First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
Somehow this became a thread about Bed liner products but getting back to your initial question, the bed is plenty strong. As other have mentioned it’s made of steel other than the tailgate which is aluminum. The only other things to watch out for in the bed is that if you get the 120v inverter and plug, it is a plastic plug and cover, and obviously the bed lights that most factory trucks come with now are plastic and could get smashed.

I’ve hauled plenty of firewood in mine so far and it’s done just fine. I did notice that like pretty much every other truck the factory paint in the bed is prone to scratching almost immediately so some sort of Bed liner is recommended (pick your poison). I went with Rhino because there is a local guy who sprays it and does a very high quality job, and it’s done extremely well for me thus far.

here’s a pic of us loading part of the bed with firewood the other day in prep for a cookout. Obviously you can load it up a lot more than what’s shown here.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator bed durability 31BBBBD5-615C-4EBC-A05E-FC9C09148FA0
Sponsored

trust

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep Scrambler, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Any suggestions for removing factory spray in bedliner from the factory rail holes and captive nuts? I don't want to drill them out and install rivnuts or something akin. Simply retap them? Are they 6mm?

Thanks

Paden501

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
You might get away with running a bolt through them, but you'd be better off chasing them with a tap.

The holes in the front of the bed that mount a tonneau are M8, and I believe that the rail system bolts are either M8 or M6.

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
Yup, I'll be getting the bedliner.
So, I got the Linex upgraded slick bedliner and it is so much nicer than the regular factory bedliner. It was about $100 more, but you hose it down and it cleans up. Doesn’t tear your pants when you crawl around on it. Only way to go.

jc

Sponsored

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I have had both kinds of bed liners. I got the factory spray in with the Gladiator. I really prefer the spray in over a drop in but the one use case for the drop in that might make it better would be Firewood. You can throw it in the bed and not worry about it. The negative to drop-ins is stuff slides around a lot easier. (Which in some cases could be a plus). You could do a spray with a mat.

trust

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you gents. I definitely do not want to have to extract broken bolts.... I'll check out theother thread

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I used the sets of two threaded holes on the sides near the back (close to the love 419). I tapped them first, carefully so as not to cross-thread. The holes I have seen were M6 x 1.0. I tried to use an exacto knife to cut away some of the factory bed liner at the holes, but not much luck there.

trust

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks whiteglad

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
The holes are M6X1. I ran bolts into mine prior to spraying. The spray guys picked up on what I was doing and masked off the bolt heads then cleaned up the coating before it set. AWESOME!
If your tapped holes are gunked up, I suggest gently running the proper drill in at slow speed. (The right drill is .236“ did, or 5mm). This will remove the majority of the crud without affecting the threads. Then turn the tap in BY HAND with a tap wrench. Be careful, the tap can crossthread if you aren’t on the ball.

Sponsored

trust

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks empty pockets. Had I been able to get mine sans factory berliner I'd have protected the holes and threads before getting it sprayed but fca didnt bother.

I bought a 6mm tap today and have chased all of them already and will probably get something up this weekend. I'm wrestling between unistrut like stuff or the Macs alum channels with the push button anchor rings. I have the later and a bunch of rings but of course the holes will all need refilling as the rail holes dont line up at all. I have strut too already but very few nuts left and they may also need drilling out....

Thanks for the help guys!

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
The factory bedliner is extremely durable in my experience. I do not take it easy with it, have hauled forewood, dragged metal (old dishwasher) across it and abused the tailgate with only some marks on the plastic tailgate cap and outlet cover to show for it. That's a 300+lb 24' rough cut 4x12 hanging off the tailgate.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator bed durability 20200627_113143
Sponsored