First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I'm running 35's and have 2.5" of lift on mine plus I've added Rubicon rails to mine. I would think I'm pretty close to a stock Rubicon in weight if not having more weight on mine with the added stuff. 200lbs is not going to make a 2-3mpg difference on a vehicle. That would like saying if I had 5 adults riding in the vehicle I would get 2 mpg less and I can tell you I have had 4 adults and a 5yr old in mine and the gas mileage stayed the same.
your tires and the frontal area of your truck are larger than a Rubicon so I would not expect to be the same.
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
your tires and the frontal area of your truck are larger than a Rubicon so I would not expect to be the same.
I have 4:10 gears what comes with the Max Tow. So your saying that because I'm running larger tires and have a larger frontal area I'm getting better gas mileage than a stock Rubicon. That's doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

People are saying that they are only getting 14-15 MPGs on their stock Rubicons and I'm getting well over 18 on my Max tow. Never been below 18

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I have 4:10 gears what comes with the Max Tow. So your saying that because I'm running larger tires and have a larger frontal area I'm getting better gas mileage than a stock Rubicon. That's doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
‘No I thought you weren’t getting as good mileage. Sorry for any misunderstanding..

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
My max tow get around 22 on the highway and 17 mixed. But I look at as if you are getting a Jeep, gas mileage is really not a big consideration.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
My max tow get around 22 on the highway and 17 mixed. But I look at as if you are getting a Jeep, gas mileage is really not a big consideration.
Yeah gas mileage isn't a concern for me either. But if my stock JT was only getting 14-15 MPGs I would be concerned. My Heavily modded 2010 JKU with 3:73 gears got gas mileage like that, even was able to get up to 17 on the HWY with it. I can't see how a Rubicon would get such crappy gas mileage.

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
I'm running 35's and have 2.5" of lift on mine plus I've added Rubicon rails to mine. I would think I'm pretty close to a stock Rubicon in weight if not having more weight on mine with the added stuff. 200lbs is not going to make a 2-3mpg difference on a vehicle. That would like saying if I had 5 adults riding in the vehicle I would get 2 mpg less and I can tell you I have had 4 adults and a 5yr old in mine and the gas mileage stayed the same.
Look I don't know what to say or tell you. I can't explain why a stock rubicon doesn't get as good of MPG as your almost exactly spec'd to a rubicon JT.

My stock JTR is currently averaging 15.7mpg (combined) which is up since the weather is nicer. Someone smarter than me will need to explain the differences in mpg per trim level.

Having trim level MPG differences is not a surprise to me since the Wrangler line seems to be the same way based on research I have done.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Look I don't know what to say or tell you. I can't explain why a stock rubicon doesn't get as good of MPG as your almost exactly spec'd to a rubicon JT.

My stock JTR is currently averaging 15.7mpg (combined) which is up since the weather is nicer. Someone smarter than me will need to explain the differences in mpg per trim level.

Having trim level MPG differences is not a surprise to me since the Wrangler line seems to be the same way based on research I have done.
The wrangler lines come down to gearing, that's why the difference in MPGs. Some are 3.21, 3.73, and 4.10 gears. A wrangler with the same gears stock, 07-11 will have pretty much the same gas mileage, 12-18, pretty much the same and 18-20 the same. I haven't saw Jeep wranglers with the same gear ratios with 2-3 mpg swings stock. Across the board they are pretty close to the same when modded as well. It seems strange that two JTs with the same gears are getting such different gas mileage. I still think tuning from the factory has something to do with it.

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
The wrangler lines come down to gearing, that's why the difference in MPGs. Some are 3.21, 3.73, and 4.10 gears. A wrangler with the same gears stock, 07-11 will have pretty much the same gas mileage, 12-18, pretty much the same and 18-20 the same. I haven't saw Jeep wranglers with the same gear ratios with 2-3 mpg swings stock. Across the board they are pretty close to the same when modded as well. It seems strange that two JTs with the same gears are getting such different gas mileage. I still think tuning from the factory has something to do with it.
Do you think they would have different tuning? What would be a reason to do so?

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Do you think they would have different tuning? What would be a reason to do so?
I'm not sure unless it comes down to the towing capacity of the Max Tow. I do know that when I tuned my 2010 Jku to run higher octane gas it bumped the mpgs up some. Even when I just ran the 87 octane tune with the Superchips Flashpaqs, I saw a 1.5 mpg increase from when I just had it recalibrated for tires only. I'm just guessing as far as the JT and Rubicon vs Max Tow goes. I am not an engineer but I feel like it has to do with how it shifts or tuning.

Sponsored

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
And I might add that I'm kind of a lead foot, and the exhaust sound the Gladiator makes does not make it easy to be lite on the throttle when the light turns green.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
People are saying that they are only getting 14-15 MPGs on their stock Rubicons and I'm getting well over 18 on my Max tow. Never been below 18
Comparing MPGs is silly. Perhaps you don't realize that MPGs is not an exact science unless a robot drives each vehicle the exact same way on the exact same roads. You never got below 18 MPGs is like me saying my electricity bill was never above $50. WTF does that even mean?

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Comparing MPGs is silly. Perhaps you don't realize that MPGs is not an exact science unless a robot drives each vehicle the exact same way on the exact same roads. You never got below 18 MPGs is like me saying my electricity bill was never above $50. WTF does that even mean?
It means my average or anytime I'm driving the vehicle it Nevers averages below 18 no matter where I'm driving. I keep track Everytime I get in the vehicle, for business purposes, every single time I drive it. All of my vehicles are registered under my business so I get a good tax deduction on this stuff. The jeep has never been below 18 and never averaged below 18 on any drive I've done. That's what it means, not even when my wife drives it. The trip gets reset, not the average but the other screen trip that averages each drive.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Also not saying it's a exact science but even me self calculating the miles it averages well above 18mpgs. Most drives are around 18.5-18.7 around town, and up to 22 on a Couple decent trips. Sitting idle in drive thrus or in the drive way hurts my average worse than driving it.

Sure everyone drives vehicles differently but I still don't see the average fluctuating by 3mpgs, it didn't do that with my JKUs when compared to a ton of others with a similar setup as me. We all averaged close to the same or within 1mpg if each other.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Also not saying it's a exact science but even me self calculating the miles it averages well above 18mpgs. Most drives are around 18.5-18.7 around town, and up to 22 on a Couple decent trips. Sitting idle in drive thrus or in the drive way hurts my average worse than driving it.

Sure everyone drives vehicles differently but I still don't see the average fluctuating by 3mpgs, it didn't do that with my JKUs when compared to a ton of others with a similar setup as me. We all averaged close to the same or within 1mpg if each other.
Please - this is silliness. If you drive downhill at low altitudes you'll always get great mileage. If you drive up hills and mountains a lot you'll get poor MPGs.

So you get 18.5 - 22 MPGs. That's not at all typical and while it's good for you it's hard to believe for most JEEP Gladiator owners.

YMMV :facepalm:
Sponsored