Gladiator Door Not Flush

JKLivin833

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Hey everyone. I’ve had my JTR for almost 2 weeks. I noticed this morning that the passenger side front door was not flush along part of the bottom. I opened and closed multiple times, and to no effect. I thought it may be the MOPAR door sill guards, but they do not come in contact with the door or the seal, so that’s not the case. My first JK was a lemon and Chrysler bought it back due to the fact that after multiple trips, they could not get the JK to quit leaking water. Obviously, I’m concerned here. I’ve contacted Jeep Cares, and I have a case number. I’ll be taking it to a local dealer next Monday for them to look at it on the spot. Any thoughts or guidance?

thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JKLivin833

JKLivin833

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Comparison shot

2AA4266E-DF44-4ABD-9BE6-B565F61A1A93.jpeg

63D46C88-2348-4D91-AFF0-0FB382E47835.jpeg

OP
OP
JKLivin833

JKLivin833

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
@JeepCares

other updates: Now with almost 2 weeks in I’m seeing production issues

1) the gap above
2) passenger side cowl sticks out slightly and not flush
3) paint defect on lower passenger front door. I’m not sure if it’s a clear coat issue or what.
4) front passenger side headlight surround has a noticeable scratch. I noticed it right after delivery but since I didn’t point it out at delivery the dealer will not assist.
5) driver side door near top edge has a spot where a slight amount of metal is showing. It looks like it may have been done during painting as there are a couple of raised areas of paint and the small metal spots.

This is my 3rd Jeep (2 JKs prior) so I get the whole “it’s a jeep thing”, but at 50k it’s hard to argue quality control. I know things get passed people. I drove it for almost 2 weeks before noticing most of these things. Once I noticed the passenger door being misaligned I started inspecting everything more, and am finding one issue after the other. Let’s hope Jeep steps up.

Nannook of the north

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport
I hate to be that guy but... I think you're nitpicking

As for the doors they're adjustable via the hinges, a quick search should help you find this. Maybe not necessarily here but other wrangler forums.

Sponsored

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Were the sill guards factory installed?

OP
OP
JKLivin833

JKLivin833

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
I hate to be that guy but... I think you're nitpicking

As for the doors they're adjustable via the hinges, a quick search should help you find this. Maybe not necessarily here but other wrangler forums.
While yes they are are adjustable, as I know from previous Wranglers, they should be correct from the factory. Due to a previous bad experience with a new wrangler, I need FCA to know they came this way in case it causes issues down the road. The wrangler I’m speaking of could never get its doors aligned, and because of that had a massive leak form.

OP
OP
JKLivin833

JKLivin833

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Were the sill guards factory installed?
They were not. I thought initially they may be causing it. The MOPAR guards, however, make no contact with the door, the seals, or anything, so they’re not obstructing it.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hi @JKLivin833,

We're sorry to learn that you have a concern with your Gladiator. We recommend that you continue working with your case manager and dealer for additional support. Please let us know if you need assistance getting in contact with your case manager.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
JKLivin833

JKLivin833

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Hi @JKLivin833,

We're sorry to learn that you have a concern with your Gladiator. We recommend that you continue working with your case manager and dealer for additional support. Please let us know if you need assistance getting in contact with your case manager.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Darlene,

Thank you. I am not working with the original dealer as they are located 300 miles away. I will keep you posted

Sponsored

OP
OP
JKLivin833

JKLivin833

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Just an update. I took the Gladiator to a local dealer today for pictures and a look over. We found that the seal on the rear passenger door window is rolling out and the foam is exposed, so less than 3 weeks old and a seal is failing. The dealer said they’d never seen that particular issue. The other issues were documented. Also, along the bottom of the driver door edge (who ever looks there) an area was found that was silver and rough. The silver area was raised above the paint, so it’s not damage from opening and closing onto something. Seriously FCA, any quality control? I love this truck, and that’s why it’s so frustrating.
@JeepCares

CA9FE9F8-2855-4689-A147-C1E7C939137F.jpeg

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Just an update. I took the Gladiator to a local dealer today for pictures and a look over. We found that the seal on the rear passenger door window is rolling out and the foam is exposed, so less than 3 weeks old and a seal is failing. The dealer said they’d never seen that particular issue. The other issues were documented. Also, along the bottom of the driver door edge (who ever looks there) an area was found that was silver and rough. The silver area was raised above the paint, so it’s not damage from opening and closing onto something. Seriously FCA, any quality control? I love this truck, and that’s why it’s so frustrating.
@JeepCares

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Door Not Flush CA9FE9F8-2855-4689-A147-C1E7C939137F
Thank you for providing this update. I certainly understand how frustrating this is. At this time, are you still working with a case manager for support?

Darlene
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
JKLivin833

JKLivin833

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Thank you for providing this update. I certainly understand how frustrating this is. At this time, are you still working with a case manager for support?

Darlene
Jeep Cares
@JeepCares

I am. I am expecting a call back this afternoon. Hopefully this will get rectified soon as my Gladiator is less than 3 weeks old and we’ve identified multiple issues with the truck that should not have passed QC. Obviously, I know things happen, I’m not unreasonable, it just seems like so many things on 1 vehicle.

I really love this truck.....like really. Really, it’s a smiles per gallon rating that’s out of the water. I’m just so frustrated that a vehicle that’s brand new and costs this much has so many flaws. A door not aligning, a seal that’s already defective, and a door that has textured metal coming out of the paint is astonishing. As I said, I’m certainly not upset with you all assisting me, and I look forward to a resolution. I’ve had more expensive and less expensive vehicles from different brands, and have just never seen stuff like this. My only QC issue new vehicles have been Jeep branded sadly. Still, love the Gladiator.

Last edited:

RatZer0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JT
Occupation
Manufacturing Stellantis
@JeepCares

I am. I am expecting a call back this afternoon. Hopefully this will get rectified soon as my Gladiator is less than 3 weeks old and we’ve identified multiple issues with the truck that should not have passed QC. Obviously, I know things happen, I’m not unreasonable, it just seems like so many things on 1 vehicle.
Definitely. I build cars for a living and was at various times responsible for door fit and entry seals. Door fit is something that's checked in the final stage of production, adjustments are made when required since there will always be an off fit now and then. Generally, the striker (the metal plate bolted to the door frame) has play built in to allow the door to close inwards or outwards depending on fit.

Every car has alot of hands working on it, which is why like you said QC is a requirement to verify everything is how it should be. Anomalies exist however but in those cases, problems should be addressed.

OP
OP
JKLivin833

JKLivin833

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Definitely. I build cars for a living and was at various times responsible for door fit and entry seals. Door fit is something that's checked in the final stage of production, adjustments are made when required since there will always be an off fit now and then. Generally, the striker (the metal plate bolted to the door frame) has play built in to allow the door to close inwards or outwards depending on fit.

Every car has alot of hands working on it, which is why like you said QC is a requirement to verify everything is how it should be. Anomalies exist however but in those cases, problems should be addressed.
Agreed. An @JeepCares rep said they’ll need to look into if I caused the problems. Really?!?! Cause I just took a brand new 50k truck and decided to start pulling a door out of alignment, screw up a seal, and somehow reverse manufacture a door and put a defect in the bottom. Not only that, the passenger door that doesn’t align has a paint defect in it. The service department at the dealer stated it was a paint blob done by the factory. It they can’t paint a door without a defect, why would a door that doesn’t sit flush be a shock?
Sponsored