get has any effect. I did think maybe one of them was out of round or something, but you may be onto something.

I'm pretty sure the Yeti bar comes with its own bushings. I have the factory track bar in my garage and I think it still has bushings at both ends.
Swap back to the factory bar, torque to spec. See if it goes away.
Iā€™d be curious to know if your tire rotation fixes it.

Sponsored

minimight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mojave
Funny this came up. I am getting a similar issue with Savegre IIs and 37" KO2s. I am all stock except a Teraflex 1.5" puck leveling kit in the front. I haven't done any rotating yet but was planning on doing that this weekend. I was told by the tire installer that one of the KO2s took a good amount of weight (9oz. on one side) but it did end up balancing out. I put that one on the passenger rear to keep it as far away possible thinking that if there was an issue I wouldn't feel it in the front. Not sure if that tire is the issue or not but curious you have the same issue with the same rim/tire combo.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Check and make sure the disk retaining clips are not on the rotors, I do not think the AEV wheels have the area around the lug stud hole dished out to clear the retaining clips.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
torque spec everything.

grab all the parts firmly and check for play in bushings.

rotate tires front/rear.

Other more involved things, rebalance tires, ensure the caster angle is not too steep, mount a gropro under there and post videos.

minimight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mojave
Check and make sure the disk retaining clips are not on the rotors, I do not think the AEV wheels have the area around the lug stud hole dished out to clear the retaining clips.
Didnā€™t think of this one. Iā€™ll have to check that.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
My guess is either bad ball joints or bad tie rod ends.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bacon

Bacon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR-LE
My guess is either bad ball joints or bad tie rod ends.
Fair points. Iā€™ll thoroughly check everything, but this is a year old vehicle thatā€™s never been on anything more than a dirt road. Iā€™d be amazed if 12k miles was enough to wear the ball joints or rod ends.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Fair points. Iā€™ll thoroughly check everything, but this is a year old vehicle thatā€™s never been on anything more than a dirt road. Iā€™d be amazed if 12k miles was enough to wear the ball joints or rod ends.
Id normally agree, but 37ā€™s trash those parts stock. I just put the Dana HD ball joints in and its definitely tighter

EP_Nic

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Have you found a solution to this I am also experiencing this same issue. I also need to know what these retaining clips are everyone is talking about removing.

OP
OP
Bacon

Bacon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR-LE
I have an appointment with the shop who did the install on March 9th to check everything. They are very well known and I have had them look at this before where they checked the torque on everything, this resulted in additional 1oz put on one wheel. This isn't my first time with 37's, but it is with KO2s. I wonder if they are the culprit.

SteveA

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xxxx
Occupation
Unemployed
Had a Tundra that did much the same thing running 35's on MotoMetal wheels (I know it's not apples to apples). We tried everything I.E. several balancing's at different shops, swapping tires front to back, warranting tires, front end inspections, steering dampers etc. Finally one shop spun the wheels without tires. Turned out the larger than stock rubber was masking a wheel blem issue. Funny thing is the truck vibrated through the steering wheel regardless of the tire being in front or rear (however a little less). Good luck!
Sponsored